Support VWWC

Thread: Anyone willing to share a backup of their Maps SD Card?

Anyone willing to share a backup of their Maps SD Card?

Hi all,
    I tried to help my wife out by updating her navigation maps in her Golf Highline and I forgot to backup the card and now she has no maps and no navigation. So I am in big trouble and have come here to see if I can get a get out of jail card!

took out the VW SD Card V3 and followed all the instructions to download and update, but I missed the step about backing up the existing card and now the car does not recognise the card at all.

I went to this site and followed the prompts: Volkswagen Map Updates
    -Chose Golf Variant from 2015 (Wife has a 2015 Golf Wagon Highline 2.0TDi)

Then there is a choice between Discover Media and Pro and I chose Pro as that is what it looks like in the car!

I also used Discover care to try and update the card.

End result is that the card is not recognised by the system.

I am using the original VW SD card to install the Discover Media download and a formatted 32GB SD card for the Pro download

The discover media download just has a maps folder - just under 6GB but no text - DiscoverMedia2_MRM3_1910_V16.7z
    The Pro has Mib1 and Mib2 folders and a text file - metainfo2 - P101_N60S5MIBH3_ROW.7z and is just under 32GB

The VW SD Card V3 original had a Master folder and a text file - that is what I didnt back up and what I need if someone is willing to share a backup of their card, Please - Or any backup of a card that would work in a 2015 Golf Highline!

Last edited by Siggy; 24-07-2022 at 09:07 AM. Reason: additional info

@ Siggy
    Firstly we need to confirm what system you have.
    Is it an MIB1 or MIB2?
    MIB1 will NOT have car play/android auto, where MIB2 will.
    Then we need to establish if it is a Discover Media or Discover Pro.
    Discover Media will have a SD card used in media slot number 2, by the sounds of it that is what you are playing with.
    Discover Pro will have your maps loaded internally into the unit. You need an external source to load such as an aftermarket SD card.

If you have the MIB1 Discover Media system and you are having problems, then you need to seek assistance from your dealer. There is a software update required to allow the SD card to load the maps from the Volkswagen Map Update site.

If you have the MIB2 Discover Media system (maps loaded only on SD card to work) than follow these instructions - https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m...ember_2020.pdf
    unzip the file to your computer and then copy over to your SD card.
    There will only be a main folder [maps] then 5 x sub folders [22,23,26,27 & EEC] no text file until you break down the 22 (etc) files - eg: 22/cfg/mapcfg/VW/variant. That being the only text file.
    The OEM SD card will have hidden folders on this card that will remain when the card is formatted, if you try and use another non OEM SD card it will fail.
    Place the SD card into slot 2 only and the map should automatically be read by the system.

If you have the Discover Pro than follow these instructions - https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m...ember_2020.pdf
    You will need your own SD card of 16 or 32 gb and this will need to be placed into slot number 1 and loaded into the unit via the software update function in your setup screen.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Flipper Dog; 24-07-2022 at 01:08 PM.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Thanks for the detailed response
    It looks like a Discover Pro - where the knobs are not at the bottom of the unit, but from your explanation it sounds like a Discover media.
    So I went back to a up to 2015 Golf and chose the Media 1, and used the Discover Care app to download, and it downloaded P57_N60S3MIBS2_ROW_NT.7z which included the Markets folder and the DbInfo text file:
    PartNumber2="5G0919866AM"
    PartNumber3="5E0051236H "
    PartNumber4="5F0060884R "
    ApplicationSoftwareVersionNumber="0034"
    SystemName=" ROW 2016 "

It wrote the above to the VW SD Card and when inserted in Slot 1 - the navigation recognised it and loaded the maps
    the Version is 2020 so a vast improvement on what she had.

So thanks to those that responded and lesson learnt in ensuring I always make a backup!

Users Country Flag
    There is VW DiscoverCare that I use in both the 2016 MY17 GTI & the T-TOC 140TSI - Once you have it on your computer then it is simply put the SD Card into an SD Card Slot on your computer unlocked & with opening DiscoverCare it checks for updates, does a backup and then download.
    Even a manual there but found this a little misleading.
    This is where I go Volkswagen Map Updates in case you haven't seen it.
    2016 (MY17) VW Golf GTI 40 Years 6 Speed Manual SOLD
    2020 VW T-ROC 140TSI Sport

Users Country Flag
    Hi Siggy,

I have a copy of this from a mate here at work . . . it's on a memory stick, send me your email address and i'll send you a link to download.

Just saw your email that you got it to work.

Good stuff

Cheers
    Phil

PS: I wish somebody could help me with a V1 Maps back up hahaaaa i'm in the same boat!
    Last edited by Fullgas62; 28-07-2022 at 07:19 AM.

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    @ Siggy
    Firstly we need to confirm what system you have.
    Is it an MIB1 or MIB2?
    MIB1 will NOT have car play/android auto, where MIB2 will.
    Then we need to establish if it is a Discover Media or Discover Pro.
    Discover Media will have a SD card used in media slot number 2, by the sounds of it that is what you are playing with.
    Discover Pro will have your maps loaded internally into the unit. You need an external source to load such as an aftermarket SD card.

If you have the MIB1 Discover Media system and you are having problems, then you need to seek assistance from your dealer. There is a software update required to allow the SD card to load the maps from the Volkswagen Map Update site.

If you have the MIB2 Discover Media system (maps loaded only on SD card to work) than follow these instructions - https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m...ember_2020.pdf
    unzip the file to your computer and then copy over to your SD card.
    There will only be a main folder [maps] then 5 x sub folders [22,23,26,27 & EEC] no text file until you break down the 22 (etc) files - eg: 22/cfg/mapcfg/VW/variant. That being the only text file.
    The OEM SD card will have hidden folders on this card that will remain when the card is formatted, if you try and use another non OEM SD card it will fail.
    Place the SD card into slot 2 only and the map should automatically be read by the system.

If you have the Discover Pro than follow these instructions - https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/m...ember_2020.pdf
    You will need your own SD card of 16 or 32 gb and this will need to be placed into slot number 1 and loaded into the unit via the software update function in your setup screen.

Good luck.

Flipper - I was quoted $680.00 from VW Waitara in Sydney NSW to do that software update on my 2013 Golf Highline