Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eco mode problem

Users Country Flag

Eco mode problem

I have a 7.5 R and if I turn the car on and it’s in Eco mode, it doesn’t behave as if it is in Eco mode. No E in the gear indicator on the dash, and no coasting occurs. I have to toggle driving mode out of Eco then back again for these features to operate.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Ben
    Now: ‘19 VW Golf R, ‘15 Polo GTI
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

2015 Polo GTI & 2019 Golf R

I can't say for sure, as I have only tried Eco mode a couple of times, and it drained my will to live so much that I don't use it any more. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is designed into the programming for the DSG vs Driving mode for the car.

I mostly read complaints from Golf R owners that even though they always have their car in Race mode they still have to select Sport on the gear lever because the DSG always reverts back to D after they switch off (but in this case I think it is reasonable as you shouldn't be revving a cold engine). So it is logical that Eco mode would be the same (but there is no E setting available from the gear lever, so you have to do it via the car mode)

In your case I think it would be quite sensible to maintain Eco mode for the DSG after switching off the engine (if that's what you are quite sure that is what you really want )
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 03-11-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag
    Hiya - if you check in your owner manual (RTFM? lol) I think you will find the car defaults to Normal mode on start up, gearbox then is in D etc.

You have to re-select the driving mode away from Normal each time you start (regardless of what mode it says it is in).

Cheers,

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    The weird thing is it’s not defaulting to Normal on startup. It stays in Eco, according to the driving mode selection screen, or whatever mode id selected previously. But the car behaves as if it’s in Normal mode.

Ben
    Before: ‘06 RenaultSport Megane 225 Cup, ‘14 VW Polo GTI, ‘12 VW Golf GTI, ‘06 VW Golf GTI, ‘05 VW Golf Sportline, ‘01 Holden Astra SRi, ‘00 Nissan Pulsar SSS, ‘99 Holden Astra CD, ‘98 Nissan Pulsar SLX, ‘91 Nissan Pulsar GL with Q engine swap, ‘80 Subaru Leone
    Ben

Ben,

It can be confusing because there are two quite separate but related modes, one for the car, and a different one for the DSG, but IIRC they have been programmed to only interact in a certain ways:

Five Driving Modes (Normal, Race, Comfort, Eco, Individual). When changed, these can also change the DSG mode. When the engine is switched on the previous Driving mode is retained, but the DSG mode always reverts back to D (doesn't stay as S or E, regardless of previous Driving Mode)

Three DSG Modes (D or S can be selected via Driving Mode &/or Gearlever/Paddles; E(co) can only accessed by changing Driving Mode to Eco.

Does that make what is happening a bit clearer ? I agree that isn't what you want (or even what is logical), but that seems to be the way VW has programmed these cars.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 05-11-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

What happens if you flick the lever down twice when you start up i.e. D -> S -> D ...

Does that get you back into eco (gear) mode (don't change it on the drive mode screen).
    RS
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    What happens if you flick the lever down twice when you start up i.e. D -> S -> D ...

Does that get you back into eco (gear) mode (don't change it on the drive mode screen).
    It still ends up in D. To make it go back into E mode for the DSG I either have to press the physical mode button 5 times (to go from E thru all the modes and back to E) or press the physical button once then tap Economy on the screen.

Seems counterintuitive to remember the driving mode but not the DSG mode.

Ben
    Ben

Ah yes I tried this and forgot to write back.

Stupid isn’t it !

I just don’t use eco mode . Maybe only if I’m low on fuel.

Users Country Flag
    I get the same fuel economy no matter what mode I'm in. Maybe I can do magic ?

I usually drive in individual mode with race drive mode and steering but normal everything else and fuel economy is the least of my concerns but my wife prefers to use less petrol where possible although she a leadfoot.

Ben
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast