Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Euro Number Plate Fixing Plates

Sorry, should’ve been more clear.

The padded adhesive tape is attached to the vehicle bumper. It’s roughly the size and shape of what a euro plate would be.

It looks like it’s starting to comynof from the high pressure wash anyway.

Should I remove the plates, then padded stuff first. Clean both surfaces and then attach the plate directly to the bumper using only the Velcro thing.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinhillterror View Post
    Sorry, should’ve been more clear.

The padded adhesive tape is attached to the vehicle bumper. It’s roughly the size and shape of what a euro plate would be.

It looks like it’s starting to comynof from the high pressure wash anyway.

Should I remove the plates, then padded stuff first. Clean both surfaces and then attach the plate directly to the bumper using only the Velcro thing.
    That would be my suggestion. Both front and rear of my car were already clear of anything when it arrived at the dealer for delivery to me

Hi, first time poster.

I've just bought a white Golf GTI, delivery is on Friday. I have the standard size Euro plates (black on white), but I'm really having trouble deciding the best way to get the dealer to affix them!

I'm happy with the plastic holder on the front of the car, so I'll probably get them just to screw the front plate into that. For the back, I'm not sure. I prefer a bare look, so I don't really want a plastic covering, and I think the plate looks nice by itself. Any downside to getting them just to screw the plate into the back panel directly? Should I be using some kind of plastic backing mount?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinhillterror View Post
    Well, I’m gonna try this Velcro option.

I have some black padded adhesive sticker that sits under the number plate, should I attach it to that, or peel that off and attach to the bumper itself?
    ITS NOT VELCRO

It called DUAL LOCK TAPE I used to use it to hold dashcams on when I was using more than one car

Scotch Extreme Fasteners Black 2.5cm x 7.6cm Strips - 2 Pack

Or for longer lengths

3M DUAL LOCK TAPE 5 X STRONGER THAN HOOK And LOOP ADHESIVE 800mm x 25mm SJ3550 | eBay
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by heycam View Post
    Hi, first time poster.

I've just bought a white Golf GTI, delivery is on Friday. I have the standard size Euro plates (black on white), but I'm really having trouble deciding the best way to get the dealer to affix them!

I'm happy with the plastic holder on the front of the car, so I'll probably get them just to screw the front plate into that. For the back, I'm not sure. I prefer a bare look, so I don't really want a plastic covering, and I think the plate looks nice by itself. Any downside to getting them just to screw the plate into the back panel directly? Should I be using some kind of plastic backing mount?

I took my own tools to the dealer and fixed it myself. Euro plates were already drill for the rear. The front I just drilled the bumper.bracket.

Sorry if this has been answered here already - looking at mounting large euro plates on a new Tiggy (prefer the cleaner look of not drilling into the plates). The front plate bracket is tailor made for the large euros, so looks like straight forward onto the plastic bracket.

The back-plate, however, looks like it will have to go straight onto metal. So, I'm slightly concerned about stripping the paint once it comes time to remove. Has anyone used 3M VHB (4229) previously? Link below.

Any issues with stability / security?

And, more importantly, removal?

3M Double Sided VHB Tape 18mm x 3mtrs – Paintgard Protection Film

What did you go with in the end? Looking into that now and am looking at 3M heavy duty double sided tape.

Quote Originally Posted by heycam View Post
    Hi, first time poster.

@heycam - what did you decide? Pics? Am looking at a similar problem at the moment and have been looking at heavy duty double sided tape (for the back).

Users Country Flag
    The locking "velcro" tape sounds like an interesting option. The VW salesperson I spoke to recommended Gorilla tape, but I'm wondering if the locking tape may be a better option?

I was wondering how I'd go about driving the car down to Qld transport, surrender the standard plates with the form and then attach the new plates in the parking lot using double sided tape (and still get everything lined up nicely). Was also worried about eventually taking them off. Locking tape would sure make that process easier.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LibraR View Post
    This one...
    Attachment 33941

I ended up going with the locking tape. It's a very strong hold, and you can still remove/reposition the plates with some gentle force.

Certainly made transferring the plates at Qld Transport easy. I'm not that concerned with someone stealing them either, wouldn't take much less time than a screwdriver and they are registered under my name anyway.
    2018 Arteon R-Line - Black, Sunroof, Dynaudio, 20" Wheels, RacingLine: Stage 2 ECU+DSG|380mm BBK|Intercooler+Hoses|Oil Cooler|R600 Intake|Adjustable Front Droplinks|Dogbone Insert|Subframe Brace+Alignment Kit|Propshaft Alignment Kit, Milltek: Zirotec Downpipe, Harding: Front+Rear Sway Bars|Rear Droplinks, Other: OSRAM Dynamic Indicators, EvcX Throttle Controller, 034 (RED) Coil Packs, Various Carbon Bits
    2022 Tiguan Allspace R-Line, Grey - Sunroof, Harmon Kardon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast