Thread: Golf MK7 2013 Airbag Module Replacement Dramas

Users Country Flag

Unhappy Golf MK7 2013 Airbag Module Replacement Dramas

Hey guys,

TL;DR at the bottom.

I've had my Golf for 4 years and it's been smooth sailing, about 2 months ago I noticed my passenger side floor was very wet when I went to pick something I threw on the floor, I thought it must have been a leak from forgetting a Window open so I thought nothing of it, then a week went pass, and I noticed it was soaking wet again, and also I had an airbag light, then the driver side also started leaking.

I took it to an auto electrician, and the Airbag module - 5Q0959655AA - was completely fried, I saw it myself, the circuit board had multiple burned components from water damage.

I went and grabbed a part from another wreckers, 5Q0959655QX or something, identical except for the last two letters, he said he tried but it needs to be exact model number. So after much searching, I found an exact part from eBay UK seller, it arrived, model number matched exactly and it was functional, but he couldn't code it to my car. He said it was looking for left hand side child lock and things specific to European cars and he couldn't work around it so he needs an Australian model of that exact part number.

I've called like 30 wreckers, Google every corner of the Internet, and I can't find anyone in Australia who has that part, and neither can he.

What options do I have here? Is it possible to buy from VW directly? Would that require me to take it to a VW centre and have them quote me an insanely expensive repair?

Would greatly appreciate if anyone has been in a similar situation or can give me some advice, I really want my car back. It's been at the auto electrician for almost a month now with no sign of a solution. I found a wrecker in NZ who may have the part, does anyone know if AU/NZ have the same airbag module?

TL;DR

Airbag module 5Q0959655AA was fried from water leak by aircon, I found an exact part model but it was a European variant which can't be coded for an Australian car, so I just don't know what to do as I can't find that part anywhere in Aus.

Users Country Flag
    Airbag control module has Component Protection.
    It needs to be handled by the dealer tool ODIS.
    You can't just replace the module with another one.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Airbag control module has Component Protection.
    It needs to be handled by the dealer tool ODIS.
    You can't just replace the module with another one.
    It's all good, I gave up and called a local VW centre who confirmed they had the part and sell it for $1332 and about $300 labour fitted/coded so I've just went that route.

I just hope the A/C doesn't leak into the Airbag module again causing it to re-burn, but they've assured me they'll look at the AC to make sure that doesn't happen.