Hi everyone,

I'm looking at a petrol Mk7 Golf Alltrack or Octavia Scout to replace my Outback 3.0R. I want better fuel economy around town, more low end torque and newer tech in a ~5yr old car, all else being roughly equal.

The majority I'm looking at have done low 100K kilometres, there are a few outliers that have done close to and exceeding 200K, which start to look like bargains at around 20% less than the median price, they seem to have the extras I want too.

Obviously the major factor is how and where they're driven with preference given to long runs, but to those experienced with the 132TSI petrol / 6 speed DSG / Haldex 5 / MQB platforms, is buying a high mileage example for the potential saving a really dumb idea?

Could I expect to put another 70K on a car that had done 220K for example without major problems? I don't really care about interior wear and tear but curious about reliability of driveline and tech/driver aids.

In the subie I did 4 wheel bearings, rear suspension bushings, radiator and rocker cover gaskets at or around 200K which got painful.

I know the DSG needs fluids every 60K km, what other major jobs would you expect to have been done by this stage, and what would be getting close?

Thanks so much for your insights. I haven't owned a VW since a new Caddy in 2012 so any experience / help appreciated.

Cheers, Rick