Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf 40th vs Golf R

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJames View Post
    Attachment 24673

My understanding is that the GTI ED40 Clubsport has softer front springs, larger rear sway bar, and more aero to keep it stable at higher speeds. Fair enough.

Why not purchase the GTI PP for 10K cheaper and add a set of VW Driver Gear Springs (genuine VW accessory in USA/ Euro/Japan) for no more than 1K supplied and fitted. The VW Driver Gear genuine springs will add stability at higher speeds on the GTI PP, perhaps more so than the standard springs on the ED40 Clubsport (I had the VW DG springs on my MK6 with DCC, they're great at 80kph + cornering):

Post your VWR springs in setups in here - Page 6 - GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

Not a fan of chipping up a FWD ... only burn up the front tyres.

Fast forward 3 years and WJ's oracle is stating that prospective purchasers of ED40 Clubsport GTI's will want them for about 1.5K more than the standard GTI PP.

On another note, I think the DSG will well suited to the Golf R motor. Like they are made for each other. I drive a Manual Trans Golf 7 GTI atm.

The Passat R-Line in Silver looks hot too. Much better in real life than in pics. Makes the Golf look tiny.

WJ
    Funny you say that coz I was actually thinking of just getting a sway bar for my current GTi. I had it on my Polo Gti and it did wonders, transformed the car. Not a real fan of the front of the MK7 GTi so I don't think I'd go for a PP but the 10k price diff does seem appealing, fully optioned thought then your in the CS bracket.

Passat for me is to BIG of a car. I'm a pocket rocket/hot hatch kinda guy
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Why not purchase the GTI PP for 10K cheaper and add a set of VW Driver Gear Springs (genuine VW accessory in USA/ Euro/Japan) for no more than 1K supplied and fitted. The VW Driver Gear genuine springs will add stability at higher speeds on the GTI PP, perhaps more so than the standard springs on the ED40 Clubsport (I had the VW DG springs on my MK6 with DCC, they're great at 80kph + cornering):

WJ
    Because it still won't be or look like a Clubsport? Just saying... For GTI PP owners yes it'd make sense but if buying now with the plan of directly modifying it to get to higher level (that's already available in stock form) i don't think there will a lot between them cost-wise after all mods + work are taken into account. Not to mention a modded car is not ever valued as the sum of its (upgraded) parts but a lot less of what you've actually spent on it...

Not a fan of chipping up a FWD ... only burn up the front tyres.
    Oh, it's really good fun when you leave EVO's or S3's behind on rolling acceleration drag races, I've had/driven a couple of 350+ bhp FWD (and 100kg+ lighter than that Clubsport) without issues.

And enough with this burning tyre/ no traction. Only a monkey just mindlessly floors the pedal on a powerful/tuned FWD and expects to go. Since when did everybody forget about throttle modulation at very low speeds? Above 50km/h (which is a speed you are anyway only doing around town) the car just catapults forward. Good upgraded tyres help a lot also. Don't expect to make the best out of the car on nearly any stock tyre.

The Passat R-Line in Silver looks hot too. Much better in real life than in pics. Makes the Golf look tiny.

WJ
    Did you say Passat and hot?

Users Country Flag
    Am I the only one who enjoys forward thrust from standstill that is fierce and doesn't involve massive wheelspin? Rolling acceleration races are fine but invariably risk your licence...

Sent from this tap keyboard thingy on this touch screen flat thingy.

I purchased a GTi PP 10 months ago, happy with everything but felt slightly underpowered. Did my research and decided on plug and play RaceChip Ultimate after 15K service. Blown away by extra power and torque, no dyno yet but reckon it's given it an extra 40+ kW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reviews are starting to flood in. Looks like they are restricted primarily to the local racetrack with just a bit of public roadway driving:

Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years 2016 Review – Car Reviews, News & Advice - carsales.com.au

2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years Review | CarAdvice

Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years 2016 review | first drive | CarsGuide

2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years | GoAuto - Overview

But the Golf 7.5 seems just around the corner where it may be prudent to wait until September 2016?

Volkswagen 2017 Golf GTI - More VW Golf GTI, R variants coming | GoAuto

Sometime Volkswagen Australia gets it right in terms of marketing, sometimes they get it very wrong (e.g. MKIV Golf R32 for 75K new). It was always a big mistake not to bring the VW Golf 7 GTI with LSD in Manual Trans form. Apparently all the Manual Trans ED40 Clubsports are sold out ... All 100 of them!

WJ
    Last edited by WhiteJames; 27-07-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Well one would expect a golf update with the A3 and S3 facelift to be released in the final quarter of this year. Significantly for the S3 (R's posh big brother), it now gets an all new 7 speed wet DSG (DQ500?) and various other tech and handling upgrades. So the facelift R (and GTI) could well be worth the wait...
    Last edited by andrew7; 27-07-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    God if this is the new Golf GTi, then they ripped off a lot from the CS. I'd wait on this for sure

Is this the facelifted Golf 7? - CARmag.co.za
    GOLF GTI MY11 ADIDAS Candy White, Sunroof
    GOLF GTI 40th ED, White with Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    It was always a big mistake not to bring the VW Golf 7 GTI with LSD in Manual Trans form. Apparently all the Manual Trans ED40 Clubsports are sold out ... All 100 of them!

WJ
    Yep. 100%. This is the sole reason I bought a manual R. Stock GTI Manual wasn't punchy enough and the only other manual option was the R.

As I've said before, in Europe the PP equipment is an option tick on the GTI rather than a discrete model. If that was the same here then a manual PP would have been the car I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Reviews are starting to flood in. Looks like they are restricted primarily to the local racetrack with just a bit of public roadway driving:

Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years 2016 Review – Car Reviews, News & Advice - carsales.com.au

2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years Review | CarAdvice

Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years 2016 review | first drive | CarsGuide

2016 Volkswagen Golf GTI 40 Years | GoAuto - Overview

But the Golf 7.5 seems just around the corner where it may be prudent to wait until September 2016?

Volkswagen 2017 Golf GTI - More VW Golf GTI, R variants coming | GoAuto

Sometime Volkswagen Australia gets it right in terms of marketing, sometimes they get it very wrong (e.g. MKIV Golf R32 for 75K new). It was always a big mistake not to bring the VW Golf 7 GTI with LSD in Manual Trans form. Apparently all the Manual Trans ED40 Clubsports are sold out ... All 100 of them!

WJ
    Not sure where you got your information from on the price of the MKIV R32, but I paid $64,500 on the road in February 2004.

I think its BS that the manuals are sold out, my dealer in Perth still has 2 arriving that are not allocated/sold.
    [/COLOR] 2016 VW Golf GTI MK7 40 Years, DSG, Tornado Red, Tinted Windows,
    2016 VW T6 Multivan Generation Six, Cherry Red with Candy White, VanEssa System with Kitchen, Mattress, Storage Bags, Swivel Seat, Roof Racks with Thule Pod, Dometic Anthracite Awning, Blackout Curtains, Bonnet Bra plus more ..

Interesting Points:

Forums indicate that fully loaded DSG Golf GTI ED40 Clubsport are selling for 55K drive away. Friends of mine paid 58K for fully loaded Golf 7 R drive away about 12 months after initial release date. That's 3K difference + free leather on the Golf R, which makes them basically the same price as ED40 has no fancy seats (worth about 3K as an option if available).

Ironically ... fast forward 3 years and the Golf R may fetch 35K private sale, the ED40 GTI no more than 30K private sale. Golf R wins.

Additionally ... There are heaps of Golf R's in dealerships. Start offering stupid money (less than 58K) for R with a plain colour (I.e. White ... my fav colour), and the Golf R is looking like better value imo.

WJ
    Yep, I got my Wolfsburg Ed Golf R with Sunroof (ie. fully loaded) for $58K.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslm View Post
    Brian you should've tried an R with a Burger JB1 turns the R an absolute cracker of a drive, I've had it on my R for four months still get goose bumps and look for chewing gum everytime I go for the keys. Enjoy your drive sure it's good.
    +1 I've got one too, and the difference is simply awesome - it transforms the car! Best $500 I've ever spent

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast