Thread: Blind Spot Monitoring Sensor Module

Users Country Flag

Blind Spot Monitoring Sensor Module

Hey all, I have a 2018 MK7.5 Golf RLine

The blind spot monitoring has stopped working. I have tried turning it back on through the settings however it says, "function not available". From some research I think it could be the BSM sensor module...would this be right??

Any ideas how much it would cost to repair this? Either through a dealership or DIY (the car is now outside of warranty).

Users Country Flag
    @joey87: hmm...... given the scarcity of information provided, it's difficult to be precise as to cause. The primary part of BSM is the 2 x radars located in each rear quarter panel - but BSM is still reliant on other functions on the CAN bus.

Do the BSM warning lights on the wing mirrors illuminate briefly on ignition switch-on (it's a self test)?

My suggestion is to find a forum member that lives close and has a diagnostic cable - then get a scan report taken ofrom the car to identify the real problem. It can remove much of the guess work

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the quick response Don.

No...the mirrors don't illuminate when I switch the Golf on
    I did the same for my wife's Mazda and it did illuminate on ignition.

Hopefully VW are still open during lockdown haha

@DV52 Do you know if it's difficult to install a BSM module?
    I could take the rear panel off but is it easy as 'plug and play' with the new module? Do you think you would have to go through the calibration process?

Users Country Flag
    @joey87: I've not actually replaced one of these radars, but according to the repair manual for a MY15 golf - the actual physical install doesn't look difficult.

Personally, I never start replacing modules in a car unless I first do the necessary diagnostic work and the results point to a faulty module.

As I understand your case, there isn't a clear indication of a faulty module. Plus you have the problem of deciding which BSM module to replace - the left, or the right side module?

And, after the new module is fitted - you will need a diagnostic tool to align the long-code string and the adaptation channel values to the settings in the old module

Finally, according to the VW manual, the calibration process for the OEM module requires a special target with integrated laser pointer and a bunch of other bits-and-pieces (including an ODIS based guidance function).

I'm not sure if after-market, non-OEM radars are self calibrating

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 18-07-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

@DV52 - thanks Don.

Looks a little more complex than I initially thought. You're exactly right...do a diagnostic first. I have an OBDEleven Pro arriving soon, so hopefully that might give me an answer (plus a few cool mods).

Failing that, I did call the dealership yesterday and they said they could do I diagnostic to fault find (for $220 - a bit steep I thought but nothing new from VW haha).

Update --- I ended up taking the car to the dealership today and paid the $220 for a diagnostic (car is out warranty). All it was in the end was a software update which they were able to complete fairly quickly. No new hardware was required and blind spot monitoring is now working.

I did plug in my OBDeleven yesterday and it picked up the faults however, I wasn't willing and experienced to try and reset, code, play around etc.

FYI - I did call another VW dealership to enquire about sensor modules and installation (worst case scenario). Quote was approx $700 for each module ($1400 for master and slave), plus 4-5 of labour.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by joey87 View Post

I did plug in my OBDeleven yesterday and it picked up the faults however, I wasn't willing and experienced to try and reset, code, play around etc.
    hmm...... if this was my car and I had just paid $220 for a software update that was meant to solve a problem that randomly appeared and if the module still had errors after the fix- I would make my problem the dealer's problem!!

If all you are doing is reading the module errors with OBD11 (i.e. no changes made to coding values)- there should be no issue giving the dealer a copy of your scan results.

Don