Thread: Composition Media Unit Upgrade

Users Country Flag

Composition Media Unit Upgrade

I want to upgrade my original 5.8 screen (MY14 Comfortline), to the OEM higher resolution 6.5 infotainment system with App Connect - found in 92tsi/Trendline Mk7. Has anyone done this?

Not looking at the Discover Media system with in-built sat nav, and my Golf doesn’t have the shark fin antenna.

After researching, I understand the glovebox main unit, USB and AUX ports will need to be upgraded. Anything else I’m missing?

If doable I plan to source and code/fit at local VW dealership.

Could anyone confirm if the stereo surround/aircon vent panel trim is the same size between the 5.8 and 6.5? I couldn’t find an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by edward View Post
    I want to upgrade my original 5.8 screen (MY14 Comfortline), to the OEM higher resolution 6.5 infotainment system with App Connect - found in 92tsi/Trendline Mk7. Has anyone done this?

Not looking at the Discover Media system with in-built sat nav, and my Golf doesn’t have the shark fin antenna.

After researching, I understand the glovebox main unit, USB and AUX ports will need to be upgraded. Anything else I’m missing?

If doable I plan to source and code/fit at local VW dealership.

Could anyone confirm if the stereo surround/aircon vent panel trim is the same size between the 5.8 and 6.5? I couldn’t find an answer.
    Hi edward,

I done the upgrade but went straight to the MIB 2 with GPS and Carplay/Android Auto. My car doesn’t have the shark fin antenna and still able to retrofit.

I got my unit (6.5” screen and the glovebox unit) out of eBay and needed remove the component protection and activate the features to be able to use Carplay, also lot of coding to integrate the new functionalities to make sure that everything works fine.

For the GPS antenna you don’t need to retrofit the shark fine one, just buy one of the ebay and find a place inside the dash to place in. Went this way and my one works fine, normally I get 85-90% satellite.

The USB port will need to be upgraded to be able to use Carplay/Android Auto.

And yes, I confirm that they use the same surround trim between them. Only the 8.5”is different.

Btw, I don’t think the dealer will be able to help you out unfortunately.
    Golf Wagon MK7 (90 92TSI) - Mods: 110TSI Turbo upgrade, ECU and TCU Stage 2, Eibach Pro-Kit, Pretoria 19", GTI PP Sway bars upgrade F/R, Full GTI Tartan interior, GTI colour Cluster, R's Bi-Xenon with AFS retrofit, GTI 312mm front brake upgrade.
    More to come...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for your response Gutoneto.

Moving on, I have sourced a non sat-nav MIB2 head unit and 6.5” touchscreen from wreckers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutoneto View Post
    The USB port will need to be upgraded to be able to use Carplay/Android Auto.
    I bought part 5G0 035 222 E with the green connector. Do I need to replace my existing wire harness?

Is there anything else I need to supply? And who/where can do the coding?

Users Country Flag

Edward: Hi.

If you retrofit OEM replacement equipment (that hasn't been hacked) into the car - you will most definitely confront Component Protection (CP) errors in the hex5F and Hex19 modules after the first ignition switch-on cycle. CP errors will have the effect of severely limiting the operation of the MIB (usually, no, or very limited sound)

Unfortunately, only dealers can remove CP errors officially - because the process requires remote access to VW's central database (it's called FAZIT)

As for your coding question - it's prudent to get a complete record of the long-code string and the FULL adaptation channel database from the old MiB before it's removed. You can use a device like VCDS, or OBD11, or VCP for this purpose (probably better to use the forum to find someone who lives close and has a diagnostic device). You will need to compare these "old' coding values with the settings in the new equipment and make the necessary alignments

However, if this was my car - I would find a dealer that is prepared to remove the CP errors first. The dealer might have certain restrictions about clearing CP errors without being involved in the retrofit.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 12-07-2021 at 07:12 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.