Support VWWC

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Golf mk7: Integrated Remote Garage Door opener/closer

I'm about to get my new GTI and I'm looking to do this mod.

My car will only have the one unused space near the top. Is there a way to turn the original blank into a working button, but still stay blank?

I'd rather it looked like it had no function. Is that possible? Is this what youd did cjn?

Will any of the buttons in the link suit the GTI, is there a difference in style? This one seems to have good reviews: 5GG927238E Multi Function PDC PLA Switch Parking Assist Button For VW Golf GTI e Golf MK7 7 2014 2015 2016 2017|Car Switches & Relays| - AliExpress

Thanks

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
    Is there a way to turn the original blank into a working button, but still stay blank?

I'd rather it looked like it had no function. Is that possible?
    Thanks
    genebaby: Hi - I'm surprised that this DIY project is still of interest after all these years!!

Anyhow as to your question - my suspicion is that the short answer is No (at least not for OEM switch banks).

The longer answer goes something like this - below is a picture of the underside of a "working button" and a "blank button". I've also included in the picture the switch insert that is used by the working button to reach the rubber pad at the bottom of the housing. The rubber pad presses up against copper traces on the printed circuit board (also located at the bottom of the housing) creating the physical switch.

So, clearly the underside is very different for the 2 x plates. To further explain how the OEM switch operates, the tag that I have circled on the switch insert slots into the square hole that I have circled on the inside of the working button. To make a blank operate as a working button, you will need to re-create these recesses.

I recall trying to do something like this in my first attempt at this project without success. But perhaps you have better fabrication skills!!

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 04-07-2020 at 05:09 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Ha ha, this sort of thing is something I can appreciate. A friend helped me do this when we bought a Triton 2 years ago. That was easy, a blank switch from eBay and wire it up. So we have a stealth garage remote in that car, and I was keen for the same in the new Golf.

That pic does explain what is going on quite well. Removal of the blanks insides is one thing, but the slot is another. I will do some more looking around while I wait for the car. Once I have this going it will be pretty sweet.

What I have just done is bought two more switches from Aliexpress. One with 1 button and one with two buttons, so hopefully I can merge everything into a switch with two working buttons as per normal and the third a working, but blank, button for the garage. We shall see.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

Whoa, I just rang VW spare parts for cable 000979009E, the price has gone up to a crazy $44!!!!

What would be a good substitute. I thought $15 was bad, but this is nuts.

Whoa, I just rang VW spare parts for cable 000979009E, the price has gone up to a crazy $44!!!!

What would be a good substitute. I thought $15 was bad, but this is nuts.
    What??? $44 for a short length of wire with 2 x connectors is outrageous!!

If you re-read my first post (the bit where I show a picture of the OEM connector), you will find that I had considered using a connector from Jaycar(CAT NO: HP1260) - a pack of 25 x connectors retails for just under $6.

Here's a picture showing the OEM connector and the Jaycar connector side-by-side (in the background is the PC board for the switch and the 10 x pins). As you can see the Jaycar connector is a little different, but I reckon that it might work. I tried placing the Jaycar connector over one of the pins on the PC board and it was a good snug fit (which is what you want - bearing in mind that the garage door opener isn't a high power device)

Don

PS: If you can't get the jaycar connectors locally - PM your address and I'll throw a few into an envelope and mail them to you
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Thanks Don, the parts guy was surprised and quite helpful, he wanted to know the part of was plugging into in case another cable fit.

He mentioned that prices may have risen recently.

I'll check Jaycar tomorrow, thanks for the heads up.

How long ideally does this cable need to be Don? I bought the connectors, just need some wire, thanks.
    Last edited by genebaby; 18-07-2020 at 01:48 PM.

How long ideally does this cable need to be Don? I bought the connectors, just need some wire, thanks.
    genebaby: The length of the 2 x switch wires (with their connectors) depends on where you intend to put the modified remote device. On my original Golf, I decided to place the remote device behind the glove-box in a space next to the "C" fuse-board (see the last picture in post #1) - so the wires had to extend from the glove-box to the new modified switch bank on the center console.

However, these lots of space in the cavity underneath the center console around the area where you will replace the switch-bank. If you happy to place the remote in this cavity a wire length of 10 -20 cms should be more than enough - IMO.

When you completed the project, wrap the remote in foam and secure it with a cable-tie to a suitable lug (somewhere convenient) so that it doesn't rattle.

Don

Thanks, the simplest would be to keep it close by on battery power, but I do like the fuse box power, it depends on how much my friend wants to do.

How long do you think it is to the fuse box, 1m?

When I get my car in a few days I'll have a look at this stuff in it.

The AliExpress seller advised they don't have the single button switch anymore so I'm getting a new set of two and three button switches, thus leaving my original one alone.

Hopefully I can get what I want out of it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast