Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't reset "Service Now!" message

Can't reset "Service Now!" message

Hi

I have browsed the forums here and also watched many Youtube videos and posts in other sites (as well followed the steps in my car's manual) and still can't get this damn warning to stop after servicing my car (done by me).

I have carefully followed the "push the trip meter" button routine plus a few other variations...the message changes to say its reset as the process states, and then after a second or two, immediately demands Service Now!

I see that the service interval for the oil change has been reset to 15000km and 365 days, but the other service type is still showing as overdue.

I'm tearing out what little hair I have left and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Barry
    2013 Golf Mk7 1.4l

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by barryco View Post
    Hi

I have browsed the forums here and also watched many Youtube videos and posts in other sites (as well followed the steps in my car's manual) and still can't get this damn warning to stop after servicing my car (done by me).

I have carefully followed the "push the trip meter" button routine plus a few other variations...the message changes to say its reset as the process states, and then after a second or two, immediately demands Service Now!

I see that the service interval for the oil change has been reset to 15000km and 365 days, but the other service type is still showing as overdue.

I'm tearing out what little hair I have left and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Barry
    2013 Golf Mk7 1.4l
    Can be done with an OBDEleven in 30 secs. If you want it set to a lesser time like 11months from now need to go to a dealer. I had to after they didnt reset it correctly at service

Maybe its due for a full service and you have only done an oil change service. Dont know how it knows but seems they do
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Buy a Carista device and you can reset the service now warning in no time at all. Carista OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner and Customiser for Android and iOS – AutoInstruct

Note you will need a smartphone. Access to basic items like resetting the service message is free, but more in depth changes (eg disabling the start/stop, resetting the electronic parking brake to allow brake pads to be changed, or other coding changes etc) you must sign up for a subscription service which is approx $70AUD per year.

I have the Carista and its great, I use it on my Mk7 GTI.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Thanks for the advice....just so I'm sure, are you guys saying that's the ONLY way to reset?

Users Country Flag
    It depends on how you want it to be when reset. Mine came up 4 months early because it was set to build date and not reset in presale check,

Yes it would reset but 365 days from when i did it which is not what I wanted.

I have an OBDEleven and it does the same Resets it to 365 days from now

To get it changed to 14 March which was delivery date I had to take it to a dealer who used the ODIS program to ALTER the date to Mar 14

No other way I know of

The Carista is only $46 and worth the expense to turn it off so I'll just get one of those.

Thanks again for the advice.

Users Country Flag
    Dealer reset mine to the correct date for free

Users Country Flag
    ^^^ hmm............ not sure that it's correct to say that the car needs to be taken to the dealer to re-set any aspect of the servicing regime on a mk7.

Fact is that at least for the aspects of car servicing related to distance traveled and elapsed time since last service -ALL of the numbers are accessible to anyone with a diagnostic device that can access adaptation channels in the hex17 module.

The underlying principles for the way that servicing is managed on early model mk7s is like this:

There are 2 x servicing types:

• ESI - this means "Extended Servicing Interval" and it applies if the car has extra measuring equipment that enables the vehicle to calculate a variable service interval based on the car's actual usage. It's possible to switch-on ESI, but the proper calculation needs a car with the PR number “QG1“. The PR number is on the vehicle data carrier.
    • FIX - most cars use this facility; the service interval is based on the distance traveled and the time period set by values in the adaptation channels in module hex17 (read below).

For "FIX", there are 3 x parameters for each of the time period and distance traveled like this:

• Time/Distance traveled since last inspection - self explanatory, the number is increased automatically by the car, or it can be set separately by the user
    • Maximum Time/Distance until next inspection - this sets a predetermined service interval and generally in Australia the factory values are 365 days and/or 1,500 kms
    • Reset value for next Time/Distance-dependent inspection- this facility automatically resets the number in the Time/Distance traveled since last inspection if this is not done by the servicing agent. On most early model mk7's, the factory values used were twice the values in Maximum Time/Distance until next inspection. Note: resetting the value in Time/Distance traveled since last inspection does NOT reset the alarm message that appears on the dash (this is done via a separate adaptation channel)

So - there ain't nothing special about changing any aspect of these channels; it certainly isn't a matter that needs ODIS, or a visit to the dealer

Finally, just to round-off the discussion, here are the factory values for the FIX channels from a MY15 mk7 (from VCDS):

IDE03349-FIX: Max. distance until next mileage-related inspection 15000 km
    IDE03350-FIX: Maximum time until next time-dependent inspection 365 d
    IDE03351-FIX: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection 7000 km
    IDE03352-FIX: Time since last time-dependent inspection 321 d

On later MQB platform vehicles, these channels have been deleted:
    IDE05931-FIX: Reset value for next mileage-dependent inspection 30000 km
    IDE05932-FIX: Reset value for next time-dependent inspections 730 d

And here is a screen-shot of the same channels from a mk7 using OBD11:

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 04-12-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks for that but what do those who havent got either VCDS or OBDII do apart from the dealer.. Also that would apply to any future services so if you set it to 300 days it would come up early.

What I have been talking about is getting it changed to a certain date so that in future it will come up annually on that date. It seems to have worked as it hasnt come up this year like it did last year.

Unless in your OBDII shot if you change distance from last one does it bring it right forever or just the next one.

Users Country Flag

@Hillbilly: OK - if you say so!!

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast