Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Battery State of Charge (SOC)

Battery State of Charge (SOC)

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Tigger73: had a look at your thread (thanks for the link). I gota get me one of these! Any idea when the firmware upgrade for the mkVII will be available?
    I would suggest keeping an eye on the autopolar website/forum as new updates are posted there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 02-02-2014 at 09:58 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by Idle View Post
    However, to use a VCDS it has to be turned off — since they use the same data source they won't cohabit.

I think that supporting the current platform, which can itself display a few more parameters, will entail a major redesign — not holding my breath...
    You don't need to disconnect it or disable it to use VCDS - you just move the MFD to another page (eg trip computer, audio etc) and the FIS+ will close the controller, leaving VCDS free to access it.

Essentially, the FIS+ is doing exactly what VCDS is doing - polling (many of) the same interfaces, and accessing (much of) the same data; it just polls many values concurrently and presents the information in a very convenient manner. Theoretically, most - if not all - of the data able to be presented by VCDS should also be able to be presented by the FIS+ as well, firmware allowing.

AFAIK, the Mk7 platform is now their primary development focus, and as the physical hardware interface is the same, a firmware update (once finalised) should do the trick. So don't sell your FIS+ just yet, Idle!

I'll just leave this here...

Battery State of Charge (SOC)-3-jpg Battery State of Charge (SOC)-1-jpg

Sorry for going off-topic!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Will do
    Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    I would suggest keeping an eye on the autopolar website/forum as new updates are posted there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do, thanks again to all that have responded to my uninformed quesions (off-topic though my questions have been)
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    You don't need to disconnect it or disable it to use VCDS - you just move the MFD to another page (eg trip computer, audio etc) and the FIS+ will close the controller, leaving VCDS free to access it.

Essentially, the FIS+ is doing exactly what VCDS is doing - polling (many of) the same interfaces, and accessing (much of) the same data; it just polls many values concurrently and presents the information in a very convenient manner. Theoretically, most - if not all - of the data able to be presented by VCDS should also be able to be presented by the FIS+ as well, firmware allowing.

AFAIK, the Mk7 platform is now their primary development focus, and as the physical hardware interface is the same, a firmware update (once finalised) should do the trick. So don't sell your FIS+ just yet, Idle!

I'll just leave this here...

Battery State of Charge (SOC)-3-jpg Battery State of Charge (SOC)-1-jpg

Sorry for going off-topic!
    what vehicle is that? How do you get all that info?

Quote Originally Posted by ganstar View Post
    what vehicle is that? How do you get all that info?
    It's a Mk6 Golf GTI but could be any Mk6 platform vehicle with full-height MFD.

The little magic box is called an AutoPolar FIS+ which can be configured to display a whole bunch of diagnostic data in your MFD. Check the full thread over in the audio/electronics forum: Auto-Polar FIS+ Advanced - Complete Guide

These units are also compatible with Mk5 (red MFD) but again has to be full-height display to work.
    Last edited by tigger73; 04-02-2014 at 10:10 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Sorry to resurrect an old post, but it seems perfectly relevant.
    I'm currently having some battery troubles. Trying to diagnose.
    It seems my MY2017 Mk7 Golf R doesn't display any SOC.
    When pressing and holding the 0.0 button, it just shows Time.
    Did I read in some other forum or thread something about "battery module" hardware needing to be included ?
    TIA's

Edit. It my world, SOC usually means "system on a chip". I see there's many other meanings for SOC.
    Last edited by bgroper; 26-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Current : 2017 Mk7 Golf R (most options) || 2012 Golf Mk6 TDi (few options)
    Gone : 2004 Bora V6 4Motion (few klms, all options)

><(((°> ><(((°>

Quote Originally Posted by bgroper View Post
    I'm currently having some battery troubles. Trying to diagnose.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Get someone to do a proper load test on your battery to see how much current it can actually deliver (these act sort of like a large 12V toaster). There are also newer battery testers that can check battery condition without putting a large load on your battery.

If your car has auto stop/start it will have a Battery Management System (BMS) which try to minimise fuel consumption by reducing the load on the alternator. As result the voltage readings you get with the engine running can be a bit confusing. Mine can vary between 12.2 and 14.8V, mostly in the 13s.

Cars without a BMS are usually around 14.4 - 14.8V when the engine is running ( can be lower if the battery is being charged)

One useful diagnosing tool is to measure the voltage (at the battery terminals):

A When the engine has been switched off for at least 6 hours - a fully charged battery EFB battery should be around 12.6 - 12.7V (AGM 12.8+), 50% charged is 12.2 - 12.25V, anything under 12V is very low charge capacity.

B When cranking the engine, anything under 10.8V is reason to be cautious and I would definitely get a load test done (unless the battery isn't fully charged, in which case get it fully charged and try again ).

NB If you have an extra negative terminal on the firewall use this one (not the battery -ve terminal) for all load tests and charging.
    Last edited by gregozedobe; 26-07-2020 at 02:57 PM.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Thx for reply.
    Yes, my car definitely does have the Stop/Start thing, which I disabled long ago using the OBDeleven tool.
    So it seems strange that I don't have any Battery detail in the MFD when pressing the 0.0.
    I wonder whether some changes made using the OBDeleven have mistakenly disabled the Battery info ?
    Current : 2017 Mk7 Golf R (most options) || 2012 Golf Mk6 TDi (few options)
    Gone : 2004 Bora V6 4Motion (few klms, all options)

><(((°> ><(((°>

Thx for reply.
    Yes, my car definitely does have the Stop/Start thing, which I disabled long ago using the OBDeleven tool.
    So it seems strange that I don't have any Battery detail in the MFD when pressing the 0.0.
    I wonder whether some changes made using the OBDeleven have mistakenly disabled the Battery info ?
    I cannot access any SOC info from the MFD on my 2017 R either, so it's likely that VW have not enabled that particular function. I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of functionality VW have designed into the active instrument display. The data you can show at any one time is quite limited. Some people have suggested that this was deliberate, to differentiate between VW's and the more upmarket (and more expensive) Audi's.
    2017 MY18 Golf R 7.5 Wolfsburg wagon (boring white) delivered 21 Sep 2017, 2008 Octavia vRS wagon 2.0 TFSI 6M (bright yellow), 2006 T5 Transporter van 2.5 TDI 6M (gone but not forgotten).

Users Country Flag

Thx for reply.
    Look under the bonnet and see what the neutral wire is connected to. Most likely this which means you havent got the necessary hardware

This is a Tig but i guess the Golf is similar

The OBDII app will give you Battery Voltage when you open it to do something
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery State of Charge (SOC)-20200727_085446[1]-jpg  
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 27-07-2020 at 10:30 AM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast