Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?

Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?

Thanks dv52 for that description. You're right that someone needs to measure (or find from a schematic) the value of that pull up resistance to determine if it's of low enough value to be useful.

Also, it may be useful to 'steal' power from multiple buttons at the same time. This would both add more compliance at startup, and allow a smaller cap to be used as it's unlikely anyone will press more than one button at a time.

This is one or more extra wires, but they are all coming from approximately the same area making it easier to install without pulling the whole dash apart.

(Just putting this out there as once someone has done this the ease of installation will determine how many people will consider using it.)

Mattaus how hard was it to pull the centre console apart - tried to find a Video but haven't had much luck.
    How much room is under the switch assembly?

Also good to know that there might be 12V in the loom close to the switch.
    Looks like we should be able to fit it all under the switch.

I know my circuit is pretty conservative but it was designed without knowing exactly what the rest of the electronics is doing in the car.
    I also feel better knowing that it has some isolation from the car using a relay in case something goes wrong - my PCB has about $15 in parts, I'm sure the module that it connects to costs more than that.
    I even added a SMD fuse to the PCB just to be super careful.

The thing with whatever design gets used is it needs to work 100% of the time.
    If under some combination of circumstances, like turning the car off and on quickly, it doesn't work it will be as bad as having to turn it off every time the car is started because you wont be able to trust it's behavior.

Looks like we've got a bit of a team going here so that should help sort it out.
    MY21 Golf MK8 GTI | Kings Red Metallic | all options |
    MY16 Golf MK7 GTI PP | White | With Leather |
    MY11 Golf MK6 GTI DSG | CW | 5dr | Bi-Xenons | ACC | 18" Detroits | RNS510 with Dynaudio| RVC | MDI |

Users Country Flag
    Any solution that does not rely on a uC is a better solution in my opinion. Code = bugs, although this would be so simple it'd be a challenge to leave any game breakers in the lines. I know I suggested it but my mouth (or fingers in this case) often works faster than my brain...

Regardless, I'm happy to go with the most robust solution and the one that is the easiest to install. As I mentioned earlier the wiring loom does not have a lot of slack on it. 3 wires should be easy to tap into, any more and you're asking for trouble. I really think you can forget about nicking power from more than one switch because this would require disassembly of the switch cluster. The problem with that is it looks to be very difficult, and even if you get it apart it seems like quite a dense object so my assumption is that there won't be a lot of space inside. I can't even see where said wires would exit.

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    Mattaus how hard was it to pull the centre console apart - tried to find a Video but haven't had much luck.
    How much room is under the switch assembly?
    Like any new car it was hard but only because I was super nervous of breaking anything. I did take other photos that were intended for a "How To" but they need to be better. Regardless, later today I'll post a guide on how to get everything apart and just replace the pics with better ones later on.

There is a fair amount of room under the switch but it's a cavity that is not finger friendly. You could easily 'dangle' a module in there but if you drop it I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the module back out...

I know my circuit is pretty conservative but it was designed without knowing exactly what the rest of the electronics is doing in the car. I also feel better knowing that it has some isolation from the car using a relay in case something goes wrong - my PCB has about $15 in parts, I'm sure the module that it connects to costs more than that. I even added a SMD fuse to the PCB just to be super careful.

The thing with whatever design gets used is it needs to work 100% of the time. If under some combination of circumstances, like turning the car off and on quickly, it doesn't work it will be as bad as having to turn it off every time the car is started because you wont be able to trust it's behavior.
    I like this mentality a lot.

Users Country Flag
    This will do for now. I'll do neater instructions up when I have the test device along with a video instruction if it looks any good.

What you start with and where the clips are all located:
    Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-step-1-jpg

Pulling the gear selector trim. Note you need to pull towards the dash and up as there are tabs on the bottom. Do not pull up and towards the boot.
    Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-step-2-jpg

Just showing you the clips that are holding the trim in pace:
    Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-step-2b-jpg

How to remove the bottom trim which must be taken out to get to the tab holding the switch cluster in place. The tabs to the extreme left and right are easy to get out as there is a gap underneath you can easily slip a thing tool under to push the tabs to the doors of the car, and then pull the trim up. The two more central tabs at the bottom are much trickier because the only way you can get to them also tightens them up! I got them out by using the same tool I used on the outer tabs, and 'working' my way towards the tabs, twisty the tool to gently pull the trim upwards. Whatever it does, it works:
    Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-step-3-jpg

This just shows you where the wiring loom attaches and the tab that holds the switch cluster in place from a different angle:
    Golf mk7: Auto Start/Stop disable switch - who wants to help?-step-4-jpg

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post

Matt: Looking at this nice picture I notice that you don't have an TCS/ESP switch on your car. Just a suggestion, but instead of splicing the Terminal 15 wire to the Black/Yellow wire, can you insert a mating pin connector into the front of the switch where the TCS/ESP switch would have been?
    Don
    Last edited by DV52; 09-10-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Forgive my stupidity, but isn't the very bottom button on the left hand switch cluster the traction control switch? The one with the car and squiggly lines. Or is TCS/ESP different?
    Last edited by mattaus; 09-10-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mattaus View Post
    Forgive my stupidity, but isn't the very bottom button on the left hand switch cluster the traction control switch? The one with the car and a squiggly lines. Or is TCS/ESP different?
    Matt: Of course that's the correct switch - I must be loosing-it (sorry). The first place that I go blind is in my eyes!!
    Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    lol, all good! I'm discovering new things on my car every day so I had no idea if you were right or not. At least what I thought was traction control is in fact exactly that

Interesting Timing , pardon the pun.
    I've been working on this also while I've been waiting for my car to arrive - hopefully should have the car next week.
    I have a prototype built using a NE556 and a PhotoMos relay (G3VM-61G1) + external timing bits.
    Also similar timing, I think mine is delayed for about 10secs + 1sec relay on pulse.

Here's my current circuit:-

I'm planning to do it all with SMD components and this is the PCB layout - single sided.
    It has the NE556, G3VM-61G1 solid state relay for isolation + smd fuse just in case.

This is a picture of how big the PCB will be when I get around to making it, it's about 45mm x 24mm x ~8mm
    AJW: just had another look at your (excellent) design. It looks like a dual mono-shot configuration with the first timer output being capacitor coupled to trigger the second mono (albeit I'm a bit confused about the need for the 10k pull-up resistor from pin 5).

I am impressed at the extent to which you have conditioned the trigger signal to ensure reliable start-up (both for pin 6 and for the reset pin 10) - and I thought that I was being ultra-conservative LOL! You have adopted a wise approach given the lack of information and the early days in our understanding of the car's electrical environment for the S/S kill switch. It might be possible to refine both our designs in subsequent versions.

The PCB screen and track layout clearly contemplate the solid state FET relay and the current limiting resistor, where as your wiring diagram suggests an electromechanical device. Will you be able to overlay the coil-relay over the PCB tracks on your PCB design, or will you put-in a second set of pads?

Mattaus has promised to provide feedback on my device, but I'm very interested in hearing about your observations (as indeed will be others reading your posts). Please keep us informed
    Last edited by DV52; 10-10-2015 at 03:32 PM.

Users Country Flag

I'll test whatever you guys dream up, and gladly pay for and permanently install whatever is deemed the best solution

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast