Support VWWC

Thread: Fuel Gauge Issue on 2019 Trendline?

Users Country Flag

Fuel Gauge Issue on 2019 Trendline?

Hi all,

I own a 2019 Volkswagen Golf 110 Tsi Trendline Hatchback bought new a couple years ago.

Over the past few months, I've noticed that it takes a long time for my fuel gauge to start ticking down from full. Typically I have to drive around 120km on a full tank before the gauge registers and starts moving. For reference, a full tank gets me about ~750KM, so 120km i

It usually catches up by about halfway and is accurate for the last half of the tank.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I took it to VW Service Centre as they conducted my last service and it's still under the 5 Year Manufacturer's Warranty. In response, they drove another car (same make and model) and concluded that it exhibited similar behaviour, and so there is no problem with my car.

They even showed me pictures of the trip meter on their test car showing 100km and the gauge showing full. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing how much fuel was actually in the car (they easily could have just fuelled up for the picture but not reset the trip meter).

In any case, 2 cars of the same make and model showing signs of the same issue just means the problem could be more widespread across the production run of a specific part.

It's a minor issue now but my concern is it could be a degenerative calibration issue which gets progressively worse.

Any advice on how I could check what's going on?

You could check the actual fuel levels (both in litres and percentage of volume) with OBDEleven. Taking periodic readings based on kms driven would show a pattern on what is happening.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc R, Audi Q5
    Past VWs- T-Roc R-Line, Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Users Country Flag
    Well my Mk7 GTI stays on full for about 90-100km before it moves slowly off the full mark. After that it comes down steadily as expected. Id say its pretty normal.

My wifes SQ5 stays on full for about 80km and then moves slowly off the full mark.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Are you continuing to fill after the first click. If so you are putting fuel into the venting system and that won't be registered by the fuel sender (and you might be fouling the charcoal filter that is supposed to remove fumes).

All 3 of my VAG vehicles were slow for the fuel gauge to show movement from full, and much quicker movement when getting down near empty. I have no idea why VW (and Skoda) designed them that way, but they obviously did so for a reason.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by gregozedobe View Post
    Are you continuing to fill after the first click. If so you are putting fuel into the venting system and that won't be registered by the fuel sender (and you might be fouling the charcoal filter that is supposed to remove fumes).
    ^ good point. Once it clicks - stop. Dont keep trying to get another litre or two in there (even though you may physically be able to) as you will run the risk of damaging your charcoal canister and venting system and those are not cheap parts to replace. Doing this means that you force fuel into the fuel tank vent tube when there should only be air in there and then that fuel gets sucked through into the charcoal canister and then into the engine.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Pretty standard for a MK7/7.5 Golf. Both of mine does the same. Don't worry about it.

You learn to live with it and with its many warnings when getting low, you won't accidentally run out of fuel.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...