Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battery State of Charge (SOC)

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Idle: OK. So, from your saying, am I right in thinking of the Auto Polar as as a real-time measuring platform but it uses the MDF as the read-out screen. A bit like having a VCDS sitting beside you monitring "measurement parameters" while you drive. Is this correct?
    I assume that it plugs into the ODBII plug (same as the VCDS)
    Sounds neat! Pity that it doesn't support the 5G/5Q platform
    The battery voltage read out on its own is not a very accurate indicator of the battery state of charge. The VCDS gives you heaps more data (if not all) about the battery SOC.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    With the MK6 the Autopolar reads the current charge rate as you're driving which is really only an indicator that your alternator is charging the battery. To do a proper battery test you need so calibrated equipment and a load testing machine to put a load through the battery. The battery needs to be fully charged to perform the test as you get incorrect readings if the battery is below full charge.

Start/stop sounds like a great feature for economy but I believe that due to the chemistry and how a starting battery works, the constant starting will reduce the lifetime of the battery.
    DonJuan: like you, I'm not a fan of Stop/Start. It claims to be better for the environment, but I wonder if anyone has looked at the "womb-to-tomb" lifecycle of the facility for a net benefit.

From my understanding of the facility, more energy is needed in the life cycle of stop/start because:
    • you need larger battery from the outset,
    • the battery must be charged more often
    • if you are correct about reduced battery life, battery replacement is sooner
    • you need a more robust starter motor from the outset
    • the starter motor may have to be replaced more often (not sure about this)?

On the reverse side of the equation, there is an obvious fuel saving when the engine is not running.

The question is - is there actually a net benefit over the life of the vehicle? Or perhaps the better question is: how much stop-start traffic do you need to get a net benefit (and how many of us actually experience that level of stop-start traffic)?
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

[QUOTE=Transporter;1027811]The battery voltage read out on its own is not a very accurate indicator of the battery state of charge. The VCDS gives you heaps more data (if not all) about the battery SOC.[/QUOTE

Transporter: (what is a super moderator?) Thanks, it still looks like an interesting piece-of-kit. Shame that it doesn't support the mkVII
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Idle: OK. So, from your saying, am I right in thinking of the Auto Polar as as a real-time measuring platform but it uses the MDF as the read-out screen. A bit like having a VCDS sitting beside you monitring "measurement parameters" while you drive. Is this correct?
    The Autopolar guys are working on a mk7 version. I believe this will be a firmware update to existing hardware.

This sits in the infotainment bus not in the OBD port like a lot of other devices. It physically connects in off your CANbus gateway unit and works for most mk5 and mk6 platform vehicles with full height MFD.

It allows you to display a lot of diagnostic data direct on your MFD. It also enables a number of comfort features including mirror dipping in reverse.

Theres a whole thread on this in the audio/electronics forum: Auto-Polar FIS+ Advanced - Complete Guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tigger73; 02-02-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added link

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    DonJuan: like you, I'm not a fan of Stop/Start. It claims to be better for the environment, but I wonder if anyone has looked at the "womb-to-tomb" lifecycle of the facility for a net benefit.

From my understanding of the facility, more energy is needed in the life cycle of stop/start because:
    • you need larger battery from the outset,
    • the battery must be charged more often
    • if you are correct about reduced battery life, battery replacement is sooner
    • you need a more robust starter motor from the outset
    • the starter motor may have to be replaced more often (not sure about this)?

On the reverse side of the equation, there is an obvious fuel saving when the engine is not running.

The question is - is there actually a net benefit over the life of the vehicle? Or perhaps the better question is: how much stop-start traffic do you need to get a net benefit (and how many of us actually experience that level of stop-start traffic)?
    The starter motor and the ring gear on the flywheel are beefed up in the engines with stop start technology. The AGM battery will have most likely just a normal lifespan if you use the stop start feature. I'd like to hope that one could get a double life from the AGM battery with the stop start switched off.

I am under the impression that it is not the starter motor used for the stop/start system in cars, rather a 2 stage starter solenoid.
    2014 VW Golf TDI Highline DSG - Limestone Green, DAP, Xenons
    2018 VW Golf R Hatch DSG - White Silver, DAP , Dynaudio
    2016 Skoda Superb 140TDI - Family Members
    2013 VW Amarok TDI420 Highline Auto - Family Members

No, it plugs straight into the gateway connector, remaining out of sight and leaving the ODB socket free.

However, to use a VCDS it has to be turned off — since they use the same data source they won't cohabit.

I think that supporting the current platform, which can itself display a few more parameters, will entail a major redesign — not holding my breath...
    Last edited by Idle; 02-02-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex31 View Post
    I am under the impression that it is not the starter motor used for the stop/start system in cars, rather a 2 stage starter solenoid.
    My diesel uses the starter motor in the normal way — some other brands have a method of stopping the engine at a specified point during compression, but so far as I know this can only work with spark, not compression ignition.

Incidentally, this idea is almost as old as motoring itself, "starting on the switch" was used by a few prestige makes in the early 1900's. Of course, it was chancy and if it didn't work you got out and hand-cranked the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    The Autopolar guys are working on a mk7 version. I believe this will be a firmware update to existing hardware.

This sits in the infotainment bus not in the OBD port like a lot of other devices. It physically connects in off your CANbus gateway unit and works for most mk5 and mk6 platform vehicles with full height MFD.

It allows you to display a lot of diagnostic data direct on your MFD. It also enables a number of comfort features including mirror dipping in reverse.

Theres a whole thread on this in the audio/electronics forum: Auto-Polar FIS+ Advanced - Complete Guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger73: had a look at your thread (thanks for the link). I gota get me one of these! Any idea when the firmware upgrade for the mkVII will be available?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex31 View Post
    Alex: what do you mean by "two stage starter solenoid"? Are you referring to the prime starter solenoid and the hold-in solenoid? I'm not that familiar with VW's starters, but I had thought that this was not out-of-the-ordinary for modern starter solenoids.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast