Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running E10 in their VW

Users Country Flag

Anyone running E10 in their VW

Is anyone running E10 and is it successful Is it wise as VW "recommend" not to.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Minimum is generally rated as 95. I believe E10 is classed as 94(?).

Whilst a single tank won't hurt the engine (unless your running an R engine that requires 98 min) the saving of putting E10 vs the reccomended fuel isn't worth the potential issues you will create by running less than reccomended fuel.

Also note that your ecu knows what type of fuel it is running and adjusts as needed.. but this will also apply if you try to claim warranty after causing damage from running **** fuel.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah Im in the no brigade but an idiot on Whirlpool is rabbiting on about it wont hurt it and all that s**t so just asking to see on here

He probably doesnt own one and hes quoting an engineer from a country that has low sulphur fuel so is irrelevant.

Users Country Flag
    Having been old skool air cooled for coming up to 50 years and a couple of T3 Watercooled in the mix when leaded petrol was canned and 98 became available the peace of mind was to go 98 and so all cars since have had 98 as the go go juice.
    No different with the current rides ..... 2016 MY17 GTI 40 Years and new T-ROC 140TSI Sport.
    Plenty out there trying to save $$$ but go with minimum of what is manufacturer recommended
    2016 (MY17) VW Golf GTI 40 Years 6 Speed Manual SOLD
    2020 VW T-ROC 140TSI Sport

I have saved emails from VW Australia Customer Care. They say as long as the fuel is 95RON then thats all they care about. You can get E10 from United Fuels which is 95RON. The issue is that the MON value is lower than PULP95. I raised this with VW and they said as long as its 95RON..... in any case, i only use 98RON in my Golf 110TSI...
    2008 MY09 Ibis White Audi S5 Manual SOLD!
    2017 MY18 Manganese Grey VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg SOLD!
    2018 MY18 Indium Grey VW Golf 110TSI Comfortline, DAP & Infotainment, Folding Mirrors!
    2023 MY23 Nevada White Cupra Formentor VZx

Users Country Flag
    The issue isn't the ron, blended ethanol is 120 to 135 ron and unleaded "standard" petrol is 92 ron. The simple maths are;
    10% 120 ron + 90% 92 ron = 94.8 ron
    10% 135 ron + 90% 92 ron = 96.3 ron

The issue with ethanol is it has only 65% of the calorific value of petrol, as a result E10 will run 3.5% "leaner", unless the ECU compensates for the ethanol content and hence adds 3.5% more fuel. I am not aware of our cars having ethanol sensors in the fuel tank, so unlikely that they do automatic compensation.

All things being equal, which they rarely are, E10 fuel usage should be around 3.5% more than Pump 95, so there is some money to be saved, but not as much as would first appear.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Yeah Im in the no brigade but an idiot on Whirlpool is rabbiting on about it wont hurt it and all that s**t so just asking to see on here

He probably doesnt own one and hes quoting an engineer from a country that has low sulphur fuel so is irrelevant.
    My question is what are you doing on whirlpool in the first place???

Also on these fuel/octane related questions the absolute best way to test is to run a tank of fuel in your car and log the timing retardation per cylinder. This will tell you how much work the ECU is having to do to keep things running.

Also to note as soon as the ECU starts to pull timing you're going to impact on the power output so even though it may run you'll be down on power.
    Last edited by tigger73; 08-01-2021 at 01:52 PM.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by tigger73 View Post
    My question is what are you doing on whirlpool in the first place???

Stirring the crap out of the VW haters and other idiots LOL

Is a fun thing and its unbelievable how many know so little about cars LOL

Will be down on power when the motor s******s itself from pinking for too long and running lean till it dies

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Stirring the crap out of the VW haters and other idiots LOL
    Is a fun thing and its unbelievable how many know so little about cars LOL
    Will be down on power when the motor s******s itself from pinking for too long and running lean till it dies
    The ECU corrects for both of those via the knock sensors and the lambda sensor. If it's outside of the ECU's ability to compensate then it will show the engine check light.

Cheers
    Gary
    Golf Mk7.5 R, Volvo S60 Polestar, Skyline R32GTST

Quote Originally Posted by Sydneykid View Post
    The ECU corrects for both of those via the knock sensors and the lambda sensor. If it's outside of the ECU's ability to compensate then it will show the engine check light.

Cheers
    Gary
    If so why then do VW say only to use it in an emergency and fill with 95 ASAP. If it did as you say it surely would be ok to use 91.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast