Thread: Engine Swap

Engine Swap

The engine in my son's Golf is consuming ridiculous quantities of motor oil and blowing black soot from the exhaust. It has been to the mechanic and we have been told he needs to either replace the engine or have it rebuilt.

We have been told by some people that we must install a CMBA engine as that is the engine type currently installed. Others have told us that we also have the option of installing a CXSA engine. Does anyone have knowledge around this?

If we were to replace the CMBA engine with a CXSA engine would we need to replace the ECU as well?

Any advice is appreciated.

Users Country Flag
    This is a helpful article.
    1.4 tsi 150 hp engine problems Are TSI engines reliable? Major problems and weaknesses. Engine troit and vibrates cold

At work buy/sell "salvage" vehicles. Over the years we have purchased numerous MK7 Golf's (mainly the twin charger 1.4 and 1.6) which have either suffered a cracked head or are using excessive oil due to skinny / weak piston rings. Some Audi's (A3 I think) have the same issue. It's just poor design.

You could source a used engine, the CSXA has a revised head which would be a better option. But still suffers from the thin piston rings anyways so even a used engine could have similar problems. Stretched timing chains is another problem.

You could go for a rebuild assuming the head isn't cracked.

As for the ECU, that's a tough one. It may be possible for the current ECU to be remapped to the CSXA. Or it may not even be necessary, really depends on what intricate changes VW have made (changes to sensors, diff sensor plugs, relocation of pipes/hoses) between the CMBA and the CXSA.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the excerise, I'd just get rid of the car.
    2004 VW Bora 4motion | 3.2 Swapped - R32 Trimmings | BBS CH | Forever fixing this bitch

Quote Originally Posted by beale187 View Post
    This is a helpful article.
    1.4 tsi 150 hp engine problems Are TSI engines reliable? Major problems and weaknesses. Engine troit and vibrates cold

At work buy/sell "salvage" vehicles. Over the years we have purchased numerous MK7 Golf's (mainly the twin charger 1.4 and 1.6) which have either suffered a cracked head or are using excessive oil due to skinny / weak piston rings. Some Audi's (A3 I think) have the same issue. It's just poor design.

You could source a used engine, the CSXA has a revised head which would be a better option. But still suffers from the thin piston rings anyways so even a used engine could have similar problems. Stretched timing chains is another problem.

You could go for a rebuild assuming the head isn't cracked.

As for the ECU, that's a tough one. It may be possible for the current ECU to be remapped to the CSXA. Or it may not even be necessary, really depends on what intricate changes VW have made (changes to sensors, diff sensor plugs, relocation of pipes/hoses) between the CMBA and the CXSA.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the excerise, I'd just get rid of the car.
    Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I couldn't get that site to open, seems to be a common thing with sites that have Russian domains.

I understand your train of thought with the whole getting rid of the car thing, however it is a bit tricky as our son (and we) can't afford to replace it at the moment (and at current used car prices), and he needs a car. He only bought the lemon about four months ago.

He can afford to install a used engine (around $3500 supplied and installed). We are looking at a CXSA engine with around 35,000km on it. The car only really needs to last him another couple of years.

Users Country Flag
    Its quite possible he bought the previous owners problem. Engine issues were probably diagnosed and the original owner decided to get rid of it instead of deal with a rebuild/repair. Unfortunately this is always a gamble when buying a used car.

I would just do the $3500 used engine option. Give it an oil change every 6 months with the correct spec VW504/507 approved oil and cross your fingers it will last the 3-4 years you need it to.

Im far too honest to sell something to someone knowing it had underlying issues without disclosing it (and pricing it appropriately), but many people do it and wouldn't bat an eyelid.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 08-04-2022 at 02:41 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Not that you are in Poland but I watched this the other night and found it interesting.
    TSI and TFSI engine overhaul - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffs View Post
    Not that you are in Poland but I watched this the other night and found it interesting.
    TSI and TFSI engine overhaul - YouTube
    Thanks for sharing that link, it was a good watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Im far too honest to sell something to someone knowing it had underlying issues without disclosing it (and pricing it appropriately), but many people do it and wouldn't bat an eyelid.
    Me too, I could never do that. It makes it even worse that it was purchased from a used car dealer, and not a private seller. Took it to Volkswagen around a week after purchase for a piece of mind check and they said it was a good car. It wasn't until the one month / 1000km statutory warranty expired that we noticed the oil consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyk82 View Post
    The engine in my son's Golf is consuming ridiculous quantities of motor oil and blowing black soot from the exhaust. It has been to the mechanic and we have been told he needs to either replace the engine or have it rebuilt.

We have been told by some people that we must install a CMBA engine as that is the engine type currently installed. Others have told us that we also have the option of installing a CXSA engine. Does anyone have knowledge around this?

If we were to replace the CMBA engine with a CXSA engine would we need to replace the ECU as well?

Any advice is appreciated.
    What was the outcome of this, was a remap required?

What did you end up doing?

I have the same problem and the dealer has offered to replace the engine at no cost but it is hard to find a low mileage unit but I have found a few CXSA units around.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic8v View Post
    What did you end up doing?

I have the same problem and the dealer has offered to replace the engine at no cost but it is hard to find a low mileage unit but I have found a few CXSA units around.
    Hi,

Careful with the CXSA engines if they are manufactured before mid 2014 they burn oil as crazy as well.

Here's the TPI for the CXSA engine oil consumption:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hkB...usp=share_link

Guto.
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...