Support VWWC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't reset "Service Now!" message

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    @Hillbilly: OK - if you say so!!

Don
    No Im asking if what I presume is correct and could you explain how to set it in OBDII if as in my case it had done xxxx amount of K's and then it comes up months early, so that it comes correct permanently
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    No Im asking if what I presume is correct and could you explain how to set it in OBDII if as in my case it had done xxxx amount of K's and then it comes up months early, so that it comes correct permanently
    OK
    Thanks for that but what do those who havent got either VCDS or OBDII do apart from the dealer..
    hmm...........Obviously, for "those who haven't got either VCDS, or OBD11" the option that i describe can't be used - because accessing the option needs VCDS, or OBD11.
    What do these folk do "apart from the dealer"? They have the following alternatives:
    1. Buy a diagnostic cable and make the changes that I describe themselves (particularly pertinent if the owner intends to service their own vehicle in the future)
    2. Contact a near-by forum member who has a diagnostic cable to make the changes (the forum has a contact facility for this purpose

Also that would apply to any future services so if you set it to 300 days it would come up early.
    Don't understand your question!! I'm sure that you know exactly the situation in the case above, but this requires a more fulsome explanation if I am to respond in a meaningful manner. Please explain.
    What I have been talking about is getting it changed to a certain date so that in future it will come up annually on that date. It seems to have worked as it hasnt come up this year like it did last year.
    Again, there ain't nothing special about the arrangement that you describe; it certainly doesn't need a dealer visit (ODIS).
    Think about how to use Time since last time-dependent inspection channel. If you want the service date to happen annually on a future date which happens in X days in the future, you simply need to do the following simple calculation
    365 - X = Y
    Then enter Y into the Time since last time-dependent inspection channel. So what will happen is that the counter in this channel will increase daily for X days until it reaches 365. This will initiate the service over-due warning!

This date will be the anniversary of every future service date accordingly:
    1. If you service the vehicle on this date, reset the channel value to zero.
    2. If you delay the service date in the future and if you want exactly the same service date - simply make the same calculation as above.

The dealer doesn't have any other way of doing this!

Unless in your OBDII shot if you change distance from last one does it bring it right forever or just the next one.
    If you set the Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection channel to zero after every service, it will be the same travel distance for every future service
    Last edited by DV52; 13-12-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Thanks

I have had a think about what the dealer did and remember now that he took the number of days from the day I was there to the day I wanted it serviced.. Did it wrong the first time and redid it correctly.

Was caused by tech who did the service apparently doing something wrong when he reset it and it didnt do it properly.

I didnt know about that module at the time so wasnt aware I could have done it

Users Country Flag
    Found this on Youtube. Volkswagen Golf MK7 reset inspection & oil service reminders - YouTube Haven't tried it but seems easy to do without tools and VCDS.

Cheers

Throwing in my 2 cents: I did this just yesterday with the trip reset method on my 2019 7.5 R.

1. With everything off hold the trip reset down
    2. Start button without foot in brake to wake the system
    3. Oil change reset came up first, let go of trip reset button. This worked instantly.
    4. Start from 1 again but this time service reset came up instead if oil reset, let go of trip reset button to confirm service reset

I had to do the service reset twice before the reminder and ping disappeared, which means going through the oil reset again as it seemed to alternate. And I can’t recall if there was an extra “are you sure?” confirmation on the service reset, if so I “okayed” it with a press of the trip reset button — I did not use the ok on the steering wheel at any point.

No more ping for 24 hours. Some report the reminder coming back after a few days so I’ll report back if I experience this.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update: it’s been 5 days and the message hasn’t come back. Can't reset "Service Now!" message

Users Country Flag
    Not sure where everyone is at with the service reset and oil change reset, but I'm stuck with a permanent "Oil Change Now!" message on the dashboard. I cannot reset it either by the (tripmeter) method described in the Owner's manual or by the OBDeleven dongle that I purchased to help me maintain the vehicle. OBDeleven has an app to reset this function... tried it 3 times, does not work for me.
    I have also tried every possible permutation of the tripmeter method and have ultimately only succeeded in resetting the tripmeter to 0.0

I have been living with this quirk for the last 2 oil changes - surely somebody else on this site has a simple solution.
    I’ve been maintaining and repairing my own cars and motorbikes for nearly 50 years. So you can imagine that I am more than a bit frustrated to know I’ve completed a service, changed the oil & filter, etc. and yet I am defeated by a dashboard notification that won’t go away.

By the way, the OBDeleven dongle is also a bit frustrating to use because it relies on an internet connection via Bluetooth to your smart phone and it is sloooowww to scan. Also, for prospective buyers of this device, the user manual is next to useless. The device seems to be more suited to those that wish to customise the controls in their vehicle and/or have previous experience with OBD devices. Maybe it’s just me having no hands-on experience with OBD – kinda wish there was an introductory guidebook for newbies to OBD. On the plus side, I did use the dongle app to disable the Stop-Start system, which appears to be a battery-killer. I bought a new battery $$$$ and will install it when the voltage on the original one drops too low.
    Incidentally, checked my brakes as part of the latest 90,000km service and at the rate I'm going the fronts have at least another 25,000 left, while rear wear is negligible - granted, I do a good deal of country driving. So, judging on what I read from others, brake wear can vary substantially. Sick of cleaning that black **** off the front wheels but.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddiecobbler View Post
    Not sure where everyone is at with the service reset and oil change reset, but I'm stuck with a permanent "Oil Change Now!" message on the dashboard. I cannot reset it either by the (tripmeter) method described in the Owner's manual or by the OBDeleven dongle that I purchased to help me maintain the vehicle. OBDeleven has an app to reset this function... tried it 3 times, does not work for me.
    I have also tried every possible permutation of the tripmeter method and have ultimately only succeeded in resetting the tripmeter to 0.0

I have been living with this quirk for the last 2 oil changes - surely somebody else on this site has a simple solution.
    I’ve been maintaining and repairing my own cars and motorbikes for nearly 50 years. So you can imagine that I am more than a bit frustrated to know I’ve completed a service, changed the oil & filter, etc. and yet I am defeated by a dashboard notification that won’t go away.

By the way, the OBDeleven dongle is also a bit frustrating to use because it relies on an internet connection via Bluetooth to your smart phone and it is sloooowww to scan. Also, for prospective buyers of this device, the user manual is next to useless. The device seems to be more suited to those that wish to customise the controls in their vehicle and/or have previous experience with OBD devices. Maybe it’s just me having no hands-on experience with OBD – kinda wish there was an introductory guidebook for newbies to OBD. On the plus side, I did use the dongle app to disable the Stop-Start system, which appears to be a battery-killer. I bought a new battery $$$$ and will install it when the voltage on the original one drops too low.
    Incidentally, checked my brakes as part of the latest 90,000km service and at the rate I'm going the fronts have at least another 25,000 left, while rear wear is negligible - granted, I do a good deal of country driving. So, judging on what I read from others, brake wear can vary substantially. Sick of cleaning that black **** off the front wheels but.
    Take it to the dealer and ask nicely and they can set it to the date you want. Mine was set to 12 months from build date (Nov) but I bought the car mid April. I got them to reset it to 14th April took about 10 mins with their ODIS laptop and dongle

If the OBDII isnt giving you the accepted message Clear the cache in your smartphone as that sometimes causes problems. I have had it do that and some others have as well.

Personally with having a new vehicle I prefer to have a licenced mechanic do my services as it keeps the warranty alive, which with a VW is necessary to have. I too have worked on my vehicles for 63 years but dont any more for prev reasons

A close relationship with your dealer can payoff bigtime if needed
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-02-2021 at 05:39 PM.

Users Country Flag

I've just had the 45K service completed on our 2019 Amarok Higline by a local automotive repairer. (First time I've had the Amarok serviced since buying it back in Jan 21). We managed to reset the 'Oil Change' by following instructions in Owners Manual, but we were unable to reset the 'Inspect Now' msg.

After a bit of web surfing I found the answer on a South Africa forum. Its so simple.

'Inspect Now' Reset

1. Enter car and close door
    2.Turn ON Hazard Flashers
    3. Press and Hold Tripmeter Reset button
    4. Turn ON Ignition
    5. When 'Service Reset Msg' appears, press OK. (My Amarok has steering wheel controls so I used that OK button)
    6. 'Inspect Now' & 'Oil Change' dates and kilometres now reset.
    6. Check Service Msg and it should now reflect new service dates.

Process completed, until next service
    2019 Amarok Highline with EGR Canopy, ARB Bullbar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12