Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf Mk7 Towing/Towbar Thread

Golf Mk7 Towing/Towbar Thread

Has anyone fitted a towbar to their Mk7 yet? Saw this in youtube:

Volkswagen Golf Mk7 rear tow hook - YouTube and wondered if this is available here in Australia.

Would love to have a towbar for a bike rack.

Cheers

No - but I'm in the same position. The dealer stated that the specifications haven't been released as of yet. No ETA on when they would be.
    Last edited by Theothercarisabike; 29-07-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zkaizen View Post
    Has anyone fitted a towbar to their Mk7 yet? Saw this in youtube:

Volkswagen Golf Mk7 rear tow hook - YouTube and wondered if this is available here in Australia.

Would love to have a towbar for a bike rack.
    Cheers
    Would have to be ADR compliant to be legal and havent seen one like that that qualifies.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Golf Mk 7 Towbar

thanks folks for the replies, guess I have to look at using roof racks as bike carriers...being new to golf and cars without roof rails, does the installation of golf roof racks cause water leaks between the mounting points and door seals?

Quote Originally Posted by zkaizen View Post
    being new to golf and cars without roof rails, does the installation of golf roof racks cause water leaks between the mounting points and door seals?
    I've never had leak issues on my mk5 (rola brand roof racks), I doubt the design is too far different on the 7.
    MKV Golf 2.0 TDI DSG Sportline. Just nice.

I've had roof racks on a Mk V and now on the Mk VII, no leaks around the door seals at all. I prefer my bike on the roof as opposed to the towbar mounted units.

Users Country Flag

Tow Bar Trepidation

Test drove a new Comfortline today, and we were nearly ready to seal the deal. But then the sales guy told us that tow-bars were 'not available yet.' We have a fun little tear-drop camper that we love taking on holidays and would hate to risk not being able to tow it. Does anyone know what the issue is with tow bar availability in Australia? Is it safe to assume they'll actually become available? (We're not planning a holiday til around April, so will happily buy the car and wait for the bar - as long as it's definitely coming!)

Advice?

I have been asking VW Aust for the last 3 months - I have been told they will become available but they cant give me a date. I know Hayman Reese have a setup for the Golf with the standard towbar class 2.
    MY 14 Golf MK7 90TSI DSG Night Blue

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by phil38555615 View Post
    Test drove a new Comfortline today, and we were nearly ready to seal the deal. But then the sales guy told us that tow-bars were 'not available yet.' We have a fun little tear-drop camper that we love taking on holidays and would hate to risk not being able to tow it. Does anyone know what the issue is with tow bar availability in Australia? Is it safe to assume they'll actually become available? (We're not planning a holiday til around April, so will happily buy the car and wait for the bar - as long as it's definitely coming!)

Advice?
    phil38555615: I purchased a Golf Mk7 Highline in June 2013 and the same problem arose then (i.e. no tow bar). After many months of waiting I eventually negotiated with my Dealer to fit a Hayman Reece towbar instead . The tow bar was fitted in October 2013 . It was designed for a Golf Mk6 and it fitted OK (both mechanically and electrically). I have been using it ever since without any problems (it also works with the LED lights on my bike carrier without the dreaded light failure indicator comming-on on the MFD). The other good thing about this fix is that the Hayman Reece towbar has a bolt-on tongue which means no rattling noises that occur with the slide-on tongue that is supplied with the VW towbar (for the mk6). Finally, the best feature of all about this fix is that I got back a bit of money from the dealer because the cost was much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    phil38555615: I purchased a Golf Mk7 Highline in June 2013 and the same problem arose then (i.e. no tow bar). After many months of waiting I eventually negotiated with my Dealer to fit a Hayman Reece towbar instead . The tow bar was fitted in October 2013 . It was designed for a Golf Mk6 and it fitted OK (both mechanically and electrically). I have been using it ever since without any problems (it also works with the LED lights on my bike carrier without the dreaded light failure indicator comming-on on the MFD). The other good thing about this fix is that the Hayman Reece towbar has a bolt-on tongue which means no rattling noises that occur with the slide-on tongue that is supplied with the VW towbar (for the mk6). Finally, the best feature of all about this fix is that I got back a bit of money from the dealer because the cost was much lower.
    Good to hear DV52, I've been waiting since late April - initially for the car, and still for the towbar - so this could be a good option for me. Does the Hayman Reece involve cutting the rear bumper?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast