Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EBAY INTERCOOLER. whos done it ?

Users Country Flag

EBAY INTERCOOLER. whos done it ?

anyone running an ebay intercooler in here? golf r, gti, skoda e.t.c

how are you finding it and how did you find installing it.

I can't comment on for your vehicle, but I ran a chinese tube and fin intercooler (sent from New Zealand??) with 35psi through it in a TD42 patrol built for mud and rocks for 5 years with no issue. While a couple of the fins were a little loose, it never missed a beat and was put through hell. While I would always promote buying Aus made, I really don't think you will see a performance difference between the 2. It would just be different in some quality and maybe the specific fit but your vehicle is pretty common so might not be an issue.

Users Country Flag
    The Rev9 and Majesty are apparently the go-to ebay intercoolers for MQB cars.

Here is a test of a similar ebay intercooler vs the known popular name brands. They are certainly an improvement over the stock intercooler (although note that the stock intercooler referenced in these tests is the GTI intercooler, which has a thinner core than the R intercooler - so the R intercooler would perform better).

Mk7 GTI eBay Tube & Fin Intercooler Bench Test | My Golf Mk7 GTI

I had an ebay intercooler in my Mk6 R and was quite impressed with it for the price. Its certainly not as good (fitment, quality or performance) as the more expensive options, but for the money it was pretty impressive. THS Copy Intercooler review and installation pictorial semi-DIY

For my Mk7 GTI I did some research and decided to use the DO88 intercooler. As tested here do88 Intercooler Bench Cooling Test | My Golf Mk7 GTI it cost me $1,160 incl freight direct from DO88 in Sweden. They make parts for Koenigsegg so you can imagine the quality and performance they demand.

Pics here: do88 intercooler for MQB platform

What I will say is that the stock intercooler is made to a very low cost point, and literally anything would be an improvement. The core is very light (not good for heatsoak), fin design is sparse (not good for cooling capability) and the glued on plastic end tanks are prone to leak over time. So rest assured, an ebay intercooler would be an upgrade over stock without a doubt.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 30-05-2022 at 05:44 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Just adding to Lucas' piece .... For my R I have also bought the DO88 a few months ago and even though I haven't had the time yet to fit it, it certainly looks excellent. Interestingly, even though it is made in Sweden, and ordered through their website, it was shipped to me from a local (NSW) supplier within 2 days.

I have run Ebay intercoolers before, on Polo GTI and it flow and performance tested as an equivalent to the APR one at the time. I did buy another to run on the Up! and it certainly appears really well made with cast end tanks and decent fins and tubes. Fitting it to a car that does not run a FMIC in any form (even the Up! GTI runs a water to air one similar to the TSI Polos) will be interesting ....
    Last edited by Sharkie; 31-05-2022 at 07:42 AM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    [QUOTE=Sharkie;1337239]Just adding to Lucas' piece .... For my R I have also bought the DO88 a few months ago and even though I haven't had the time yet to fit it, it certainly looks excellent. Interestingly, even though it is made in Sweden, and ordered through their website, it was shipped to me from a local (NSW) supplier within 2 days.

ive seen a bit about the do88 intercooolers with forums online but havent looked into them much apart from that but they sound good

Personally im about to install my big black WANGER competition cooler ( ebay wagner) thats been sitting around .. looks the same.. exact same specs. good build e.t.c looking forward to it

I just fitted a Wagner to my V6 Amarok. Very nice quality piece of kit and fit exactly as it should.

looks like a solid unit... dwarfs the OEM ic.

Hows ur amarok going? was thinking about 1 of those

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    Personally im about to install my big black WANGER competition cooler ( ebay wagner) thats been sitting around .. looks the same.. exact same specs. good build e.t.c looking forward to it
    When you take out the stock intercooler, you will see how just about anything would be an improvement. Im sure your Wagner copy will be fine. Just have a file (or Dremel) on hand in case you need to open up the casting where the intercooler connects to the radiator.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    When you take out the stock intercooler, you will see how just about anything would be an improvement. Im sure your Wagner copy will be fine. Just have a file (or Dremel) on hand in case you need to open up the casting where the intercooler connects to the radiator.
    going by the amount of positive reviews from usa.. im certain its a wagner without the cast logo on it.. they send the wagner instruction with it too... so probably going to be the same performance as a 2k wagner.. score

as for install.. ive read mixed reviews on whether u need to file anything some ppl say yeh some say no... but ive read u need to make some mounting brackets which dont come with the WANGER . (they do come with the WAGNER).. will see when i do it all.. might take some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    looks like a solid unit... dwarfs the OEM ic.

Hows ur amarok going? was thinking about 1 of those
    Going good. this is my third one but first V6. Just waiting for turbo to be built. Taking quite along time. Just did tyres and upgraded brakes to ready for turbo.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast