Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried out the Michelin PS5's?

Users Country Flag

more importantly to my question. whyd u go with falken? is that all the store had

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by amunra View Post
    what made u go with the falkens.

it looks like they arent that much 'better' than the pzero or HIFLY (same tyre?) from 1 of those reviews
    Are you suggesting that Falken (Japanese), Pirelli (Italian) and/or HiFly (Chinese) tyres are the same tyres?

Falken tyres are made in Japan, the USA and Germany. They're owned by Sumitomo (who also sell their own branded tyres, and used to make tyres for Goodyear, and still make tyres for Dunlop in certain markets. Pirelli do make tyres in China, but primarily for commercial vehicles, and only for the China market as far as I can tell, otherwise their tyres are made in Romania. HiFly are definitely Chinese made, and sold into multiple markets.

Pirelli have really fallen off as a manufacturer of late IMHO, which is a real shame, as they used to be a great tyre manufacturer.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    MOTOR Tyre Test 2018: Results

falken is inbetween pzero and hifly.. pzero and hifly are the same on the newest test ..
    That's four years ago, some of those tyres have almost certainly been replaced by different models now.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    Are you suggesting that Falken (Japanese), Pirelli (Italian) and/or HiFly (Chinese) tyres are the same tyres?

Falken tyres are made in Japan, the USA and Germany. They're owned by Sumitomo (who also sell their own branded tyres, and used to make tyres for Goodyear, and still make tyres for Dunlop in certain markets. Pirelli do make tyres in China, but primarily for commercial vehicles, and only for the China market as far as I can tell, otherwise their tyres are made in Romania. HiFly are definitely Chinese made, and sold into multiple markets.

Pirelli have really fallen off as a manufacturer of late IMHO, which is a real shame, as they used to be a great tyre manufacturer.
    i may have suggested the pirelli and hifly are the same.. i think pirelli is chinese owned now

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Manaz View Post
    That's four years ago, some of those tyres have almost certainly been replaced by different models now.
    thats what im trying to figure out myself as they use the same model names / numbers

Users Country Flag
    i may have suggested the pirelli and hifly are the same.. i think pirelli is chinese owned now
    A Chinese company has controlling interest, yes, but they are leaving ownership as it is until at least 2023.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    thats what im trying to figure out myself as they use the same model names / numbers
    This is one thing that annoys me with tyres - even with the same name, tyres in different markets can have different tread patterns and compounds. They can change the tyres over time in the same market as well - or go the other way, where they change the name at the smell of an opportunity to pretend a tyre's new and exciting.
    Nothing to see here...

Users Country Flag
    also with those tests.. there is no way a driver is going to do the same thing on every test... there is alot of driver input / error that goes into those tests and is recorded as the tyres behaviour.. yeh theyre close with a good driver but its not exact.

i would say those falken , pirelli and hifly could go on ur car with the sidewalls covered up and u wouldnt tell the difference

Users Country Flag
    falken is inbetween pzero and hifly.. pzero and hifly are the same on the newest test ..
    Its well known that PZero's are not that great of a tyre anymore. They are a very old design and other tyre makers have caught up and left them behind. Considering their premium price, there are much better options out there.

Anyone who buys a PZero over a Michelin PS4 or PS5 or Conti etc either is relying on very old info or has no idea what a premium tyre is these days.

Considering the Falken's do basically the same job for about $80 less per tyre is a good achievement. Am I saying the Falken's are the best tyre in the world - absolutely not. But for the price they are pretty good.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag

Out of that 2018 test by Motor (which btw sadly is finishing up next month), I actually have personal experience of 3 of the tyres tested ....

The little Up! and the Amarok both run Laufen S Fit EQ LK01 (which is newer than the originals tested in 2018 ). For a $100 tyre on the Up! in 205/45/15s I personally don't believe you can do better. The grip is simply amazing, it feels like it will outcorner the R which runs the Conti 6s. Similarly on the Amarok it has transformed the handling and standing start grip tremendously. The Amarok will now do about 6.2s 0-100 compared to the 6.5s on the Conti Sport Contacts I ran before (no other changes made, just tyres). I feel the 10th place is undeserved ....

The Conti 6s are excellent on the R and since they are coming up for replacement this year will probably be replaced by PS 4Ss. The 5 is not the S derivative and for better performance the 4S is still king. In the future when the 5S land things may change.

I had P-Zeros on the Mustang and they were absolute rubbish. As they aged they got even worse. Never again.
    Last edited by Sharkie; 28-06-2022 at 03:38 PM.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast