Thread: DIY waterpump / thermostat

Users Country Flag

DIY waterpump / thermostat

does anyone know whats best to use on the waterpump union tube (to oil)... installed a replacement waterpump the other day and thought it was all gravy but after about 15 - 20 mins of letting the car run it leaking like crazy and making some crazy hissing sound like a hose or something has come loose possibly the union is not sitting properly.. had some pressure spraying and steam / water coming from that area but could not see properly with everything reinstalled... i used a bit of coolant on the o-ring in the union like ive seen on a video / thread somewhere but am seeing sillicone lubricant grease or even sealant is best.

already watched / inspected underneath the car during warming up and had a bit of dripping looked like it was starting somewhere near where the thermostat screws onto the block and was in a completely different spot to where the last pump was leaking.. am assuming it is near the union somewhere and then started making all the dramatic noises and spraying after approx 15 - 20 min so probably built up too much pressure / heat for it.

Users Country Flag
    Did you replace the union? You're meant to.

I just use silicone spary on them.

How much of the pump did you replace? All of it, including the thermost?
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Did you replace the union? You're meant to.

I just use silicone spary on them.

How much of the pump did you replace? All of it, including the thermost?

ok nice, i have sillicon spray and was wondering if that would work will give it a try when i undo it again.

I already replaced the waterpump. theromostat as 1 piece and the union is new but something was spraying hard.. thought it was all done up properly and lined up but clearly not.

did it without removing manifold and removing the throttlebody instead

just took the pump and thermo off and was dry everywhere except underneath / behind the union area so assuming it leaked from there.. just double checking if anyone has used sealant of some sort for this job before for the union to stay put

just reinstalled the pump... used sillicone spray lube on the union orings. noticed that union had a bit of trouble fitting into the oil cooler side hole i had to rotate it for it to pop in and sit flush.. tried to have it in that spot when reinserting the waterpump with the belt already on the teeth and manged to line the union up with the pump hole and slide it on decently and lined up with the dowel & holes and then bolted the middle bolt while holding in line.. seems to be sitting properly but thats what i thought last time too but think imay have been careless with the union last time

does this sound about right to guys who successfully did this with no leak

Users Country Flag
    I just fit the pump up, and worry about the belt afterwards.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    I just fit the pump up, and worry about the belt afterwards.
    ok thanks for ur help brudda.

bought a vacuum pressure tester.. found alot of leaking noise coming from that area when under 7 - 10psi pressure.. took it all off again for the 2nd time.. took the new / replacement union which i had a hunch was faulty or something was wrong from the get go with how it was not sitting into the cooler properly everytime without the thermo felt like something wrong.

inspected the o-rings that seem to be pretty loose again tested it in old waterpump connection and found it had a bit of play which wasnt expected from a new item.

put the old union back in which was in surprisingly good shape and seemed to be popping into the old waterpump quite nicely... used small amount sillicon spray and felt like it all popped in and stayed put nicely in the oil cooler and then thermo... which let the thermo /waterpump sit in flush on the guide pins which was a little bit of a struggle everytime with the last union which was very surprising.

pressure tested it seemed to stop making that noise only 1 very minor leak from 1 of the hose clamps ... after fiddling for 30 mint trying to get rid of the leak i figure it needs a new clamp put everything back together ran the car and works so far no leaks 10 - 20 min bone dry.

pretty easy job on the 3rd time around maybe 1 - 2 hr max if u know what ur doing ... did it all with the belt seated ontot the teeth then mounted onto the block / pins.