Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coding new battery?

Users Country Flag

I always got 4 years from factory batteries. i have owned a Golf Mk3 and Mk6. But on my golf r only 2 years. I think battery life is affected by the start-stop system.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    They dont make the batteries though They buy them in usually from Bosch
    I can’t remember ever seeing BOSCH battery in VAG car. Plenty of Vartas and some Exide batteries lately can be seen under the bonnet.

My 7 is now 5 year and five months since it's build and the original battery is still in place, showing a 70% SOC. Admittedly most of the 80,000km have been long distance driving.

Howdy guys, (from Sydney)

I've also recently put in a new battery for my Golf R (2015).

It is a ecoFORCE FIAMM
    VR 760
    L3 12V 70Ah EN 725A SAE
    START STOP
    AGM Technology

A few days after installing it i started getting all these errors,

Engine rev 4000rpm
    Start Stop
    EPC

I got the 3rd party mechanic to scan with his computer to delete the faults than it was ok.
    Now few days later again im getting the Engine rev 4000rpm error with the Start Stop.

The actual Start Stop function does not work.

The mechanic says to update the software? And he wants the car for 1 or 2 days.

Does it take this long? I'm a little hesitant as he gave me many dubious excuses for the error warnings, it was me who actually researched online suggesting to him to perform a scan.

Does anyone know of anyone who can resolve my battery issue in Sydney?

Cheers.
    Last edited by Simon134; 16-11-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Like my last BMW, German manufacturers seemed to have formed a cartel to end home maintenance and ensure every punter but the most determined (like us?) give up and go to the factory dealer. It’s part of the franchise system. Sell our cars with low margins and we will keep sending customers back to you... I don’t remember a matched battery lasting any longer on a car than on an old Toyota.
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

Users Country Flag
    @davidorama: I understand your point entirely and I most definitely am NOT an apologist for any of VAG's practices - but on this issue, there is a degree of justification for the procedure - I think.

The good-old-days of the Toyota were much simpler because likely there was largely only one choice of battery type (i.e. the bog-standard, flooded-cell type). These days however, battery technology has become much more complex and there are now many more manufacturing types - like Sealed, VRLA, AGM, EFB, GEL and probably more that I have missed.

So, car manufactures have wider choice these days and car owners are able to mix-and-match replacement batteries depending on their budgets and/or their preferences (and/or their prejudices, more likely).

That said, I've no doubt that the fact that the new procedure also means greater revenue for Dealers is not an unintended consequence for the car maker

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 18-12-2020 at 01:26 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag

I just had my battery replace under warranty because it stopped holding a charge after just 26 months
    1993 Golf GTI MarkII|5door|Manual|Black|Auto sunroof|Sports Exhaust|Tint|
    2010 Golf VI STI|7SP DSG|Reflex silver|5 Door|Park Assist/Auto Park|ACC| 2014 Golf VII GTI Performance|6SP DSG|Night Blue Metallic|Driver Assistance pack|Vienna Leather|Tint. 2015 Golf R 6SP DSG, Sunroof, driver Assist, REVO stage1 programing. 2017 Golf R 7.5 MY18, DSG Driver Assist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12