Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting Folding Mirrors to the Mk7 Golf

Users Country Flag

Overall, VW's attitude towards a one-size-fits-all manual is poor at best. In this day and age, generating a manual in PDF format and only having the parts that apply to YOUR vehicle isn't that hard to do. But since they can't even get their brochures correct, you'd probably get a worse result than our expectations.

Users Country Flag
    It seems most people never know what there buying and what features their new vehicle have. If you don't have that feature then it's bad luck. I think writing a manual for each customers order would be highly illogical. But one thing that's rubbish is that these items should be able to be retrofitted to any vehicle after sale with minimal fuss.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonee View Post
    I notice the manual (edition 05.2014) of our MY15 GTI on page 134 has a section titled "Folding in the exterior mirrors while parking" and in part says "If the vehicle is locked from the outside with the vehicle key or with Keyless Acccess, the exterior mirrors fold in automatically".

Since VW's own manual thinks our cars have this feature I wonder if the ACCC could help us get these fitted free of charge
    @Moonee, please do not get me started, well you may have.... All the promo material I looked at when purchasing my TDI R-Line showed "xenon" headlights with the single U DRL. So i ordered it as pictured without the B-Xenon lights thinking this was with two of these fancy globes, thinking I will be getting one with the DRL I was not fussed in paying extra for something I would already be getting one off. After doing a bit more research after placing my order I worked out that the "Xenon" headlights I though was coming on the car was in fact incorrect and I would be getting the standard halogen globes. If I wanted the U DRL I would have to order these extra so I contacted the dealer and they did not want to change the order and I even spoke to VWA who informed me if the dealer contacted them the week before I could have added these to my option but they did not even try to have these added the week earlier when asking them to. After speaking with VWA the dealer started the whole Bi-Xenons are not on the Highline range any more and blah blah blah spin extra. I was about to cancel my order and leave the dealer with the car I ordered and go the another VW dealer as I found out later my neighbours daughter in law worked at a VW dealer, but by this time I did not want to wait another 2-3 months for a car so I will just have to retro fit them later when genuine ones are priced better, more like the mk6 are now.

Folding Mirrors is another feature you would think would come on a "Highline" model as it sounds prestigious but hey this is another option to have retro fitted.

All these retro fitted parts will have to help with resale because there is a limited amount of cars with it... doubt it lol GolfVII spends $5k on retro fitted parts gets an extra $100 resale lol.

I do get annoyed when I read the MY15 broacher and see the "O" next to Bi-Xenon Lights and then have a dealer say, you can not get these on the models specified.... WTF! the material is misleading and no where do they have a sign up advising there was a printing error etc. like any good retailer needs to do when they advertise a product incorrectly. I say if you are willing to wait for a car and you want this option force the dealer to add it because its listed as a option. Until it is not listed in the promotional material or a disclaimer is advertised it is not optional any more then the product is available.

The only problem with going to the ACCC about VW and their misleading information is that they are only hurting themselves, its not like they are selling Heinz baked beans and saying they are on special for $1.00 only to come in and have them for $1.10 or advertising a 100g pack of weekbix and showing a 500g packet. The reason VWA can get away with this is because it of that statement tigger73 listed "not all features are available in every country/region."

Bring on the cheap genuine parts! I want to retro fit features VWA would not offer when I was willing to
    throw my money at them for it.....

Tuesday rant over hehe

In all seriousness if someone ends up doing a group buy for RHD folding mirrors I will be interested.

Users Country Flag
    Hi G7,
    You can retrofit Bi-Xenon U LED headlights after the purchase.
    Its a bit of an exercise as the coding is quite extensive through over 1020 adaptation channels but its more than possible.
    XENON Headlights are on promo at the moment and we can fit it for anyone in Maroochydore.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfVII View Post
    @Moonee, please do not get me started, well you may have.... All the promo material I looked at when purchasing my TDI R-Line showed "xenon" headlights with the single U DRL. So i ordered it as pictured without the B-Xenon lights thinking this was with two of these fancy globes, thinking I will be getting one with the DRL I was not fussed in paying extra for something I would already be getting one off. After doing a bit more research after placing my order I worked out that the "Xenon" headlights I though was coming on the car was in fact incorrect and I would be getting the standard halogen globes. If I wanted the U DRL I would have to order these extra so I contacted the dealer and they did not want to change the order and I even spoke to VWA who informed me if the dealer contacted them the week before I could have added these to my option but they did not even try to have these added the week earlier when asking them to. After speaking with VWA the dealer started the whole Bi-Xenons are not on the Highline range any more and blah blah blah spin extra. I was about to cancel my order and leave the dealer with the car I ordered and go the another VW dealer as I found out later my neighbours daughter in law worked at a VW dealer, but by this time I did not want to wait another 2-3 months for a car so I will just have to retro fit them later when genuine ones are priced better, more like the mk6 are now.

Folding Mirrors is another feature you would think would come on a "Highline" model as it sounds prestigious but hey this is another option to have retro fitted.

All these retro fitted parts will have to help with resale because there is a limited amount of cars with it... doubt it lol GolfVII spends $5k on retro fitted parts gets an extra $100 resale lol.

I do get annoyed when I read the MY15 broacher and see the "O" next to Bi-Xenon Lights and then have a dealer say, you can not get these on the models specified.... WTF! the material is misleading and no where do they have a sign up advising there was a printing error etc. like any good retailer needs to do when they advertise a product incorrectly. I say if you are willing to wait for a car and you want this option force the dealer to add it because its listed as a option. Until it is not listed in the promotional material or a disclaimer is advertised it is not optional any more then the product is available.

The only problem with going to the ACCC about VW and their misleading information is that they are only hurting themselves, its not like they are selling Heinz baked beans and saying they are on special for $1.00 only to come in and have them for $1.10 or advertising a 100g pack of weekbix and showing a 500g packet. The reason VWA can get away with this is because it of that statement tigger73 listed "not all features are available in every country/region."

Bring on the cheap genuine parts! I want to retro fit features VWA would not offer when I was willing to
    throw my money at them for it.....

Tuesday rant over hehe

In all seriousness if someone ends up doing a group buy for RHD folding mirrors I will be interested.

Mr JKU can you price a kit..... with door controllers for folding mirrors?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by peekay34 View Post
    Mr JKU can you price a kit..... with door controllers for folding mirrors?
    CAn be done if you send us an email with the request.
    We have done the mirrors on G6 like on this video:

Users Country Flag
    Yeah ,I bought a set from USP also right before I remembered coming across the LHD/RHD issue in an erlier life,I'll locate a lh mirror rom O/S and check the BCM to see if it can be activated ,if not (i'll be in too deep by then) I'll get BCM and see where we go from there, worse comes to worse I'll do a workaround using a seperate circuit to operate...no I won't be going anywhere near can-bus, too expensive !

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidforce View Post
    CAn be done if you send us an email with the request.
    We have done the mirrors on G6 like on this video:
    These look pretty cool, just sent an email about them.

Users Country Flag
    OK, I'm trying to understand why the task of fitting fold-in mirrors is so complex. Had a quick look at the wiring diagrams for fold-in mirrors and they look fairly straight forward (see below).

I've shown both the standard and fold-in mirror assemblies for the diver's side door for comparison. I assume that the wiring loom between the door controller and the new fold-in mirror assembly is already fitted to the car (if not, then there could be some work to do). So, what else am I missing?
    Last edited by DV52; 13-12-2014 at 05:22 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Bought the Door Controllers today based on what I believe that should be the pinouts are all there. I have the correct part numbers for the mirrors ...... Will order those after xmas.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast