Thread: DSG Question

Users Country Flag

DSG Question

Hi all Looking at buying a mk7 or7.5 golf GTi. I Keep hearing about issues with the dsg gearbox and wondered if the issues were specific to certain years.. What should i be looking for if the box is faulty? How much roughly does a Dsg box cost be overhaul or replace. Is a manual car a better option? Any advice would be welcome Thanks

Alan

Users Country Flag

DSG Question

The DSG in the TDI’s, GTI’s and R’s are solid and generally very reliable. This covers the 6 speed DQ250 (used in Mk5, Mk6 and early Mk7’s) and the 7 speed DQ381 found in the facelift Mk7.5 models. Obviously with any mass produced product you will get the occasional dud or problematic one.

The DSG’s used in the lower spec/lower powered Golf’s (DQ200) is the problem child you have probably read about - its a different DSG gearbox to that what is fitted to the TDI/GTI/R and are well known for their flaws and issues.

Manuals are pretty hard to find unfortunately, as the vast majority were sold with the DSG gearbox. Having owned both manual Mk6 GTI and R, and now a DSG Mk7 GTI I do prefer the simplicity, reliability, and smoothness of the manual. Note that the manuals have a weak clutch, so if you plan to get your new car tuned for more power and torque, you will more than likely exceed the holding capacity of the clutch - resulting in a slipping clutch. Obviously a new clutch with a higher torque rating can solve that issue but will cost you about $1500.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Hi Lucas_R Many thanks for your detailed reply Just what i was after..

Regards
    Alan

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The DSG in the TDI’s, GTI’s and R’s are solid and generally very reliable. This covers the 6 speed DQ250 (used in Mk5, Mk6 and early Mk7’s) and the 7 speed DQ381 found in the facelift Mk7.5 models. Obviously with any mass produced product you will get the occasional dud or problematic one.
    I got a dud! 7.5 Golf R Wagon that needed a new mechatronics at 37,000 km. Luckily VW covered 100% of cost as it was out of warranty (3 years when I bought it)
    2022 Tiguan R Reflex Silver