Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EA211 Engine knock and pulling too much timing.

EA211 Engine knock and pulling too much timing.

Hi there,

I’m having an issue and quite lost right now. Over the last few weeks, I started to notice that I had some knock between 1000-2000rpm. I thought that could be caused by worn spark plugs and I replaced them (gapped to .7 and torqued at 22nm as per VW manual) and new APR coil packs. The knock improved a lot but still there. It's an EA211 CXSA engine at about 115k KM.

At the time when I had the plugs out, I did a compression test in all for cylinders (I think I did right) and all them came between 130-145psi (VW says when new between 145-210psi, max wear at 100psi and max of 40psi between them).

I spoke with the company that done the tune for me and he told me to gap the spark plugs down to .4 due the extra boost. He also prompts to do a log and see if there was anything wrong with the tune. In the logs showed that the cylinder 2 and 3 was pulling time up to 9,5 degrees in some cases!

He put the original tune back and the car still pulling time but this time around 4 degrees and the time being pulled randomly between them, not necessarily the same cylinder pulling 4 degrees. Sometimes number 2 pulls 3 and the 3 pulls 1-2 degrees and another time the 2 pulls 1 degrees and the 3 4 degrees.

I checked the stretch of the timing belt through VCDS and is saying that the camshaft is correcting by 5.3 degrees (VW says that anything over –/+ 5 degrees the belt/chain needs to be replaced ASAP). I have the car booked to do the belt this Tuesday.

I don’t know if that is happening because the camshaft is correcting too much or if there’s something else wrong.

Anyone here had or heard about this issue?

Thanks.

Guto.
    Last edited by Gutoneto; 28-07-2022 at 09:15 PM.
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...

Users Country Flag
    Timing belt should have been done at 105,000km. Beyond that every km is taking the engine's life in your hands ....
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Running it on 91 or 95?????
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Throw 5-10L of E85 in the tank along with 98 and see if it still pulls timing, you may just have a dodgy batch of fuel after all the rain the east coast has had.

But also, if you have done 115,000km and on the original timing belt then best get that replaced to rule out belt stretch.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Timing belt should have been done at 105,000km. Beyond that every km is taking the engine's life in your hands ....
    I know, but life and work got in the way and finally I'll get done this Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Running it on 91 or 95?????
    Always 98 since I bought it, and about 80% of the time BP otherwise Caltex.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Throw 5-10L of E85 in the tank along with 98 and see if it still pulls timing, you may just have a dodgy batch of fuel after all the rain the east coast has had.

But also, if you have done 115,000km and on the original timing belt then best get that replaced to rule out belt stretch.
    I will need to wait until next week as I fill out the tank yesterday, also it will give time to see if situation improves after Tuesday when I will get the timing belt replaced.

Users Country Flag
    Have you tried the next colder plug ?
    2013 Touareg V8 TDI R line and spanner on my sons Mk4 R32

Quote Originally Posted by rgh0 View Post
    Have you tried the next colder plug ?
    I haven't yet. I'm using NGK's Laser Platinum PZKER7A8EGS. These are recommended but not sure about what temp it is, I always get confused (don't know if 7 or 8 ) and couldn't find something more specific either.
    Last edited by Gutoneto; 02-08-2022 at 08:47 PM.
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gutoneto View Post
    I haven't yet. I'm using NGK's Laser Platinum PZKER7A8EGS. These are recommended but not sure about what temp it is, I always get confused (don't know if 7 or 8 ) and couldn't find something more specific either.

The standard plugs are platinum iridium laser welded NGK IZKR7B. These are expensive and people often substitute cheaper plugs.

I am not familiar with the plugs you are using but I assume the first number 7 in your existing plugs is the heat range as that would be the normal NGK numbering convention. I would look for the standard plug style but trying in a 8 ( which is colder) heat range i.e. NGK IZKR8B if you can find it. If you cant find the exact same style in a colder heat range then you need to research the NGK coding and availability to find something equivalent but colder heat range

cheers
    Rohan
    2013 Touareg V8 TDI R line and spanner on my sons Mk4 R32

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast