Support VWWC

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf Mk7 Towing/Towbar Thread

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Greg: My understanding is that the Hayman Reece towbar was installed with its own "black box" and loom. As I have said in a previous post, I have connected the tow bar to a trailer with standard incandescent lamps and I have also connected it to a bike rack with LED lamps. I've never had the bulb failure indicator appear on the MFD with either item attached to the towbar.

I've also checked the status of the "trailer" function on my car using a VCDS cable. As you can see in the picture below, and notwithstanding that I don't get a bulb failure indicator on the MFD, the "trailer installed" entry (i.e. bit 4 of byte 5 in the "engine" controller) is NOT ticked on my car. Yet the trailer electrics works wonderfully!

Attachment 8896
    Thanks that makes me more comfortable to go down the HR path. I note that your car is not right hand drive

Cheers,
    --
    Greg.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by lambertia View Post
    Thanks that makes me more comfortable to go down the HR path. I note that your car is not right hand drive

Cheers,
    --
    Greg.
    Greg: Very astute observation -that might explain why I have to keep getting into the passenger side to drive the car!

Seriously, whilst I consider myself to be somewhat of a "newby" where ODB2 protocols are concerned, my deeply held suspicion is that there is a hierachy of "tick" marks in the structure of the Golf's software. There are many folk on here that know a lot more about this stuff than do I, so it's entirely possible that I'm incorrect in my thinking.

Anyhow, in respect of your observation, I suspect that the entry for RH drive in the engine controller (my previous pic) is subserviant to the over-riding entry in the "Central Electronics controller". I've inclosed below a copy of the entry for the first byte of the "Elect.Cont" which clearly indicates where my steering wheel should be.

Golf Mk7 Towing/Towbar Thread-rhd_ce-jpg

I had a look at the towbar on Kevin_67 's post. It looks interesting in that it appears to have a detachable tongue (wouldn't it be great if we all had one of these?). A detachable tongue seems to be a good idea because there is no risk of inadvertantly knocking your leg on the tow bar. However, I'm not sure if the tongue will rattle when it is attached. The good thing about the HR towbar is that everything is screwed together, so no rattles. But it's easy to knock your leg into the tongue if you're not careful. The other great thing about the HR towbar (for me at least) is that it is a "standard" fitting tongue which meant that the modifications that I made to fit my bike rack were quite simple. But I acknowledge that these issues might not be so important to others.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    I'm having the HR towbar fitted as we speak. Need to tow a toilet this weekend!
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

Users Country Flag
    I'm having the HR towbar fitted as we speak. Need to tow a toilet this weekend!
    Lambertia: Let us know how it goes. As I said before, mine has worked OK for almost 12 months now.

PS: Please don't take this the wrong way, but there are probably better ways of dealing with the "call of the wild" (i.e. the occassional need to go to the toilet) than towing a tiolet around on the back of the car!!!! (only kidding)
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    The HR bar is only rated at 1250kg. The TDI is good for 1600. I have asked HR if they are going to do a higher rated bar for the 7.
    When I asked about the HR ecu they said its a dumb unit but does disable the reversing alarm and rear fog lights if fitted.
    I would prefer to go HR bar with VW loom.
    Last edited by TDIjeff; 25-06-2014 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typo, 1600kg not 1400kg.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Lambertia: Let us know how it goes. As I said before, mine has worked OK for almost 12 months now.

PS: Please don't take this the wrong way, but there are probably better ways of dealing with the "call of the wild" (i.e. the occassional need to go to the toilet) than towing a tiolet around on the back of the car!!!! (only kidding)
    It didn't go very well at all

It seems that the HR bar advertised as fitting the MK7 wagon does not fit it. The installer realised this after taking things off the car and called HR for confirmation. They had just realised this themselves and expect to have a tow bar ready for the Wagon in a couple of months. I guess they got caught napping a bit as I think the previous wagon was based on the MK5?

The installer was very apologetic. It's not his fault he did everything right.

A bit disappointed as I needed it this weekend. I'll need to hire a ute instead.

Cheers!
    --
    Greg

MY14 Golf Wagon Highline 1.4L TSI 103, Limestone Grey Metallic, Roof, Leather, DAC.

Users Country Flag
    When I was looking at a 2014 A3 HR said they did not have a bar for it and offered a free bar and fitting if I let them have the car for two lots of two days.
    If they didn't offer you the same deal then they must have already started a design.

Users Country Flag
    It didn't go very well at all

It seems that the HR bar advertised as fitting the MK7 wagon does not fit it.
    A bit disappointed as I needed it this weekend. I'll need to hire a ute instead.

Cheers!
    Lambertia: Sorry to hear about the mix-up. In my case the mk6 Golf towbar fitted nicely to the mk7 Golf- without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TDIjeff
    The HR bar is only rated at 1250kg. The TDI is good for 1400. I have asked HR if they are going to do a higher rated bar for the 7.
    TDIJeff: I agree that the bigger rating is probably better, but the real question is :how much load would you be prepared to tow on a mkVII (any model)? I'm not sure that I would ever consider putting anything close to 1250Kgs on the back of my Golf. I suspect that the more important issue for those of us that have a tow-bar on a mk7 series VW (be it Golf, or Wagon) is the volumetric size of the trailer (rather than actual Kgs). But I acknowledge that other mk7 owners may have different needs.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by TDIjeff View Post
    When I was looking at a 2014 A3 HR said they did not have a bar for it and offered a free bar and fitting if I let them have the car for two lots of two days.
    If they didn't offer you the same deal then they must have already started a design.
    Yes I think they have started. I didn't interact directly with HR. Maybe I should send them a message and offer them my car! I'll catch the bus for a couple of days!
    --
    Greg

Here is another option - WESTFALIA now have a presence in Aust. Looks like the A40V model has a no/minimal cut which from what I can gather is not visible.

Westfalia Automotive Australia Pty Ltd
    MY 14 Golf MK7 90TSI DSG Night Blue

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast