Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dashcam Mk7.5

Dashcam Mk7.5

Hi Has anyone installed a dashcam into their MK7.5 where it is integrated with the fuse panel - Ie it runs 24/7 but self cuts if battery drops too low?

Dealer is offering to install BlackVue front/rear integrated with the ECU (as they put it but I know it is just drawing power from somewhere like the fuse panel ) THey quoted $1700 which again I know is crazily over the odds.

I know that I can buy a unit for $400-$550 but wonder if it is even worth the effort?

Any thoughts on make/model / installer?

Hi,

I have got them and install them over a weekend. Could be a couple of hours work if you know what you are doing. They are easy enough to install yourself provided if you have a multimeter and tools to pry open plastic trims. I assume they quoted you Blackvue’s power magic pack? Btw, I have found that setting the low voltage cutoff to 12v only allows roughly 2 mins recording time during parking mode. Have set to 11.8v since and could last for a day or two before cutoff.

Depends where you are, might be cheaper to get it done from outside.
    It is a DIY thing if you are game enough. Some prefer to just power with a USB power bank as 95% don't actually need 24/7 without having the car being driven in between which recharges the power bank.

The blackVue 750 is a good option for those wanting to spend, find the thread on Whirlpool has good official support there from one of the guys.

The Viofo 129 with GPS is a more cost effective one with excellent return for the dollar value. It is currently Ozbargain fav and has v good reviews over all.

I personally think the dealer is charging too much.

Users Country Flag
    Go and buy them at Autobarn and get them to fit them The two above are good choices and are at the two points of the price chart

If you want ti to run in parkin mode (Which I think isnt worth it) you need for the Blackvue a Power Magic which does exactly what you want. About 90 mins should be enough to install one and a bit more if you arent familiar with doing them your self

A 2ch 750 is under $700 and Autobarn would probably charge under $250 to install them PM is about $59.

Dealer is insane and would only get someone in to do it and pad it out for themselves.

Took me about two hours to hardwire separate cameras in my new Tiguan which is basically a Golf in a bigger coat
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 05-05-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I spent a good part of a day installing a F770D thinkware twin camera wi fi set up in my GTI original, main issue was getting the loom through to the rear camera past the side airbags and in under the hood lining. PITA. if you locate the fuse box behind the glove box you will find several fuse holders with only 1 connector. I selected a constant power and ignition power, fitted std fuses and ran the loom up the LH pillar across to the mirror base into the unit Which I mounted at the base. all up cost me a day and $550 but well worth it

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tw586 View Post
    I spent a good part of a day installing a F770D thinkware twin camera wi fi set up in my GTI original, main issue was getting the loom through to the rear camera past the side airbags and in under the hood lining. PITA. if you locate the fuse box behind the glove box you will find several fuse holders with only 1 connector. I selected a constant power and ignition power, fitted std fuses and ran the loom up the LH pillar across to the mirror base into the unit Which I mounted at the base. all up cost me a day and $550 but well worth it
    I solved that problem by running the cable along under the edge trims on the carpet and into the rear quarter and up to the flexi joint and into the taildoor that way. Wouldnt touch the roof trims as they have been known to fall down at times.
    Yes there are spare fuse holders and you just meter them out remembering that some of the ACC ones are on a delay circuit and dont go off straight away.

I wish I could have done it that way but the 2 doors originals forced me to go over the top

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by tw586 View Post
    I wish I could have done it that way but the 2 doors originals forced me to go over the top
    ??????????????????????????

You just run it down the footwell trim and tuck it under the edge of the doorsill inner trim. Have done it on several cars like that

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    ??????????????????????????

You just run it down the footwell trim and tuck it under the edge of the doorsill inner trim. Have done it on several cars like that
    Yep easy as .
    GTI clubsport/edition 40 manual white 2016

Mercedes Benz A200 AMG pack red 2016

2 door is very hard as it requires the removal of the rear seat and b and c pillar trims as well as the inner 1/4 panel to get to the loom tray on the passenger side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast