Support VWWC

Thread: Golf R 7.5 Loss Of Power

Golf R 7.5 Loss Of Power

Hi All, just wanted to see if anyone has experienced loss of power in there Golf R’s? And if so what was the cause of this? Thanks.

This is a pretty vague post.. do you have more detail? E.g when under boost I lose power/revs

Or is it that you feel like it isn't as powerful as when you picked it up?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Hi Grugly, just a general query. I was reading a few comments in another VW forum (overseas) and people have experienced it at between 3-4rpm and when you got to slam on the throttle. Thoughts are the gears get confused which gear to go into and then a loss of power is experienced but returns in a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Abr126 View Post
    Hi Grugly, just a general query. I was reading a few comments in another VW forum (overseas) and people have experienced it at between 3-4rpm and when you got to slam on the throttle. Thoughts are the gears get confused which gear to go into and then a loss of power is experienced but returns in a few seconds.
    Id stop reading any American forums, particularly when it comes to DSG's and how they work as they tend to circlejerk about manual transmissions.

There can be a slight delay if it has the wrong gear lined up to you current driving style. E.g your slowing down and then you plant the throttle it would have experienced a delay as it was expecting to shift down.

Personally, I've never experienced this as I generally drive in M mode 90% of the time and select the gear I want with the DSG.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thanks Grugly

Quote Originally Posted by Abr126 View Post
    Thanks Grugly
    If you're in fourth gear with not many revs (say 1500? or 2000?) and just on the throttle (cruising), the DSG will have fifth gear selected on the other shaft with the clutch waiting to engage. The opposite will happen as soon as you lift out of the throttle (zero % / closed) then the other shaft will change from fifth to third. So you can imaging that you are in/out of the throttle the gearbox is constantly shifting between 3 and 5.

So sometimes the DSG will feel slow depending on what the car was doing just before requesting a shift change.

Eg - So while cruising in fourth and you then demand power by depressing the throttle and the ECU determines that the gearbox should be in third it will have to deselect fifth and select third before decoupling the clutch plate and then engage third and then engaging the clutch

This all takes times.

If the ECU determines that your power demand is greater than third and requires second gear then that all needs to happen on the same shaft slower again.

Any dual clutch going up the box (2 --> 3 --> 4 --5>) on the throttle is much much faster than going down the box on the throttle. (5 --> 4 --> 3) because the default behaviour is to always be ready for the next highest gear when carrying any throttle or the next lowest gear when off throttle.

So that might be the 'drop in power' feeling...
    Last edited by minke; 21-12-2020 at 08:06 PM.