Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro Number Plate Fixing Plates

Users Country Flag

Euro Number Plate Fixing Plates

Looking for recommendations for a good fixing bracket for euro plates, plate dimensions are 520 x 112.

I like the Lakin Plates, but I understand they are no longer available.

Looking to fix to a Golf, 7 Wagon.
    My16 Golf Alltrack, DAP
    MY18 Golf Comfortline

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteintas View Post
    Looking for recommendations for a good fixing bracket for euro plates, plate dimensions are 520 x 112.

I like the Lakin Plates, but I understand they are no longer available.

Looking to fix to a Golf, 7 Wagon.
    I got Kingpin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    I used the exterior self adhesive hook and loop from Bunnings. The one that each side looks the same (as opposed to the less-strong hook and loop where one side is very different to the other). This stuff sticks like the proverbial and provides the separation from the body so the plate doesn’t touch the paint. Same front and back looks meant to be I think. Has withstood some ... errrrr.... rapid drives on bumpy roads. Two years no issues. And cheap! A bit of isopropyl alcohol each surface and wipe thoroughly dry before applying. Sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by LibraR View Post
    I used the exterior self adhesive hook and loop from Bunnings. The one that each side looks the same (as opposed to the less-strong hook and loop where one side is very different to the other). This stuff sticks like the proverbial and provides the separation from the body so the plate doesn’t touch the paint. Same front and back looks meant to be I think. Has withstood some ... errrrr.... rapid drives on bumpy roads. Two years no issues. And cheap! A bit of isopropyl alcohol each surface and wipe thoroughly dry before applying. Sorted!
    So, Velcro patch with adhesive backing? Great idea.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinhillterror View Post
    So, Velcro patch with adhesive backing? Great idea.
    Yep, but the really solid all nylon version not the “fabric” style version. No screws, no holes in the car and doesn’t matter where the oem mount points are - no drilling holes in your plates either. Gives enough movement to absorb bumps and vibration and keeps it all off the car too. I do this on all my cars.

On the Golf it also means no need to take off the oem mount leaving holes in the bar. The euro plate fits perfectly on this mount as it is intended to do.

Users Country Flag
    This one...
    Euro Number Plate Fixing Plates-hook-loop-jpg

Users Country Flag
    I just bought these from ebay.

2 x Volkswagen Euro License Number Plate Frame Tag Holder Free Shipping | eBay

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Both my cars had screws in them from the dealer, however when I moved to Euro plates I didn't want to drill holes in the new plates so I switched to double sided tape. That was 2014 and I haven't had any issues.

My wifes Multivan has had double sided tape on the front plate from 2010 through 2015 before I moved states and had to change plates where it got more double sided tape. The tape was still very strong and mangled the old plate when I was tearing it off but all the residue came off the bumper easily enough with a little alcohol. Had I of been more careful and used more fishing line and a heat gun I could have gotten it off cleanly, but being a stock plate being handed in I wasn't particularly careful/concerned about keeping it tidy.

Long story short, double sided tape works very well. Velcro sounds like an interesting option which I suppose allows you to transfer plates easily should you be attending shows and wanting to put some other custom plate on or wanted to remove your plates for some other reason on a regular basis. Unless you have a reason to do this I'd probably stick with a more permanent solution to avoid potential plate loss.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Well, I’m gonna try this Velcro option.

I have some black padded adhesive sticker that sits under the number plate, should I attach it to that, or peel that off and attach to the bumper itself?

Users Country Flag

I’d attach it to clean bare metal on the plate underside. A bit of isopropyl alcohol helps here too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast