Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EFB versus AGM Battery

Users Country Flag

EFB versus AGM Battery

I have a Golf R the battery has finally shown signs of impending failure, I rang VW original spares for a price, the original is a EFB and the dealer quoted $465 for a replacement EFB, I asked about going to AGM which is supposedly newer technology for stop start cars but the dealer insisted I stay with EFB. I called a few 3rd party battery suppliers and they all recommend AGM as the preferred replacement. I understand there may be some coding to register the battery change I have an OBD11 so that should be OK.

Has anyone had an experience upgrading from EFB to AGM?
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Just change it as an EFB is just a cheap alternative to an AGM My Passat had an AGM but I think they have swapped to EFB in later models and yes CODE IT IN 4 yearas ago my AGM was $415 installed and coded at the dealer
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    This is the aftermarket AGM battery that is in my Mk7 GTI. It has been coded to the car and works perfectly fine. Saves you $150 off the price from VW too: SUPERCHARGE START STOP MF66HSS AGM 760 CCA 24 MONTH WARRANTY BATTERY. – The Battery hub

Another AGM option to suit the Mk7 Golf: EXIDE EVOLUTION SSAGM-66EU 24 MONTH WARRANTY AGM BATTERY . – The Battery hub

And another: Century ISS Active AGM Battery DIN65LH AGM - Battery Central Brisbane

As for EFB vs AGM, AGM is supposedly the better battery technology. Looking online, you are hard pressed to find places selling EFB, everyone sells AGM.

In saying that, here are some EFB's options for the Mk7 Golf which I have saved in the favourites on my computer: VW Golf Mk7 PETROL Archives - Every Battery Pty Ltd
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 09-02-2022 at 08:53 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Bottom line...

EFB - standard battery
    EFB+ - for Start / Stop
    AGM - for Start / Stop (generally standard in Diesel models)

All will be priced higher as you go up the range...

Looks like you have got 5+ years on your factory battery (which I would imagine is an EFB+), so now is the chance to "upgrade" to an AGM, or if you were happy with what you had, just get another EFB+ battery.

Don't overthink the coding, if doing your self, just do it right...
    If a third party is doing it, JUST MAKE SURE THEY DO IT!!!
    If you get VW to replace the battery, it will be part of the replacement cost.

Genuine VW: Varta – 000 915 105 FC (EFB+ Start-Stop) 70Ah 420A 700A
    Genuine VW: Varta – 000 915 105 CC (AGM Start-Stop) 70Ah 420A 700A

Looks like it good enough for a brand spanking new VW Arteon Shooting Brake 206TSI, so I guess it will still be fine for your Golf R...

EFB versus AGM Battery-09022022-battery-jpg
    Last edited by ope126; 09-02-2022 at 09:53 AM.
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    OK I ended up buying a Yuasa AGM 70 Ah ISSYDIN65LH 36 months warranty from Battery World fitting was perfect a few errors reset after driving, I coded the new battery using an OBD11 all looks good. DIN65LH MF AGM ISS Yuasa Battery - Battery World Cost was $399.95
    Last edited by rosslm; 09-02-2022 at 07:58 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Yep the Yuasa will do the trick. Good warranty too.

The dashboard lights up like a christmas tree, but goes away after a short drive.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Yep the Yuasa will do the trick. Good warranty too.

The dashboard lights up like a christmas tree, but goes away after a short drive.
    Hi Lucas,

Looking at at the Yuasa or the Supercharge. Both available to purchase locally. Stock battery is an EFB but I want an AGM.

Battery world say coding for the 7.5 Golf R is unnecessary.
    My mechanic says he doesn't ever code them.

VW aftermarket workshop wants $675 with coding.

Dare I ask is the coding necessary since I don't have OBD11. Those that have the unit say it's necessary, but the shop and mechanic say it's not I am reading and hearing too many conflicting answers. Thanks for any input
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    I am sure there are thousands of cars driving around with batteries that have been replaced and have not been coded to the car. With that being said, it is best practice to code the new battery to the car so that the cars electronics are aware of the new battery. These articles below explain it better than I can.

In addition, most Mk7 and MK7.5 Golf's come from factory with an EFB (EFB is the battery technology, not the brand) battery, and replacement EFB batteries are hard to come by here in Australia. Most replace with an AGM battery (which as I understand is considered to be better technology) and so the car needs to know what battery type is fitted to the car to ensure optimal charging parameters.

⊳ Registering the battery - How to do it properly ❘ Banner know-how

Battery Registration: What, Why & How? | Midtronics.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Stock battery is an EFB but I want an AGM.
    hmm..... if you are intending to change the manufacture technology of the car's battery (as well as the battery itself) - it is absolute madness (IMO, of course) to believe that the longevity and the performance of the new battery (and therefore, the "bang for bucks" spent to purchase said battery) is optimized by not telling the Gateway module that a new battery is installed.

By ignoring to code the module - your fundamental assumption is that there is no difference in the long-term charging needs of EFB and AGM batteries (which just isn't true - no offense intended).

I have an extensive database of MQB build platform cars from around the world and WITHOUT EXCEPTION, the battery channels are individually factory-coded for the original battery on every car - even on those cars that don't have a battery monitor module installed. Do you believe that VW would bother to populate these channels if not needed?

Battery world say coding for the 7.5 Golf R is unnecessary.
    My mechanic says he doesn't ever code them.

Dare I ask is the coding necessary since I don't have OBD11. Those that have the unit say it's necessary, but the shop and mechanic say it's not I am reading and hearing too many conflicting answers. Thanks for any input
    Ain't nothing special about Battery world - they are the same as most Battery sales firms

Of course Battery world (not sure abut your mechanic) says that coding is unnecessary! That's because Battery world's objective is simply to sell batteries!! And the more batteries that they sell - the better is the return-on-investment for their shareholders (read "profit").

Why should Battery world divert the focus of their principal objective into arcane knowledge about how to code the different make/model cars to suit their batteries? These type of issues only serve to distract from their profit motives and it's not compatible with their business model

Battery world obviously assume that modern cars should continue to treat batteries with new technology the same way as was done on older cars. And clearly Battery world has such disdain for their customer's interests that they haven't even bothered to keep-up with what's needed to correctly operate these new technology batteries!

VW aftermarket workshop wants $675 with coding.
    $675??? Absolute high-way robbery !!! My advice - NEVER (meaning EVER) use this particular "VW aftermarket workshop". There are 4 x adaptation channels that need checking for a battery change - total time needed is no more than 15 minutes -and I'm being very generous. Most workshops charge a minimal 1 x hour fee. This should be more than enough for this task. Master-Tech time @ a dealer for 1 hour is about $225 (which again is outrageous - but still more acceptable than $675).

As you might be aware - this forum has a "pimping service" which introduces consenting forum members to those that own a diagnostic device. The normal gratuity for this service is an alcoholic beverage - even if you buy a bottle of 2014 Penfolds Grange Bin 95 Shiraz - you still make a substantial saving !!

Don:
    PS : maybe read the stuff in the link below:
    Cannot believe battery replacement cost | VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum
    Last edited by DV52; 09-02-2023 at 03:29 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

DV52 I am with you 100%. I did in fact get it coded in at the mechanic. He must have read up on it after I asked him about it a few months ago. Thanks for your input!
    RS
    R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast