Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dashcam Mk7.5

I struggle with getting a cam. If anything I'd only get a front cam. cannot see the point of a rear especially with tinted glass?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by minke View Post
    I struggle with getting a cam. If anything I'd only get a front cam. cannot see the point of a rear especially with tinted glass?
    Works fine in the TIg if somewhat green because of the privacy glass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dashcam Mk7.5-vlcsnap-2020-05-06-20h54m42s496-jpg  
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 06-05-2020 at 08:57 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    I put the RVC into a two door cab through the floor (as the only option), which wasn't too bad.

The dash cam is only powered when the car is on and I've never considered the parking mode, at the moment I have a dual USB power adaptor hard wired in under the centre console which provides power to the phone dock and the dash cam. It would be a pretty easy addition for a battery saver module and something that might be worthwhile if you're driving to and from work and/or the train station.

I never considered a powerbank, but that's a pretty ingenious solution! (as long as it can remain charged enough).

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    I never considered a powerbank, but that's a pretty ingenious solution! (as long as it can remain charged enough).
    The new ones take a type C input for charging and display remaining battery very well. If too pedantic you can just replace.

@The Hawk, could you link up a few pics of ur setup of USB connectors

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    @The Hawk, could you link up a few pics of ur setup of USB connectors
    Sadly no I don't have pictures of this install, it was done a very long time ago now and it's all hidden away under the dash.

In the olden days of early mobile phones and car chargers, a trick I learnt when putting hard wired docks into cars was to use the 12V lighter socket for power. If you piggy backed one of these bay boys off the stock lighter and hid it away under the dash, you kept the functionality of the OEM lighter (if you wanted it), had switched power and kept the factory look and the ability to add additional 12V accessories on the fly. Using this also meant if/when you updated your phone and needed a new charger (or when the one you just installed failed) you just pulled the trim panel off, unplugged the old charger and plugged in a new one.
    You don't even need to fuse the extra socket (although it's probably worth doing) and it's designed to put out enough power that running a couple of USB ports (even when using a lighter in older cars) works without issue.

When I installed mine I just used something like this with a little electrical tape to make sure it wouldn't pop out of the socket. This provided two USB ports, one for my phone dock and one for my camera.

I had done a similar thing in the Multivan as well and can tell you than in 10 years, both have failed once and needed replacement which was as simple as unplugging and plugging in a new one.

These days I might consider something more like this, then all you need to do is tap the 12V socket with a couple of wires with spade connectors and a little heatshrink.

Narva |
    Heavy-Duty Dual USB Socket
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 11-05-2020 at 09:58 AM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag

I do mine like this Use the addafuse to a ciggy socket and just plug the original camera plug into it and tape them together. That way you can have a 12v or a 5 v camera no worries as the plugs on the cameras have a stepdown in them if 5 v. All tucks in behind the dash out of sight

Here is a very good tutorial on how to fit a camers in a MK7 GOlf

Dash Cam Install Tutorial – Volkswagen MK7 Golf – AutoInstruct
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dashcam Mk7.5-addafuse-correct-jpg   Dashcam Mk7.5-cigarette-lighter-inline-socketimagemain-300-jpg  

Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-05-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12