Support VWWC

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf mk7: Integrated Remote Garage Door opener/closer

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Mine hangs off the keychain...
    I regularly walk around with just my keyfob & leave house keys in car, so I have a clip to release the GTI keyfob easily...

Golf mk7: Integrated Remote Garage Door opener/closer-4xv8pnu-jpg

Golf mk7: Integrated Remote Garage Door opener/closer-g2um41i-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
    Just don't forget to close it or you'll bang your shin on it, like I have several times. Man it hurts....
    Luckily it's just out of reach of my chin/knee....I've forgotten to close it whilst driving a few times & haven't noticed until well into the trip..

No where near as impressive as what DV52's come up with!
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglehawk View Post
    Mine hangs off the keychain...
    Yeah, I used to do that but now my car has keyless everything having a minimalist keyfob that never leaves my pocket means extra things attached to it is annoying!

It's a tough life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Thanks DV52 for the detailed instructions.

I'm interested in seeing if I can replicate your good work. A few questions if I may.

Why do you need to purchase a second set of switches? Couldn't the blanks be used on the original or are they missing the switch component?

From the following thread I thought different part numbers were required for the switch modules?

Custom OEM looking WiFi and Garage opener buttons - Page 2 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Is the part 5GG927238E that you used a black\satin finish?

Thanks

Steve

Just a quick side note, and I hope I'm stating the obvious, but I hope no one here has a 'home' destination saved in their sat nav or in their frequent destinations.
    There was a huge spate of car thefts a few years back in Sydney where they'd take the car, follow the sat nav to home, use the garage remote (usually left in the car) to get access to the house (apparently a lot of people also don't lock their door between the garage and the house) with a car to take it all away in.
    I came across one where the thieves had a truck follow them, and even told the neighbours the people were moving out. Cleared the house of anything remotely valuable.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, this is a bonus of CarPlay - all your destinations are in your phone and leave the car with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK7Golfer View Post
    Thanks DV52 for the detailed instructions.

I'm interested in seeing if I can replicate your good work. A few questions if I may.

Why do you need to purchase a second set of switches? Couldn't the blanks be used on the original or are they missing the switch component?

From the following thread I thought different part numbers were required for the switch modules?

Custom OEM looking WiFi and Garage opener buttons - Page 2 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Is the part 5GG927238E that you used a black\satin finish?

Thanks

Steve
    Steve: What an excellent question! Here's some pictures of the pertinent parts of the switch module that are critical in me answering your question (refer to the 3rd picture in my first post to see how the bits fit together):

First a picture of the switch base which contains the LEDs and the driving electronics (I've shown the "switch pads" for the Park Assist and Garage opener switches for later reference.

Notice that only one LED-set is populated (for the existing Park Assist switch). I guess that it really doesn't matter if the LED for the Garage Remote isn't on the PCB since the general illumination LED that's missing from between the 2 switch-pads at the end of the PCB isn't needed

2nd picture shows the part that I have called the "White insert" in my first post:

The white insert connects to the switch cap. The way that the two pieces connect is via the locating lugs shown in the picture above - there is a matching set of mating tags on the underside of the switch cap which holds the cap to the insert (see picture below). The bottom of the white insert pushes onto the "graphite pad" that sits on the switch-pads in the picture above. There is only one "white insert" on the existing switch (which lines-up with the Park Assist position)

3rd picture shows the underside of a switch cap compared to the underside of a blank cap (sorry that the pic isn't crisp!):

As you can see, the important part of the switch cap is the mating tags (for the lugs on the "white insert") - the blank cap doesn't have these tags. When I first started this project, I tried grinding back the insides of a blank cap, but the process was too fiddly to work!

I'm also not sure if marking the function of the switch cap for the garage opener is such a good idea (as per your link). My preference is NOT to advertise where the garage opener is in the car - you will know where the switch is and that's all that's needed. But if you want to spend the money getting a fancy switch cap symbol (something cryptic), then that's OK too.
    Cheers
    Don

PS: Yes, the unit that I show in my first post is a black satin switch module
    Last edited by DV52; 31-01-2016 at 01:03 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    There is an OEM option for garage door controller in sunvisor.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    JustCruisn: Thanks for the response. Yes, the sun-visor option was the method that I was using before I implemented the change described in the 1st post. Ain't noting wrong with the sunvisor option, it just isn't hidden (integrated) into the car!
    Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Don, just wanted to say kudos for another elegant installation! Your level of dedication to clean, OEM-style work is inspiring.

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but thought I'd add a point I thought relevant.

Picked up a new Golf 7.5 a few weeks back and during change-over the salesman explained that the storage compartment in front of the gearstick is amplified (I assume for phone signal). As I discovered, this also works a treat for my garage door opener - the range has increased enormously! I previously had to be within a meter or so of my garage door before the remote would work, whereas now I can open the door from long range.
    2018 Golf GTI, Manual - gone.
    2017 Golf 110tsi Trendline, manual (gone - gladly)
    2007 Golf GTI, Manual, (gone - sadly)
    1978 Golf GLS; 1972 Superbug, (memories)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast