Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Mass Flywheel DMF Failure 7 speed DSG 100k milage, MK7 Golf 90TSI 2013.

Users Country Flag

What did you say to have them cover the costs?

Quote Originally Posted by VWTDI View Post
    I just heard back from the VW dealer. After going back to the VW head office 3 times at my request and explaining to them what my rights are under the Australian Consumer Law, they have agreed to replace the flywheel at no cost to me. Well done VW!

VWTDI

I am currently in the same predicament. My 2013 Tiguan has been a problem from day 1. Bought brand new from VW dealership and only ever serviced at VW. Within the first year we experienced cracked pistons, that was covered through warranty. Then, the supercharger was rubbing, that again was covered by warranty (had to fight for this one!), another problem with the bearings (that cost us over $2000). Now, we have the loose flywheel which they've quoted $5000 to repair. So all up, the car will have $12000 worth of repairs in 5 years! We have asked VW service to request VW cover the costs for the flywheel. We're waiting for their response.

We are looking at Australian Consumer Law and the ACCC but not sure what to say or who to contact. How did you get them to replace your flywheel at no cost?

Appreciate any advice!

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim1 View Post
    VWTDI

I am currently in the same predicament. My 2013 Tiguan has been a problem from day 1. Bought brand new from VW dealership and only ever serviced at VW. Within the first year we experienced cracked pistons, that was covered through warranty. Then, the supercharger was rubbing, that again was covered by warranty (had to fight for this one!), another problem with the bearings (that cost us over $2000). Now, we have the loose flywheel which they've quoted $5000 to repair. So all up, the car will have $12000 worth of repairs in 5 years! We have asked VW service to request VW cover the costs for the flywheel. We're waiting for their response.

We are looking at Australian Consumer Law and the ACCC but not sure what to say or who to contact. How did you get them to replace your flywheel at no cost?

Appreciate any advice!
    Looks like you've had a very unlucky run. I ended up playing the angle that my "major fault" (regardless of how it occurred) had occurred within a period of time that a "reasonable consumer" would expect the the fault to not happen.

The guidelines do not specify what a reasonable time is for a product to be fault free, so that is up to interpretation. I argued that at 100,000km (and only 30k on the 3 clutch) a reasonable consumer would expect the clutch to be fault free.

Have a read of this: https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files...airs-guide.pdf

Pg 4 -"In particular, it provides guidance onthe legal rights and obligations createdby consumer guarantees provided bythe ACL. Remedies are available whenthere is a major failure to comply with aconsumer guarantee"

Pg 5 - "A Manufacturer guarantees - they will make available repairfacilities or spare parts for areasonable time"

Pg 12 - "Major failures - A major failure to comply withthe consumer guarantees includesthe following:• a reasonable consumer would nothave bought the vehicle if they hadknown about the full extent of theproblem. For example, no reasonableconsumer would buy a new vehiclewith so many recurring faults thatthe vehicle has spent more time offthe road than on it because severalqualified repairers have been unableto solve the problem"

The dealership made a few counter offers of cost price parts, half price labor etc. but I swung that around and said that was essentially VW admitting that they are responsible for the repairs. I just outright said (on each offer they made) that I am not paying anything for the repairs, and that I will be taking it to the ACCC if they don't sort it out.

Being polite and not a **** definitely helps with conflict. I often play the "If this was you how would you feel" card.

The dealership had to go back to VW head office a few times, so it took about 2 weeks to sort out.

I hope that helps and good luck. Let me know how you go.

Jeremy

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by trojon View Post
    It sounds to me like the car is being driven as though it's a full automatic, rather than a DSG.
    I've seen people say this multiple times - not only on this forum but others.

What does that even mean? "Driven as though it's an automatic?"

I've got a DSG. I put my foot on the accelerator, the car goes. I put my foot on the brake, the car stops. That's how I would drive an automatic aswell. What's the difference between doing that in a DSG car vs a traditional automatic?
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Users Country Flag
    Exercising more patience with the gear changes essentially. Not lifting your foot off completely like a manual but in particular when braking but not stopping being slower to accelerate to allow the mechatronics to set up the next gear.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    I've seen people say this multiple times - not only on this forum but others.

What does that even mean? "Driven as though it's an automatic?"

I've got a DSG. I put my foot on the accelerator, the car goes. I put my foot on the brake, the car stops. That's how I would drive an automatic aswell. What's the difference between doing that in a DSG car vs a traditional automatic?
    Do you hold it with the accelerator on a hill like in a slush box? Do you creep in traffic by lifting your foot partially off the brake?

Thats what kills the clutches, but mainly in the dry clutch versions like the DQ200
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Do you hold it with the accelerator on a hill like in a slush box? Do you creep in traffic by lifting your foot partially off the brake?

Thats what kills the clutches, but mainly in the dry clutch versions like the DQ200
    Is it actually possible to hold the car on a hill with the accelerator like a TC box?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    Is it actually possible to hold the car on a hill with the accelerator like a TC box?
    Yes if you are game/stupid enough to do it.

TC box?????

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yes if you are game/stupid enough to do it.

TC box?????
    have you done it or going by something on the internet? Torque converter.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ozsko View Post
    have you done it or going by something on the internet? Torque converter.
    Have done it plenty of times in Slushboxes but have too much respect for my wallet to do it in a DSG

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12