Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do88 intercooler for MQB platform

Users Country Flag

do88 intercooler for MQB platform

Is anyone with a Mk7/7.5 GTI or R running the do88 intercooler?

Any feedback?

I've been doing some research on intercoolers lately as this will probably be my next mod, and the do88 intercooler is one of the best performing intercoolers available and is priced several hundred lower than most, at $1,245+ $90 shipping.

I was initially going to buy a IE or Wagner intercooler, but these are about $300-600 more than the do88 and in most cases, perform worse. The IE is the closest rival.

The do88 intercoolers are from Sweden, not China like I initially thought when I saw the brand name.

Given the amount of testing this guy has done on all of the known MQB intercoolers, he recommends the do88 or IE intercooler as being the best performing.

Intercooler Test of the Volkswagen Mk7 GTI | My Golf Mk7 GTI

do88 Intercooler Bench Cooling Test | My Golf Mk7 GTI

do88 Intercooler Flow Test | My Golf Mk7 GTI

AUDI / SEAT / SKODA / VW 1.8 / 2.0 TSI (MQB) INTERCOOLER – DO88

do88 intercooler for MQB platform-do88-intercooler-jpg
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 23-07-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Well....after more research I found some more good feedback on the do88 products, as well as finding out that they supply products for Koenigsegg which is pretty cool. Im sure that if they can keep 1000+hp hypercars cool then they will keep my humble GTI under control also.

Ordered directly from do88 in Sweden instead of via the Australian distributor it was about $200 cheaper buying directly. Total cost including shipping was $1,168 AUD at today's exchange rate. This makes it pretty much the most affordable aftermarket intercooler for the MQB chassis (unless you count the Chinese intercoolers on ebay etc), and according to testing done in the links above, one of the best performing.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 23-07-2021 at 09:35 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    Why do you do this to me, Lucas?

I have just acquired a DP for the R and was thinking about an intercooler next ..... now this
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    Why do you do this to me, Lucas?

I have just acquired a DP for the R and was thinking about an intercooler next ..... now this
    . You are just too easy Sharkie haha. Basically, the do88, Unitronic and the Integrated Engineering are the best performing intercoolers for the MQB chassis cars. And the do88 is substantially cheaper than both the Unitronic and IE.

I have owned several Unitronic parts previously and they were beautifully made, so no doubt the intercooler would be also. Same with IE, I would have preferred to use IE as I already have their tune, intake and downpipe - but I just cant justify $1600+ for an intercooler. Even at $1,168 for the do88, its expensive for an intercooler. Will update this thread with pics and feedback (and logs if possible using the IE logging tool) in the coming weeks.

IE
    $1629 is the cheapest place I can find this currently (DubAddiction and VW Central)

Unitronic
    Cant find a local price for the Unitronic online, but it can be purchased direct from USA for around $1250-1300 AUD. There are local dealers for Unitronic though so im sure a local price could be obtained.
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 14-07-2021 at 04:50 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Giddy up - the intercooler has left Sweden and should be here mid-next week.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Exciting stuff.

Noting all these things down when it's time to play with performance on my car.
    MY20 MK7.5 Golf GTI - Tornado Red - LP/S&SP
    MY19 AW Polo - Comfortline - DAP

do88 intercooler for MQB platform

Intercooler arrived and first impressions are good - it looks very nicely made.

It was well packaged and arrived undamaged which is always a good thing. I would not recommend UPS for a courier, their tracking was hopeless at best and then once it arrived in Australia they hand it over to Startrack to deliver. Startrack use a different tracking number which was also useless and I am not a fan of Startrack from my previous experiences. So if anyone else buys directly from do88 in Sweden, pay a little more for the far better and quicker DHL shipping.

Last edited by Lucas_R; 03-08-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I can also vouch for DHL. They might cost a bit more than other international couriers, but they have impressed me several times now.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

The original GTI intercooler is a very basic unit, obviously made to a very low cost and leaves a lot of room for improvement. You could easily upgrade to an intercooler thats 1/2 the size but with a better quality core, and have a better performing intercooler.

The new do88 intercooler is a considerable upgrade in both core quality, thickness of the core (from 30mm to about 58mm) and more durable larger capacity cast end tanks.

Time to rip the whole front of the car off. Thankfully my trusty battery powered ratchet wrench made the job of removing a million Torx bolts faster:

Standard VW intercooler core:

do88 intercooler core:

Core comparison:

Putting it all back together:

2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag

looks good mens .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast