Thread: Golf 7 R 2015 with 15k

Golf 7 R 2015 with 15k

Hi all,

I am looking at a 2015 Golf R manual with about 15k done. Is there anything in particular to look out for. I have read that the 2014 had turbo problems but I am guessing this would have been fixed by the 2015 models.

thanks.

With such low mileage on a car that is usually bought to be driven and enjoyed I would be looking hard at the service history and quizzing the seller - has it been off the road for a while and if so why?

As well as all the usual things (check everything electrical works, no signs of water leaks or crash damage, check that the Haldex AWD works (take off hard on dry bitumen, shouldn't be any wheel spin), look for signs of coolant leak around thermostat/water pump, check the grommet for the drain tube for the reversing camera is still there.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Turbo should be ok being a 2015 model but if you are keen to check you could take a photo of the turbo part number to check. The part numbers than end in 702x and 722x seem the be the problematic ones. The issue is that there is very little clearance between the compressor blades and the compressor housing, and in the failure prone ones, the two parts make contact and internally destroys the turbo. A turbo servicing place (somewhere like GCG Turbo's in Sydney) would be able to balance the turbo and modify it to provide necessary clearance.

Very low km's for a 5 year old car. Assume it was a weekend car, and not driven every weekend with such low km's? Unless the owner used a battery tender on it, the battery will likely be near the end of its life (if not already replaced). Batteries are not cheap in these start/stop engines, so factor in a good $400-500 for a battery.

Apart from this, just as the others have mentioned - check the haldex engages (there should be zero wheelspin) correctly during a fast takeoff from standstill. Make sure the clutch doesnt slip (go in 4th or 5th gear at a low speed (say 50-60kph) and floor it) under load, make sure there is no evidence or a coolant leak or any oil leaks. If it all checks out then enjoy your new car.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thank you all for the feed back. It was to good to be true. Car was a repairable write off so will be staying away from that. The hunt continues.