Thread: DSG death rattle?

Users Country Flag

DSG death rattle?

Hi Folks, sheilas and blokes, need a little help trying to diagnose a strange rattle coming from the front end of my 2013 Golf 90 DSG, the rattle only appears when going up a hill around 10-15km/h, sounds like the engine is labouring, however, as the car is on it's 4th clutch pack, mechatronics unit and fly wheel perhaps the rattle is coming from the gearbox. She's booked in next week with VW for a diagnostic as the gearbox still has 12 months left on its two year parts warranty (all work has been covered under warranty in the past) however, if it's not the DSG i get stung for $176 diagnostic charge and then have to get whatever is causing the clackety clack fixed at my independent. I've tried to record the sound best I can and uploaded to youtube on the link below, appreciate any advice, cheers

car has done 147,000 and had timing belt changed at 110,000 in 2018

Golf - YouTube

Users Country Flag
    Well if you have had 4 clutch packs in it sounds like your driving style may be suspect.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like detonation (also known as pinging or pre-ignition) to me, but these things are so hard to try and diagnose over the internet. Has the car got good fuel in it (at least 95 RON premium unleaded)?

Does the sound go away at a different RPM or if you put your foot down more? Are you in 1st or 2nd gear when trying to make this noise occur?
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Well if you have had 4 clutch packs in it sounds like your driving style may be suspect.
    My brothers wife's Skoda Yeti is needing its 3rd clutch pack and its only done 60,000km. They have a steep driveway and it burns the crap out of the clutches getting up the driveway every day - they are just garbage.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Sounds like detonation (also known as pinging or pre-ignition) to me, but these things are so hard to try and diagnose over the internet. Has the car got good fuel in it (at least 95 RON premium unleaded)?

Does the sound go away at a different RPM or if you put your foot down more? Are you in 1st or 2nd gear when trying to make this noise occur?

yep, the rattle only occurs between 1200-2000 rpm. If i drive up a hill in auto and keep the car in second at 20 km/h the noise is pretty obvious
    Last edited by DerekSmith; 21-01-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    My brothers wife's Skoda Yeti is needing its 3rd clutch pack and its only done 60,000km. They have a steep driveway and it burns the crap out of the clutches getting up the driveway every day - they are just garbage.
    Yep, I've got a steep driveway also, I actually wanted the manual but back in December 2013 they were few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Always a possibility, i heard years ago you shouldn't try and ride the clutch

UPDATE: For anyone interested in low Rpm clatter, the diagnosis is that the piston seal(s) have failed or are failing, they replicated the clattering and when I said the the car has also burned 5 litres of oil in 6 months the mech said it would need new pistons and seals, perhaps valve stem seals! need to wait for their estimate to confirm exactly what it needs and then go and get some quotes.