Support VWWC

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: blindspot monitor buzzer addition

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by notaGolfR View Post
    Hi DV52. Your feedback is appreciated. As it happens, I sussed out LEDs at Jaycar this afternoon while waiting for feedback from this thread. The Jaycar dude offered if I'd like to see how bright it was, connected up a 12V battery & I believe my retina is still recovering.
    hmm......... Jaycar - my favorite shop!!

As I said, I suspect that "retina burning" LED illumination will probably be problematic in night-time conditions. This ciruit design might be useful - I suggest that you bread-board the arrangement before building because I've just guessed the resistor values. And be careful not to wind the 500 ohm resistor too far - LEDs are current devices (not voltage devices) and they have a limited ability to sustain too many amps before becoming a white smoke generator! Of course, if your Jaycar purchased LEDs have an inbuilt resistor - then delete my 500 ohm resistor.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 21-03-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Try setting them wider so you just miss seeing the rear quarter panel, it seems strange at first but you will get used to it.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yes. Lean over the centre console & ajust the passenger side to just overlap the nearest edge of the centre mirror. Lean your head on the driver-side window and adjust to just overlap the other edge of the centre mirror.
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag
    Yes. Lean over the centre console & ajust the passenger side to just overlap the nearest edge of the centre mirror. Lean your head on the driver-side window and adjust to just overlap the other edge of the centre mirror.
    If mirrors are adjusted correctly you shouldnt have to move your head other than to turn a bit to see them.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag
    Just having a read, and I was wondering that if you have Lane Keep Assist, you get haptic feedback through the wheel if there is a car in your blind spot, ie: the wheel vibrates and offers a little resistance to the lane change.
    Not sure if this still operates if you have LKA turned off as I just leave it on anyway.

Like most BS monitoring systems it can be a little pessimistic about the available room you have vs actually need to safely change lanes in peak hour on multi lane roads, but overall it’s OK.
    The Mazda system in my wife’s CX5 seems to think you need 3 car lengths clear before it stops beeping at you....

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Unfortunately, the LKA & haptic feedback only operates over a certain speed & I had a close shave below that speed. Bottom line is it was my bad but that's what got me going on this thread. Still my bad but thinking about it, the pessimistic issue may have applied.
    cars (chronological) Morris850, Morris Mini DeLuxe, Cooper S, Mazda 1500SS, hard times so some old Holden, old Falcon Ute, better times so second hand Lotus Elan +2 (6 weeks, hopelessly unreliable) Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, second hand Datsun 260Z + 2 auto, Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, Nissan 200SX turbo auto for 20 years(wonderful car burning ZERO oil after 200,000km & no problems when sold.. should have kept it), Toyota GTS 86 auto, now Golf R Mk 7.5 DSG built Aug2018, white.

Users Country Flag
    Unfortunately, the LKA & haptic feedback only operates over a certain speed & I had a close shave below that speed. Bottom line is it was my bad but that's what got me going on this thread. Still my bad but thinking about it, the pessimistic issue may have applied.
    Turn your head as you are supposed to and it wouldnt happen. No use relying on fancy lights.

I do a headcheck even when it seems there is nothing appearing in the mirrors
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Seems this thread has become more about telling someone why not to do it, rather than focusing on solutions to something someone may want (be it a hobby or a necessity).

I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the time to do this but here is my thoughts on a solution... But could an esp8266 device (or arduino or esp32) be used to measure the voltage of the indicator light in the mirror and also the voltage of the blind spot detection lamp. If both are high/on then make a speaker beep. It would beep in time with the indicator, although code could be added to simply say only beep once until there is a low for longer than 2 seconds.

Seems pretty straight forward, with the bigger challenge getting the cable into the cabin. The analog input would need a multiplexer to capture 4x analog inputs, but thats widely done.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteRepeat View Post
    Seems this thread has become more about telling someone why not to do it, rather than focusing on solutions to something someone may want (be it a hobby or a necessity).
    Pete: I agree - but the dynamic that you have observed on this thread is not unusual for community discussion forums: respondents have different objectives for replying - as is evident in their words !!

Quote Originally Posted by PeteRepeat View Post
    I'm not sure I'm willing to spend the time to do this but here is my thoughts on a solution... But could an esp8266 device (or arduino or esp32) be used to measure the voltage of the indicator light in the mirror and also the voltage of the blind spot detection lamp. If both are high/on then make a speaker beep. It would beep in time with the indicator, although code could be added to simply say only beep once until there is a low for longer than 2 seconds.

Seems pretty straight forward, with the bigger challenge getting the cable into the cabin. The analog input would need a multiplexer to capture 4x analog inputs, but that's widely done.
    Pete: interesting approach - digitize the solution - I like it!!

However, without intending any offense, whilst your proposal is "intriguing" from a technical perspective - it may be a tad complex (IMO)

Again, IMO - the better way forward may be to greatly simply the solution and to use this part of your design proposal:
    "If both are high/on then make a speaker beep"

Said in another way - what you are describing above is a simple AND gate with the inputs being the repeater turn-signal indicator in the mirror and the BS lamp, and the output being the buzzer.

As indicated in a previous post - a much simpler solution is use a mini relay wired as an AND gate. No need for Arduino/esp, no need for 5V supply, no need for multiplexer and no need for PCB. Just a single component is all that's required to manage the logic - perhaps something like a 12V SPST DIL Reed Relay cat no. SY4032 from JAYCAR @ $4.75, wired like this:

So -notwithstanding that a relay is an analogue device, in the circuit above it operates ostensibly as a digital AND gate: the buzzer will only operate if both the BS lamp AND the repeater LED in the mirror is illuminated. And, because the turn-signal LED is pulsed ON/OFF, the Buzzer will also be pulsed in unison.

Also - at least with the simple design above, I'm not sure that cabling needs to be brought into the cabin: depending on the native buzzer volume, the whole set-up can be placed inside the door cavity

And, if the driver want's - different sounding buzzers (with different operating frequencies) can be used for the left/right side

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 03-04-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post

As indicated in a previous post - a much simpler solution is use a mini relay wired as an AND gate. No need for Arduino/esp, no need for 5V supply, no need for multiplexer and no need for PCB. Just a single component is all that's required to manage the logic - perhaps something like a 12V SPST DIL Reed Relay cat no. SY4032 from JAYCAR @ $4.75, wired like this:

Don
    I like your suggestion for simplicity and most of the functions. All functions but sounding the buzzer only once, although I'm sure this could be done with a timer and scr or transistor with someone clever with electronics like yourself). Your solution would prove to be a more reliable and cheaper solution as well, not that I've found esp8266 to be unreliable or overly expensive but still. Your idea is definetly easier to install
    Last edited by PeteRepeat; 03-04-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast