Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried out the Michelin PS5's?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    This is one thing that annoys me with tyres - even with the same name, tyres in different markets can have different tread patterns and compounds. They can change the tyres over time in the same market as well - or go the other way, where they change the name at the smell of an opportunity to pretend a tyre's new and exciting.
    im thinking at this point its all just marketing bs .. most of them are going to do the same job.. and on street driving is much of a muchness .. you probably want something more durable and doesnt aquaplane and ur good.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    more importantly to my question. whyd u go with falken? is that all the store had
    @manaz. Genuine question. Why is my post removing for "trolling" yet this sarcastic post which is only done to stirr $h!7 is left as is.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
    The little Up! and the Amarok both run Laufen S Fit EQ LK01 (which is newer than the originals tested in 2018 ). For a $100 tyre on the Up! in 205/45/15s I personally don't believe you can do better. . I feel the 10th place is undeserved ....

The Conti 6s are excellent on the R and since they are coming up for replacement this year will probably be replaced by PS 4Ss. The 5 is not the S derivative and for better performance the 4S is still king. In the future when the 5S land things may change.
    we have a budget tyre convert..

you might have to try KF550s or mayrun (same thing) on your mustang and let us know how it goes

Users Country Flag
    A Chinese company has controlling interest, yes, but they are leaving ownership as it is until at least 2023.
    if chinese has controlling interest it means they have all the things they need to build pirelli tyres in 1 or many of their manufacturers which gets passed onto other companies to build up the industries in national interest / catch up to the rest of the world... therefore u get hifly and pzero rated/scored nearly exactly the same in 2021 review. like Kinforest / Mayrun is another example cant remember which company they collaborated / took the plans from maybe it was even bridgestone.

Users Country Flag
    MOTOR Tyre Test 2018: Results

falken is inbetween pzero and hifly.. pzero and hifly are the same on the newest test ..
    Anyone tried out the Michelin PS5's?-2018-tyre-test-png

Now, I've snipped the important parts of the table out of that review together.

Not only did the Pirellis and Falkens beat the HiFly's by two and three positions respectively, but they also COMPREHENSIVELY outscored them (noting that a lower score is better) - the HiFlys scored TWICE the points as the P Zeros, and nearly twice that of the Falkens.

Why choose the Falkens? ~$70 per corner cheaper than the Pirellis at the prices mentioned, for a score of only ONE point worse. And yes, the HiFlys are half the price - but then they seem to only be half as good...
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Anyone tried out the Michelin PS5's?-2018-tyre-test-png

Now, I've snipped the important parts of the table out of that review together.

Not only did the Pirellis and Falkens beat the HiFly's by two and three positions respectively, but they also COMPREHENSIVELY outscored them (noting that a lower score is better) - the HiFlys scored TWICE the points as the P Zeros, and nearly twice that of the Falkens.

Why choose the Falkens? ~$70 per corner cheaper than the Pirellis at the prices mentioned, for a score of only ONE point worse. And yes, the HiFlys are half the price - but then they seem to only be half as good...
    yeh but a "Comphrensive" score on a chart or paper may mean very little in everyday conditions. especially with conservative driving..

Lets face it noone is doing the frickn cone test on the way to work alrite.

Also if the pirelli scored well there why did it score so close to the hifly in the 2021 test.. and where does the falken fit into that equation... in the middle or behind or infront.. thats what id like to know

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    @manaz. Genuine question. Why is my post removing for "trolling" yet this sarcastic post which is only done to stirr $h!7 is left as is.
    Because as much as you think it's trolling, there's a genuine question somewhere in it - an opportunity for real information to be gleaned. You may not like the way it's framed, but there's a genuine answer that can come out of it.

There was NO genuine question in your post. It was just a troll, nothing more, nothing less.

You've got a PM from me from a while back, maybe read it?
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Because as much as you think it's trolling, there's a genuine question somewhere in it - an opportunity for real information to be gleaned. You may not like the way it's framed, but there's a genuine answer that can come out of it.

There was NO genuine question in your post. It was just a troll, nothing more, nothing less.

You've got a PM from me from a while back, maybe read it?
    It was all genuine.. i actually wanted to know what makes someone lean to falken .. at that price range i would never consider it myself and am not too familiar with the brand but im open to hearing how someone else chooses or thinks..

Users Country Flag
    we have a budget tyre convert..

you might have to try KF550s or mayrun (same thing) on your mustang and let us know how it goes
    No thanks, in a car I drive myself daily, I'll stick to the tyre that has won more awards than any of the others. The differences are simply massive.

The Up! as a little runaround project got the cheapest performance tyres I could find without going Chinese, and yes it did surprise me (they are made by Hankook after all). To that extent I was then willing to take a chance on fitting them to the Amarok too at half the cost of the Conti's. In 255s all tyres are getting expensive and again they surprised me. If I could get PS4S in the size the Amarok needs, I probably would have gone for those, but the Laufenns are OEM on Audi Q7s so I figured they' be OK.

On the R, I won't waste my time and get PS 4Ss.

BTW, I did run Falkens on my GTI back in 2012 and they were pretty good. Not exactly cheap but less $$$ than the Contis they replaced with no noticeable drop in performance.

Also, if anybody was interested, we have Potenza RE003s on the 150TSI Golf. With MK6 GTI power the TSI certainly moves and these are pretty good too (and cheapish). They don't like being too pumped, so you need to run them softer which sort of ruins the lifespan, but certainly worth the money IMO. With that level of power I'd certainly replace them for like again in a few years time (if they last that long).
    Last edited by Sharkie; 28-06-2022 at 04:06 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag

yeh but a "Comphrensive" score on a chart or paper may mean very little in everyday conditions. especially with conservative driving..

Lets face it noone is doing the frickn cone test on the way to work alrite.

Also if the pirelli scored well there why did it score so close to the hifly in the 2021 test.. and where does the falken fit into that equation... in the middle or behind or infront.. thats what id like to know
    In regular day to day driving for regular drivers, the difference between them is all moot.

UNTIL they have to brake suddenly in the wet, or swerve (and recover, recovery's almost as important as the initial avoidance), to avoid an accident/pedestrian.

Then, you'll want the absolute best tyre money can buy. The ~$400 extra you spent on better tyres might be the difference between a near miss and a fatal accident.

Goodyear ran an excellent ad campaign for a while. "If they only save you once a year, it's a good year" or something similar.

I personally buy tyres for that once a year when I really need them. At that stage, as good a driver as I may be, I want the tyres to exceed my capabilities, not the other way around.
    Nothing to see here...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast