Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Golf 2.0TDI total oil loss

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Since the belt doesn't run in oil I don't see how replacing it would affect the lower crank seal. The seal "lost tension" and apparently you have to buy the seal and housing together. We also have to replace the timing belt and idler arms and bearings (since the oil would've gotten into the grease). Still waiting to hear if VWA will cover any of the costs.
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    Since the belt doesn't run in oil I don't see how replacing it would affect the lower crank seal. The seal "lost tension" and apparently you have to buy the seal and housing together. We also have to replace the timing belt and idler arms and bearings (since the oil would've gotten into the grease). Still waiting to hear if VWA will cover any of the costs.
    the seal is usually replaced when the belt is done as a precaution in case it leaked

The seal wasn't on the service report for the 105K service or on the VW service sheet that showed what should be carried out. We have the car back and are waiting to see how much if any VWA are willing to pay of the $2300 cost
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    The seals aren’t routinely replaced as preventative measure when they don’t leak.
    There’s no way that the mechanic could damage the seal during the timing belt replacement.

However, if there were signs of the oil leak in the area, it should be reported/replaced with the timing belt.

The $2300 seems a bit high.

Interesting Transporter. the dealer warned us before the timing belt replacement that the water pump may need to be replaced when they were doing that if there were any signs of a leak ($400) but they never mentioned the crank seal. Wife just heard from the dealer, VWA are paying roughly half, haven't got the full details yet.

So we ended up having to pay $1160. Still waiting for the under tray replacement to arrive, they said it was too far gone to be cleaned, which TBH sounds dodgy, it was only oil.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    So we ended up having to pay $1160. Still waiting for the under tray replacement to arrive, they said it was too far gone to be cleaned, which TBH sounds dodgy, it was only oil.
    There’s felt like padding in the tray, so not that dodgy to me. It could be quite messy job to clean it.
    Last edited by Transporter; 17-12-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Ah OK, didn't know that. Got the invoice today, all we paid is labour, VWA covered all parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12