Thread: Boot flickering on and off

Users Country Flag

Boot flickering on and off

Hi all

Today I noticed an issue where the car keeps randomly thinking the boot is open as indicated in the driver information cluster. Also this causes the middle part of the rear lights to continuously flicker so it needs to be fixed ASAP.

I did install the Helix subwoofer over a week ago but I had not noticed any issues and I have done quite a bit of driving since then.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? Videos below

YouTube

YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    ^^^ bor123. Hi.

interesting how repetitive the fault is on your video. I assume that you like your music loud and that the fault was being modulated by the sub-woofer sound - maybe?

According to the mk7 wiring diagram - both the rear lid contact switches and the twin coils in the sub-woofer speakers terminate on what VW call THK which is described as Coupling point on rear lid. This is a 10 x pin connecting block.

There appear to be 2 x contact switches on the Rear lid locking unit - so I suggest that you check the connections on pins #2 and pin #7 (this 2nd switch is used for the anti-theft alarm) on THK. Hopefully the pin numbers are embossed on the coupling housing.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 05-06-2020 at 05:45 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks Don

Not familiar with the wiring diagram but I’ll have a look based on info you’ve provided

Actually I didn’t have any music playing when I took those videos. Volume would probably be around 30% if I was

This issue hasn’t reoccurred at all since Friday so fingers crossed that will be the end of it

Boot flickering on and off

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    ^^^ bor123. Hi.
    Hi Don,

This boot open issue has reoccurred maybe 4 times since my initial post and at least 3 of these occasions was when the glovebox was opened while driving. I found this thread with a similar issue:

Opening glove box causes boot open warning - VW Golf R MK7 Chat - VWROC - VW R Owners Club

Have you heard of this before out of interest?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bor1203 View Post
    Hi Don,

This boot open issue has reoccurred maybe 4 times since my initial post and at least 3 of these occasions was when the glovebox was opened while driving. I found this thread with a similar issue:

Opening glove box causes boot open warning - VW Golf R MK7 Chat - VWROC - VW R Owners Club

Have you heard of this before out of interest?

hmm...... I assume that reference in your link to "Courtesy Control Unit" (CCU) means Body Control Module in mk7 Golf speak. Both the glove-box light and the rear lid switch do terminate (ultimately) on the BCM. However, in your video the boot-lid open screen seems to pulse at regular intervals whereas in the link video, there seems to be a definite connection between opening the glove box and the image on the dash

But no, this is definitely a new one for me!! And, of course anything is possible!!

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.