Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coding new battery?

Coding new battery?

So after getting a battery low message on my golf mk7 and the stop start not working i replaced my car battery with another AGM which has the same specs etc.
    Anyway stop start still not working and i copped another battery low message today.
    I've googled and some people say i need to code a new battery so it "relearns the battery". Any truth to this?

Users Country Flag
    Yes, the battery has to be coded in with scanner or a special tool.

Users Country Flag

Users Country Flag
    it's done like this (for VCDS) and very similar for OBD11 - this depends of course on whether your new battery has the BEM data. If it doesn't, then enter as much data as you can and just make sure that you change the "notional serial number"; it's generally a string of 1's as set at the factory -so just change one of the 1s to zero.

Note: MQB platform vehicles like the mk7 use UDS protocols - so start the video @ about 4:47 minutes

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 19-08-2018 at 08:41 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    I've changed the batteries on both of my keys and they both worked fine with no coding required.
    MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | Carbon Steel | DSG | Front Windows Tinted | JB1 (Map 6) | Sunroof | Folding Mirrors Retrofitted | Current
    W211 E55 AMG | Previous

Users Country Flag
    No, the actual car battery.

I changed one the other week without coding. As far as I know, the car hasn't spontaneously combusted yet. Start/Stop worked, charging system worked, no fault codes logged. Yet to see a definitive reason why it needs to be done, besides German bureaucracy.

I'd say test the new battery.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    No, the actual car battery.

I changed one the other week without coding. As far as I know, the car hasn't spontaneously combusted yet. Start/Stop worked, charging system worked, no fault codes logged. Yet to see a definitive reason why it needs to be done, besides German bureaucracy.

I'd say test the new battery.
    Thought it was due to the car being smart enough to do something to the charging rate as battery gets older and then when new battery is installed it doesnt charge at the correct rate
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    The battery died on my car and had the dealer replace it under warranty. If your car still has warranty try the dealer first. have to be force full.

Users Country Flag
    VW are good at engineering their cars. Both batteries in both cars died 1 month and 2 months after the 3 year warranty expired.

Users Country Flag

They dont make the batteries though They buy them in usually from Bosch
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast