Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E10 in 7.5 Golf R

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Well, I have emails from VW too .... and it says .... use 98 at all times and only use 95 in an emergency.

BTW, not all 98s are equal too, best to use BP as your 1st choice, followed by Caltex/Shell and then the rest.
    The fact is 90% of our fuel is imported, mostly from Singapore, it is already refined so there is no difference between brands. Unless you live in an area serviced by one of the 4 refineries left in Australia (Melbourne Exxon, Geelong Viva, Brisbane Ampol & Freemantle BP), but even they supply multiple retail brands, so no real difference there either.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    The fact is 90% of our fuel is imported, mostly from Singapore, it is already refined so there is no difference between brands. Unless you live in an area serviced by one of the 4 refineries left in Australia (Melbourne Exxon, Geelong Viva, Brisbane Ampol & Freemantle BP), but even they supply multiple retail brands, so no real difference there either.

Cheers
    Gary
    Correct on where it all comes from, but apparently the additives each brand adds does make a difference. At least here in Brisbane, we can/could tell the difference between them on the dyno. BP has always been consistently the best in the power stakes with Shell/Caltex reasonably close and the rest pretty obviously not as good.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by mattyf83 View Post
    Hi Guys

I just got a dreaded text from my wife. "I just put half a tank in your car, E10 like you like"

Obviously the car is recommended 98/5 and has only ever been filled with 98. How likely is this to cause an issue? Would it be better to fill the rest with 98 increasing the octane? or use the E10 to get the ethanol out of the tank quicker and then fill with 98?

Thanks guys.
    I put 91 in once. went inside and bought two bottles of octane booster, job done.

Users Country Flag
    If its only half full fill it up with 98 and when it gets 1/4 down keep filling it with 98 to dilute the E 10.. Give wife a strict talking to.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Correct on where it all comes from, but apparently the additives each brand adds does make a difference. At least here in Brisbane, we can/could tell the difference between them on the dyno. BP has always been consistently the best in the power stakes with Shell/Caltex reasonably close and the rest pretty obviously not as good.
    I occasionally use PUMA 98 in my BMW as its on the way to work and invariably cheaper than others. No harm I am guessing but not as good as the others ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12