Thread: Check oil warning fault? Alltrack 132tsi

Check oil warning fault? Alltrack 132tsi

Driving yesterday and the check oil warning message appeared. Got home, checked the oil level after it cooled down, and it was basically dead centre in the safe zone. So there’s no excessive oil burning occurring, no leaks, and I replaced the oil and filter about 10 months back. Service due in December. 107k on the odometer.

Is this likely to be a sensor fault or is there something more sinister at play?

The 1.8tsi in this model hasn’t got any known issues as far as I’m aware?

I’ve experienced the dreaded cylinder ring fault in a previous Skoda Octavia 1.8tsi which eventually killed my engine, so I’m especially wary of any issues relating to oil consumption.

Any advice welcome.

Users Country Flag
    Was that an amber light or did it specifically state oil level? The sensor could be bad as a first place to go

It specially flashed up the warning report, not the oil light. The message was “Check oil level!”

Users Country Flag
    @Taxman: Hi.

Of course anything is possible -but the problem in this instance appears to be that you are NOT accessing the correct information to diagnose this fault (please don't take offense - because none is intended)!!

Whenever a message like "Check oil level" appears on the dash, the control module in the car that initiated the message also stores details about the error in its internal fault memory.

Dash error messages are intended to highlight a potential problem to the driver -whereas module fault data is intended to guide a mechanic in the diagnostic process to analyze the fault

So- the module's fault records generally are more detailed and they can often provide better and more instructive information about the fault than the dash-error message.

It's likely therefore that the car's own self-recorded fault information contains the diagnostic information needed to understand this problem. The only issue is accessing this data - which requires a diagnostic cable like VCDS, or OBDeleven. I assume that you do not own such a device!

Fortunately, this forum has a "pimping-service" that unites consenting members that own diagnostic devices with those that need help to extract fault information - see HERE (if you are prepared to venture into the wild and untamed north-eastern Melbourne suburbs, send me a PM)

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 04-09-2023 at 08:49 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    @Taxman: Hi.

Of course anything is possible -but the problem in this instance appears to be that you are NOT accessing the correct information to…

Don
    Thanks a million for the detailed reply and offer of diagnostic help, Don.

And no offence taken, I’m not across the details around these methods.

I’m actually in Qld, so may have to just hit up a mechanic around here. In a nutshell, it sounds like it’s all just speculation until the module unit messages are accessed.

Users Country Flag
    @Taxman: My offer to help was predicated on the entry on the upper left-side of your posts. It says in Location "Melbourne"

I suspect that you probably intended this entry to be aspirational, rather than your actual location - lots of folk in Queensland wish to move to Melbourne -not!!

Maybe consider changing your details to somewhere further North?

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    @Taxman: My offer to help was predicated on the entry on the upper left-side of your posts. It says in Location "Melbourne"
    Ex-Melbourne actually! Time to update my location. Cheers