Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Golf DSG chrome surround

Users Country Flag

Golf DSG chrome surround

So I’ve had the dreaded razor sharp chrome lifting off from the DSG shifter surround.

Has anyone had any success finding one online?

There are heaps available on AliExpress but they are all for left hand drive! I worked this out after ordering which is a shame because they are great quality.
    DSG gear frame bracket Circle Gear Shift Knob Base Trim Circle automatic gear shift knob For VW Golf 7|Gear Shift Knob| - AliExpress

It’s not an official VW part- you have to replace the whole gaiter assembly if you get it from VW.

Mk 7 R Wagon Wolfsburg. APR Stage 1. Removable towbar.

Users Country Flag
    Following as i have the same issue on my Mk7 GTI. Must admit im struggling to understand why VW would make a RHD and LHD version of this tiny part.....are you sure the one you bought does not fit? What is different about it?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Following as i have the same issue on my Mk7 GTI. Must admit im struggling to understand why VW would make a RHD and LHD version of this tiny part.....are you sure the one you bought does not fit? What is different about it?
    It’s a mirror image. The nook at the base of the centre console is clocked towards the driver. As such, the surround isn’t rectangular.

I’ll show a photo tonight.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by hardy_bm View Post
    It’s a mirror image. The nook at the base of the centre console is clocked towards the driver. As such, the surround isn’t rectangular.

I’ll show a photo tonight.
    Ahh ok. I got you now. If I find a RHD one I will let you know, as I have scratched myself on the lifting chrome a few times now and its starting to annoy me.

I wonder how easy the part is to remove to look at the part # embossed on the underside.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I’ve taken it out. It’s easy. Just open the nook, pull up on the front edge and the whole gaiter assembly unclips. You then have access to the retaining clips of the silver surround.

There isn’t a part number for the silver surround, just the larger gaiter and PRNDL assembly so I assume it all comes as one.

Users Country Flag
    I’ve got exactly the same issue! Getting tired of cutting myself on the wrist when I reach in to grab phone for the storage compartment ahead of the shifter.

If you find suitable RHD part somewhere, can you post a link, please?

Cheers...
    MY14 M-B A200CDI

Golf DSG chrome surround

Quote Originally Posted by X-Rated View Post
    I’ve got exactly the same issue! Getting tired of cutting myself on the wrist when I reach in to grab phone for the storage compartment ahead of the shifter.
    Some people have been wrapping the offending item with vinyl so it no longer cuts them, plus you can change to whatever finish you like (eg carbonfibre look)
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Just updating this thread with new info as this peeling shifter trim is an ongoing issue on the MK7's. You can now buy just the trim piece for RHD cars. Refer pics below for part number etc.

MK7/7.5 DSG Chrome shifter surround - RHD
    – Track Hack Parts

2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Does this affect 7.5s as well? It looks the same so I'm guessing so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast