Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which engine oil for EA888 206kw?

Users Country Flag

Which engine oil for EA888 206kw?

Hi guys,
    Thought in this part of the forum to get more visibility.

I noticed my Arteon needs a little top up of oil. Assuming the oil was right on the line of the "full mark" when I bought the car, it's now about half way down to the "minimum" line after about 7000km. Totally expected being a new engine and all.

I know VW use Castrol oils from the factory, and I'm assuming to top it up with the same oil I'd be putting in Castrol Edge (which meets the VW 502 00 specification).

What I'm unsure about is what weight of oil I should be using? I see that the 5-30w and the 0-40w both meet the VW 502 00 spec.

I remember something about the weight of the oil used being relevant to the climate/driving conditions. I'm in Brisbane so...I assume 5-30w? Or should I be using the 0-40w?
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    I use Penrite Enviro+ 5W-30. Meets VW 504/507 requirements. This is superior to the 502/505 standard, and AFAIK only comes in 5W-30.
    MY13 Golf GTI DSG (SOLD)| Candy White | 18" Detroits | Bi-Xenon Headlights | Street Guardian SG9665C
    MY18 Golf R DSG | Indium Grey | 19" Spielbergs | DAP | Sunroof | Viofo A119v2 (front) | BlueSkySea B1W (rear)
    Micro-CAN VCDS

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    Hi guys,
    Thought in this part of the forum to get more visibility.

I noticed my Arteon needs a little top up of oil. Assuming the oil was right on the line of the "full mark" when I bought the car, it's now about half way down to the "minimum" line after about 7000km. Totally expected being a new engine and all.

I know VW use Castrol oils from the factory, and I'm assuming to top it up with the same oil I'd be putting in Castrol Edge (which meets the VW 502 00 specification).

What I'm unsure about is what weight of oil I should be using? I see that the 5-30w and the 0-40w both meet the VW 502 00 spec.

I remember something about the weight of the oil used being relevant to the climate/driving conditions. I'm in Brisbane so...I assume 5-30w? Or should I be using the 0-40w?
    This information is all over the web.

Use any brand of your choice, however ensure it meets VW 504 00 / VW 507 00 spec (best to look for an "Approved" Oil also)...

For me personally it is Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL; Castrol Australia - NetLube

Best thing is you can top our your misses car also!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    VW 504 00 / VW 507 00

not the Castrol Edge 5w30 on sale at $30 for 5L from Supercheap Auto from time to time
    2018 BMW 125i M Sport |AlpineWhite|719M JetBlack|BlackLeather |ComfortPackage|Sunroof|WirelessCharging
    2010 MY10 R36 Wagon | Biscay Blue | Power Tailgate | RNS510 | MDI | RVC | 51,000 km |Garage Open Button | Dead Pedal Mod | OE Fit DRL | VCDS | Sprint Booster | H&R Rear Sway Bar | Alcantara Steering Wheel | Dual Reverse Light | 19" Bentley Wheels (BBS Forged Split) | Michelin PS 4S
    2005 MY05 AH Astra HatchBlack | Facelifted SRi Looking | OpeliZed | Whiteline RSB | Eibach ProKit

Users Country Flag
    I'm a VW, Euro, Turbo newbie. Having had only Toyotas for the last 10 years I have NEVER topped up the oil and usually do the servicing my self sometimes months late.

My Arteon being a new car I will be servicing at the dealership but should I be checking the oil? Driving N/A Toyotas has spoiled me over the years.
    Arteon & T-Roc

Users Country Flag
    Yup all turbo cars need to be checked regularly

Penrite Enviro+ 5W30

Sent from my iPhone
    2014 VW Golf TDI Highline DSG - Limestone Green, DAP, Xenons
    2018 VW Golf R Hatch DSG - White Silver, DAP , Dynaudio
    2016 Skoda Superb 140TDI - Family Members
    2013 VW Amarok TDI420 Highline Auto - Family Members

Users Country Flag
    LIQUI MOLY 5W40 Leichtlauf High Tech Engine Oil 1L | Sparesbox | Sparesbox

I use this in my R and no topping up needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Golf R. Lapiz Blue.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Passat R36 View Post
    VW 504 00 / VW 507 00

not the Castrol Edge 5w30 on sale at $30 for 5L from Supercheap Auto from time to time
    As noted above, the Castrol Edge 5W-30 LL (Long Life) VW 504 00 / VW 507 00; EDGE 5W-30 LL | Castrol EDGE - Car Engine Oil | Castrol Australia | Castrol EDGE | Castrol Car Engine Oils | Edge, Magnatec and GTX ranges | Engine Oil | Castrol Australia | Castrol™ Engine Oil & Lubricants - Castrol™ Australia
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Ok so... this is why I asked.

So everyone here reckons the VW 504 Long Life oil.
    However in the user manual, it says VW 504 is for "Flexible Service" schedules. And VW 502 should be used for "time/mileage" based service scheduling. I would assume time/mileage based servicing to be "12 months or 15,000km - whichever occurs first".

Also it says in the Arteon Manual (page 269)….
    The use of engine oils complaint with the VW 504 00, VW 507 00, and VW 508 00 specifications requires a fuel quality compliant with EN 228 (petrol) and EN 590 (diesel), or fuel of an equivalent quality.
    I can't find anywhere that says BP Ultimate (98RON) meets that standard. I found a thing on a UK website where it says BP Ultimate 102 (102RON) does meet the standard. But we don't get that here in Australia.

I'm not trying to be difficult... I'm just trying to get to the facts.

Also there's a foot note on page 269 of the manual that says
    "The engine oil VW 502 00 must be used if the fuel grade does not comply with EN 228"
    So I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this.
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast