Support VWWC

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Anyone With a Mk7 Gti PP had it tuned?

I thought the turbos on the E888 are watercooled and a pump to circulate coolant continues to operate after shut off?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
    Overall, where does the average Golf R owner stand, who doesn't have a turbocharger of at least Revision 4 standard? It seems to me there is a ticking time bomb under the hood, and nobody knows when, if ever, it will trigger a catastrophic failure. Sure, during the warranty period, you're covered if you have left the ECU stock, but after that you are probably on your own. One thing is for sure, resale values are set to plummet.
    This is what happens when a car manufacturer goes to an all-new model/platform. It takes a few years for all the bugs to get ironed out... and sometimes there are just some things which are inherent to the design which will have to be designed out in the next generation.

In all seriousness if you want to go silly with tuning then buy yourself a low km Mk6 R and go nuts.... The Mk6 R was an end of life platform which was well sorted in terms of reliability.

If you've got a Mk7 you can risk it or wait until the Mk8 comes out and this will hopefully fix up all the issues in the Mk7.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Quote Originally Posted by aj555 View Post
    I thought the turbos on the E888 are watercooled and a pump to circulate coolant continues to operate after shut off?
    So is that what that noise is? My GTI makes all sorts of 'clicks' and 'whines' after I turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey1 View Post
    My Golf R was built in June 2015 and has the 702N - Revision 2 turbocharger. You have quoted the part number as 722N. Is that a typo? If it is, then it doesn't make much sense than your S3 sedan built in January 2015 still uses the same part number when 722 H - Revision 4 should have been available since October 2014.
    Sorry, 722H is my turbo, not 722N; I've updated my previous post. I'm guessing your June 2015 build is actually 2014? We're in June 2015 now.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_H View Post
    I switched my own turbo out as it was being driven by magazines / journalists / pro drivers & I didn't want it to fail during this test. They are a couple of grand delivered from the US.

The latest version compared to my version "1" had a different wastegate mechanism, and electronic controller. Visibly different.
    Which version have you fitted now Guy? 722H?

Edit: Just seen your post on ozAudi; 722H it is!
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    My mid-January 2015 build S3 uses exactly the same model of turbocharger as my father's S3 built in July 2014 - and that's the 722H revision turbo that is still being fitted to all Rs and S3s at the factory AFAIK (happy to be corrected if anyone has any concrete details?). (See this post to determine your turbo part number.)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Sorry, 722H is my turbo, not 722N; I've updated my previous post. I'm guessing your June 2015 build is actually 2014? We're in June 2015 now.
    OK, your revised post makes much more sense now, though I think your father's S3 may have the same turbo part number I have (702N), as yes, I also have made a typo with the year and a mistake with the month. My build date was July 2014 (week 30), the same month as your father's S3.

I envy your perfect timing in having an S3 with the 4th revised turbo, neatly avoiding the pitfalls of being an early adopter.

So to re-hijack back my own thread and well.....send it a bit off topic I drove a Manual base model MY15 GTI today and a manual MY15 R and I hate to say it but I actually preferred the gti!

The gti felt more lively and responsive, easier to have fun with within the speed limit (80km/h) I found the R too hard for everyday use, less responsive to throttle at revs and the exhaust note to harsh in the midrange.

Flame on!
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by thezoneR32 View Post
    So to re-hijack back my own thread and well.....send it a bit off topic I drove a Manual base model MY15 GTI today and a manual MY15 R and I hate to say it but I actually preferred the gti!

The gti felt more lively and responsive, easier to have fun with within the speed limit (80km/h) I found the R too hard for everyday use, less responsive to throttle at revs and the exhaust note to harsh in the midrange.

Flame on!
    And you would be able to own a std one Paul?? I bet a tuned R would be a different car entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by h100vw View Post
    And you would be able to own a std one Paul?? I bet a tuned R would be a different car entirely.
    hey Gav hows things in sunny QLD? I cant believe your min temps are the same as our maximum! Character building weather down here.

yeah I don't care so much for the bling anymore, but I do like the idea of the MY16 having bi-xenons, push button start and the upgraded nav unit as standard. Do you have a tune for the mk7 yet?
    Volvo S60 RD T6

Users Country Flag

I don't have the PP but I do have the basica Stage 1 Revo tune on it. Different car after it for sure. Quite angry now, and considerably quicker across the board. Love it!

Next step is the intake I think.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456