Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery dying?

Users Country Flag

Battery dying?

Hi,

My wife's 2014 Golf 2.0 TDI has been behaving a bit strangely lately. If it sits unused for a couple of days it cranks rather slowly the first start, and can be a bit sluggish in firing up even after making sure the glow plug light goes out. She's also noticed that the Bluemotion is not letting the engine stop as often when stationary. She called the dealer who said the battery checked fine in Feb so probably just the cold weather, but it's sluggish even in the middle of the day if it hasn't been used. Does it sound like the battery is on the way out?

Cheers,
    Karl
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    It's common for batteries to go in winter - harder to deliver current when colder
    But I would not have thought your QLD winter was all that cold

A battery test in Feb is fine for the month of Feb, it's now 4 months later and there is a problem
    You'll have to get a automotive electrician or a battery shop to test your battery capacity
    Then again - it's a little early for a 2014 battery to die (mine is 2011 and is fine)

Another option is to disconnect the battery and charge it - see if the next start is noticeably better
    The problem is - that does not indicate the battery capacity - only it's charge state

Are you sure there is nothing plugged into the car draining the battery when the car is not in use?
    No vehicle electrical modifications, lights, accessories, etc

The wife's Mazda3 will let the operator leave the interior light on to drain the battery flat (my Skoda is smarter)
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Some of the times when it's cranked a bit slowly the temperature has been close to 20C. No mods, only accessories are two dashcams in power sockets but the Golf cuts power to these when ignition is off. Will check interior lights.

Cheers,
    Karl
    MY18 Passat Alltrack Wolfsberg (white) darkest legal tint (SOLD), 2014 Golf 110 TDI Highline (sold after DM Flywheel issues), now 2021 RAV4 Cruiser Hybrid, 2020 C-HR Koba Hybrid

Users Country Flag
    If it is on the way out then you should be hoping it will die before the warranty period is over. VW cover batteries under the warranty IIRC.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Can anyone confirm the battery warranty? We still have 6 months of new car warranty.

Users Country Flag
    Sometimes things die prematurely... just because. So while it's possible it's dead, chances are it needs a good charge.

Short trips can kill batteries since the car doesn't get a chance to re-charge itself. If this is the case then something like a CTEK charger for a topup can be a great buy (my car is prone to short trips so I plug it in every other month for a full charge). The wifes car get's a much better run but I will still plug it a couple of times a year for a refresh cycle.

I bought (and recommend) this one:
    MXS 5.0

I'm actually tempted by this little gadget too:
    Ctek CTX Battery Sense Bluetooth Battery Monitor Iphone Android Data Logging | eBay
    Last edited by The_Hawk; 28-06-2016 at 04:42 PM.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Quote Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
    Can anyone confirm the battery warranty? We still have 6 months of new car warranty.

Battery on my Mar 2014 GTI was replaced in Feb this year (under warranty)
    Call VW Roadside assistance
    MY16 GTI 40

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hawk View Post
    Short trips can kill batteries since the car doesn't get a chance to re-charge itself.
    Great point!

I bought (and recommend) this one MXS 5.0
    I've had that charger for ~4 years - it's totally awesome
    It's one of the safest and smartest chargers out there and very affordable

It's just expensive bling mate, leads to the dark side it does, resist you must
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers

My wife usually does a 35 km trip each way to work. Plenty of time to charge. Do we need to wait for the battery to totally die?

Users Country Flag

My wife usually does a 35 km trip each way to work. Plenty of time to charge.
    Agreed

Do we need to wait for the battery to totally die?
    No - accidentally leaving the radio/etc on for a few days could help bring the issue to a point where a resolution is required

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast