Thread: Engine Bay maintenance/clean

Users Country Flag

Engine Bay maintenance/clean

Hi All, just wondering what other people are doing to clean/maintain their engine bay appearance. I generally just wipe the dust with an old rag/cloth and dispose it after use. Are there any tips for keeping the engine bay pristine?
    MY20 MK7.5 GTI - Solid White
    MY23 T-ROC STYLE - Silver Metallic

Users Country Flag
    So every 6 months or so i will give the engine bay a clean with some gentle all purpose cleaner and a high pressure Karcher. Just dont point the water directly at any electrical components. Then I use compressed air to blow water out of all electrical connections etc (although they are generally waterproof anyway).

Then every month or so I just wipe over with an old chamois that i only use for inside the door jambs and engine bay just to keep the dust under control.

I have used this method for many years on many different cars and never had an issue.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    damp cloth/rag at the end of each wash. i was my car once every 3 months or so.

Engine Bay maintenance/clean-engine-bay-jpg
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK seems like I'm on the right track. I have not tried using the pressure washer method yet. Do you use any type of chemical to keep the plastics and rubbers protected?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteran78 View Post
    Do you use any type of chemical to keep the plastics and rubbers protected?
    Nope - i dont like the shiny look and it just attracts dust. So i clean it and dry it and leave it there.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    I clean mine every 3 or 4 months, after a long drive such as going interstate the engine bay can be full of bugs and other various grime..
    I spray it down with some of this stuff, works a treat Orange Agent - for safe and powerful cleaning.
    Then hit it with the Karcher avoiding any wiring directly, you can also use plastic bags to insulate certain areas if you are worried.

Once washed, wipe down any plastics and puddled areas with a micro fiber cloth to avoid spotting, then go for a short drive around the block to warm it up and dry it out.
    2016 Golf R, APR Stage 1
    2010 Polo GTI 9n3, 4 Program APR Tune, PD160, White line front and rear sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Nope - i dont like the shiny look and it just attracts dust. So i clean it and dry it and leave it there.
    Thanks good tip.

Quote Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
    I clean mine every 3 or 4 months, after a long drive such as going interstate the engine bay can be full of bugs and other various grime..
    I spray it down with some of this stuff, works a treat Orange Agent - for safe and powerful cleaning.
    Then hit it with the Karcher avoiding any wiring directly, you can also use plastic bags to insulate certain areas if you are worried.

Once washed, wipe down any plastics and puddled areas with a micro fiber cloth to avoid spotting, then go for a short drive around the block to warm it up and dry it out.
    Thanks will have a look at Orange Agent.