Thread: Forward camera and autopilot

Forward camera and openpilot

Im soon to buy a mk7 golf r

So it seems that if a golf r has lane assist and adaptive Cruise with the driver assist pack, that openpilot should work for autonomous driving.

I'm looking at a golf r but was looking a mk7 which I believe doesn't offer lane assistant in the driver assistant pack but would the camera be there still if it has emergency breaking... Although I believe that's Radar.

Anyone know about this... I wouldn't buy a mk7.5 with driver assist to just have this option of autonomous because im not sure I'd use openpilot...but if a mk7 had the camera and capabilities with openpilot then I'd give it a go
    Last edited by PeteRepeat; 19-02-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Corrected to openpilot

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteRepeat View Post
    Im soon to buy a mk7 golf r

So it seems that if a golf r has lane assist and adaptive Cruise with the driver assist pack, that openpilot should work for autonomous driving.

I'm looking at a golf r but was looking a mk7 which I believe doesn't offer lane assistant in the driver assistant pack but would the camera be there still if it has emergency breaking... Although I believe that's Radar.

Anyone know about this... I wouldn't buy a mk7.5 with driver assist to just have this option of autonomous because im not sure I'd use openpilot...but if a mk7 had the camera and capabilities with openpilot then I'd give it a go
    Only the Older Golfs had breaking problems New ones only brake LOL

Nothing is fully autonomous You still have to steer it and ACC is the nearest that you will get What does it say in the brochure that it has
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I'm refering to am aftermarket system called openpilot. Have a look. It works on golf mk7 with lane keep assist and adaptive cruise. It's an open source project that is mostly used on corollas but the Golf mk 7 is also being added. However it needs the camera and steering control components... I've read somewhere that sometimes the camera is in the rear view mirror mount on some cars without lane assist. Which is my hope to find out what years may have it.

Users Country Flag
    Yes you can use a Mk7 or 7.5
    Front camera is not required for either, but ACC radar is.
    You need to jump onto the Discord channel and read up on the stickied posts. You'll need a custom made (or make your own) gateway Y harness to install (different depending on if you are using original Comma or new Comma2).
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Yes you can use a Mk7 or 7.5
    Front camera is not required for either, but ACC radar is.
    You need to jump onto the Discord channel and read up on the stickied posts. You'll need a custom made (or make your own) gateway Y harness to install (different depending on if you are using original Comma or new Comma2).
    Interesting. Great to hear as I hadnt realised that... Makes buying a golf r mk7 or 7.5 much more flexible now. Lots more reading to do

Users Country Flag

Just make sure it has ACC, and not just front assist (it still has a radar, but it's software locked just for emergency braking, no adaptive cruise)
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500