Support VWWC

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Burger Motorsports JB1 Tuning Module + Cable

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Impressions on the Michelin PSS + JB1 (Map1) at full throttle from a dig:

With traction control on
    Significantly less wheel hopping but lights still flashing on the dash.

With traction control off
    No wheel hopping whatsoever. Car launches with minimal wheel spin and torque steer.

All in all, I'm very happy with the PSS. It's money well spent!

Btw, something very strange happened to my car today. I was doing about 70km/hr (in Eco mode), using the paddles on my steering, I downshifted to 2nd to enter a 90 degree corner. The car lost power momentarily for about 5 seconds before it came back to live. I stomped on the accelerator - no response??? It feels as though the car stalled or something??

Anyone experienced the same thing or know the reason behind this?
    VW MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | White | DSG | JB1 | Advan Racing RS-DF | Michelin PSS | Current
    PORSCHE 987.2 Boxster | Silver | PDK | Capristo Exhaust | BMC Filter | OZ Racing Alleggerita | Hankook R-S3 | Current
    VW MK6 Golf R | Blue | DSG | GIAC Stage 1 | Sold
    VW MK4 Golf GTI | Red | 5 Spd | MTM Stage 5 | Sold

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by urxtream View Post
    Impressions on the Michelin PSS + JB1 (Map1) at full throttle from a dig:

With traction control on
    Significantly less wheel hopping but lights still flashing on the dash.

With traction control off
    No wheel hopping whatsoever. Car launches with minimal wheel spin and torque steer.

All in all, I'm very happy with the PSS. It's money well spent!

Btw, something very strange happened to my car today. I was doing about 70km/hr (in Eco mode), using the paddles on my steering, I downshifted to 2nd to enter a 90 degree corner. The car lost power momentarily for about 5 seconds before it came back to live. I stomped on the accelerator - no response??? It feels as though the car stalled or something??

Anyone experienced the same thing or know the reason behind this?
    Nice, I'm changing mine next spring although not sure If I have to sacrifice a fraction of MPSS performance for some gain in the wet with F1 Asymmetric or SportContact 6 as the car is our family driver as well.

Re the incident I think it's a DSG brain fart. Something like that had happened in my first week with the car although not as long as 5 sec, was 2 sec at most. It was at a moment where I manually down-shifted while I was in Auto (D) and felt like the car couldn't decide what gear it should be in. Hasn't happened ever since. Question: why were you in Eco? Car feels terrible in that mode! I've found it can be surprisingly economical with pro-active driving without needing to leave from "Individual" mode.

Interestingly, I had a couple of similar incidents with my last car which was a DSG7, again during the first month only and they never came back during the next 6 years of ownership.

Users Country Flag
    Had my DSG TCU upgrade at Harding the other day first impressions are good smooth fast changes in normal and much less manic in sport, will need to drive a bit more for full workout but first impressions are good, will move the JB1 back to map 1 5.0 currently 4.8. I had noticed the DSG slipped a handful of times previously on 5.0 in high load uphill half throttle applications where the DSG was going up gears and the torque was to much. Also noticed Harding have the Racingline turbo input pipe and alloy 90 degree inlet apparently good for 30 bhp might try that next now waiting on the JB4.
    Last edited by rosslm; 08-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R Wolfsburg | Oryx White | DSG / 2021 MY21 T-Cross Style | S+V Package | Limestone Grey

Users Country Flag
    Now that it's getting hotter in QLD, my mind has returned to an intercooler upgrade as the next step for my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by LibraR View Post
    Still worth it at the regular price... Definitely!
    I'm sure it is just hate missing a discount
    2016 Octavia RS dsg, Race blue with all the fruit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo View Post
    Nice, I'm changing mine next spring although not sure If I have to sacrifice a fraction of MPSS performance for some gain in the wet with F1 Asymmetric or SportContact 6 as the car is our family driver as well.

Re the incident I think it's a DSG brain fart. Something like that had happened in my first week with the car although not as long as 5 sec, was 2 sec at most. It was at a moment where I manually down-shifted while I was in Auto (D) and felt like the car couldn't decide what gear it should be in. Hasn't happened ever since. Question: why were you in Eco? Car feels terrible in that mode! I've found it can be surprisingly economical with pro-active driving without needing to leave from "Individual" mode.

Interestingly, I had a couple of similar incidents with my last car which was a DSG7, again during the first month only and they never came back during the next 6 years of ownership.
    Thanks for replying Ringo, I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing "brain farts". I was in eco mode coz the missus was in the car. I have a heavy right foot, just in case I accidentally get excited and floor the pedal, the car won't react as quickly as if I was in normal or sport mode. I have since changed my mode to individual with custom settings.
    VW MK7 Golf GTI 40 Years | White | DSG | JB1 | Advan Racing RS-DF | Michelin PSS | Current
    PORSCHE 987.2 Boxster | Silver | PDK | Capristo Exhaust | BMC Filter | OZ Racing Alleggerita | Hankook R-S3 | Current
    VW MK6 Golf R | Blue | DSG | GIAC Stage 1 | Sold
    VW MK4 Golf GTI | Red | 5 Spd | MTM Stage 5 | Sold

Users Country Flag
    Question specific to Clubsport/ED40 owners running the JB1:

Soon after the JB1 installation I have noticed a slight vibration (metallic sound) kicking in at 2400 rpm and going away as soon as I go over 2600 rpm. It's happening at 1,2,3 gear and always between that small 200 rpm range. It's not loud and you'd need no music on to hear it and not going WOT as then the engine noise covers it. Seems to be somewhere from the engine bay and it definitely isn't the JB1 cables hitting anything, this is a very clear, metallic rattle. No lights, no affect on performance (to my understanding at least).

Since it's a new car I wanted to give it some time before going paranoid with all its bespoke sounds, noices etc. that I was just not used to before. I also can't be 100% the JB1 was on the first time I heard it or whether it went on the car after it.

I know it only makes sense to remove the JB1 and if it continues have the dealer take a look but being too busy lately I haven't had the time to go to a car lift (I used one for installing the unit on the car in the first place). I also get that this is probably a bit of a ghost-hunting, those little things that mostly go un-noticeable unless you look for them but anyway. Anyone caring of taking a closer hear during that rev range on theirs (normal throttle, less than 40% will suffice to provoke it) and report back will be appreciated. Also, it doesn't seem to make it when it's cold, more often when it's up to temp.

Will try to get a vid to be clear of what it sounds like.

Users Country Flag
    ^ probably the flex joint on the exhaust downpipe which is a common rattle on the Mk7 GTI and R.

2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ringo View Post
    Question specific to Clubsport/ED40 owners running the JB1:

Soon after the JB1 installation I have noticed a slight vibration (metallic sound) kicking in at 2400 rpm and going away as soon as I go over 2600 rpm. It's happening at 1,2,3 gear and always between that small 200 rpm range. It's not loud and you'd need no music on to hear it and not going WOT as then the engine noise covers it. Seems to be somewhere from the engine bay and it definitely isn't the JB1 cables hitting anything, this is a very clear, metallic rattle. No lights, no affect on performance (to my understanding at least).

Since it's a new car I wanted to give it some time before going paranoid with all its bespoke sounds, noices etc. that I was just not used to before. I also can't be 100% the JB1 was on the first time I heard it or whether it went on the car after it.

I know it only makes sense to remove the JB1 and if it continues have the dealer take a look but being too busy lately I haven't had the time to go to a car lift (I used one for installing the unit on the car in the first place). I also get that this is probably a bit of a ghost-hunting, those little things that mostly go un-noticeable unless you look for them but anyway. Anyone caring of taking a closer hear during that rev range on theirs (normal throttle, less than 40% will suffice to provoke it) and report back will be appreciated. Also, it doesn't seem to make it when it's cold, more often when it's up to temp.

Will try to get a vid to be clear of what it sounds like.
    Hey Ringo, don't have the JB1 but am experiencing the same sound, it isn't very loud and don't notice it most of the time and certainly doesn't have any effect on performance. Haven't noticed if it's when it's cold or hot. I think we all get a little OCD with little squeaks noises when their new. I struggle to drive for more than 10 minutes with the stereo on before I turn it off to listen to the sounds of the car, (motor, exhaust farts etc.) although my OCD is getting better I managed to drive the whole way home listening to music tonight. I'm just going to monitor it and see if it gets any worse.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Hey Ringo, don't have the JB1 but am experiencing the same sound, it isn't very loud and don't notice it most of the time and certainly doesn't have any effect on performance. Haven't noticed if it's when it's cold or hot. I think we all get a little OCD with little squeaks noises when their new. I struggle to drive for more than 10 minutes with the stereo on before I turn it off to listen to the sounds of the car, (motor, exhaust farts etc.) although my OCD is getting better I managed to drive the whole way home listening to music tonight. I'm just going to monitor it and see if it gets any worse.

My Golf R does it too and I think it's related to the turbo wastegate. It also only seems to happen when the car is cold and once the temps are north of 90C it seems to stop.

MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast